Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brake light came on my dash yesterday and its not brake fluid and i have never used my emergency brake. I’ve gotten new brake pads and they aren’t even a year old. Usually it just dings once to let me know it’s on, but today sometimes when i brake it went off and then came back on right away and made the ding sound again. I’m just wondering what things it could possibly be. I had a couple places scan it and nothing came up. It just said no diagnosis

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,493 Posts
The brake light can come on for several reasons. Low brake fluid, low pressure in the system, parking brake on (or faulty parking brake switch/wiring), master cylinder issue, or an electrical issue. To scan for codes in the brake system, the scanner would have to be able to scan brake systems. Not all scanners can, but any scanner a shop would have should be able to. Since you live in the rust belt, try parking over a clean spot somewhere, then pumping the brakes 10-20 times. Then move the Jeep and look for wet spots where you had been parked. That should tell you if you are leaking fluid somewhere.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The brake light can come on for several reasons. Low brake fluid, low pressure in the system, parking brake on (or faulty parking brake switch/wiring), master cylinder issue, or an electrical issue. To scan for codes in the brake system, the scanner would have to be able to scan brake systems. Not all scanners can, but any scanner a shop would have should be able to. Since you live in the rust belt, try parking over a clean spot somewhere, then pumping the brakes 10-20 times. Then move the Jeep and look for wet spots where you had been parked. That should tell you if you are leaking fluid somewhere.
i had 2 people scan and nothing came up. my brake fluid is full when i got that. i’m getting my car looked at next week for an air issue and they are gonna look to see if they can see why my brake light is on

·
Registered
2016 Patriot Sport SE 2.0L FWD
11 Posts
I just did it in my Pat and it works. YOU HAVE TO CYCLE THE KEY REALLY FAST SO THE DASH LIGHTS DO NOT COME ON (NOT LIKE THE FIRST TIME IN THE VIDEO). THREE TIMES TO THE "ON" POSITION REALLY FAST, LEAVING IT AT THE "ON" POSITION IN THE THIRD TIME. The odometer area will show CODES AND/OR dashed lines and there will be 5 chimes, finally ending in "done".

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got it looked at but my brake light didn’t come on yet but he said everything is good with my brakes so he thinks it’s either a wire or a sensor

·
Registered
15 Posts
If there are no error codes reporting with a pro scanner that can read ABS codes, then next logical suspect would be a faulty e-brake sensor reporting that e-brake is applied when it's not. A faulty wire/connection in that circuit is also a possibility.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts