Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last week I bought a used 2009 Patriot 2WD with a CVT, and 140K miles. Test drove it on Saturday, and went to pick it up Monday at noon. They brought it back from its state inspection at 3pm. It's like the Jeep I drove home is a different vehicle. About half way through my hour drive home, the RPMs started jumping - 2k to 4k, down to 1.5, then up to 3. Not a couple times, but the entire way home. It did not go into limp mode, and no check engine lights. So I drove it home slow.

Tuesday morning, we changed spark plugs, air filter, and plugged it in to the diagnostics at my work. It threw 3 codes, still no check engine light.
P0700 - TCM code
P0777 - Stuck solenoid code
P161B - Battery disconnect code

Later the check engine popped on and we bought a transmission dipstick to realize it was crazy low on transmission fluid. In this time, it became obvious that this used car lot had done something to my jeep before I picked it up. I assume the 5 hours it took them to inspect it, and the 3 hours late that it arrived back at the car lot, had something to do with them messing with something and then trying to fix it and make it run right.

Since we filled up the tranny fluid, the only obvious issues happen when the engine is cold. Upon starting it and driving without the engine warmed up, it seems to not want to move forward. Slightly pressing the gas pedal causes the RPMs to go up to 3K without the acceleration really matching it. It also now shudders / rattles / shakes when coming to a stop and taking off. It did not do that when i test drove it, not even slightly. And while cruising along at a steady speed, the RPMs will jump up and down by about 1000, but kind of rhythmically, and then it stops on its own. All of these issues, except the shuddering, stop once the engine is warm. When the engine is warm, it drives nearly perfect.

Important note that we had the check engine light shut off, and since then it's been driven over 200 miles. The light has not came back on and the diagnostics show no codes.

It does have an appointment at a transmission shop late next week. In the meantime, we've been trying to figure out what is going on with it when the engine is cold. It seems like it could be the throttle body, or it could be a clogged transmission filter, or it could be the torque converter. But I'm reluctant to throw money at it, only to have the transmission shop tell us it's an expensive repair, and we've nickel and dimed it all away guessing at problems. We were considering replacing the throttle body and changing out transmission fluid and filter. This will all amount to around $600, and I was depending on selling my other vehicle, but now I'm afraid to. So these things can quickly deplete the funds I have left to fix it.

Any ideas as to what they could have done to it at the "inspection", or what might help it in the meantime before it goes to the transmission shop, are appreciated. The drain and fill of the transmission fluid seems very necessary. The throttle position sensor matches the symptoms, but not the codes that were on the diagnostics. Just need direction!

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Patriot 4x4
243 Posts
Last week I bought a used 2009 Patriot 2WD with a CVT, and 140K miles. Test drove it on Saturday, and went to pick it up Monday at noon. They brought it back from its state inspection at 3pm. It's like the Jeep I drove home is a different vehicle. About half way through my hour drive home, the RPMs started jumping - 2k to 4k, down to 1.5, then up to 3. Not a couple times, but the entire way home. It did not go into limp mode, and no check engine lights. So I drove it home slow.

Tuesday morning, we changed spark plugs, air filter, and plugged it in to the diagnostics at my work. It threw 3 codes, still no check engine light.
P0700 - TCM code

Later the check engine popped on and we bought a transmission dipstick to realize it was crazy low on transmission fluid. In this time, it became obvious that this used car lot had done something to my jeep before I picked it up. I assume the 5 hours it took them to inspect it, and the 3 hours late that it arrived back at the car lot, had something to do with them messing with something and then trying to fix it and make it run right.

Since we filled up the tranny fluid, the only obvious issues happen when the engine is cold. Upon starting it and driving without the engine warmed up, it seems to not want to move forward. Slightly pressing the gas pedal causes the RPMs to go up to 3K without the acceleration really matching it. It also now shudders / rattles / shakes when coming to a stop and taking off. It did not do that when i test drove it, not even slightly. And while cruising along at a steady speed, the RPMs will jump up and down by about 1000, but kind of rhythmically, and then it stops on its own. All of these issues, except the shuddering, stop once the engine is warm. When the engine is warm, it drives nearly perfect.

Important note that we had the check engine light shut off, and since then it's been driven over 200 miles. The light has not came back on and the diagnostics show no codes.

It does have an appointment at a transmission shop late next week. In the meantime, we've been trying to figure out what is going on with it when the engine is cold. It seems like it could be the throttle body, or it could be a clogged transmission filter, or it could be the torque converter. But I'm reluctant to throw money at it, only to have the transmission shop tell us it's an expensive repair, and we've nickel and dimed it all away guessing at problems. We were considering replacing the throttle body and changing out transmission fluid and filter. This will all amount to around $600, and I was depending on selling my other vehicle, but now I'm afraid to. So these things can quickly deplete the funds I have left to fix it.

Any ideas as to what they could have done to it at the "inspection", or what might help it in the meantime before it goes to the transmission shop, are appreciated. The drain and fill of the transmission fluid seems very necessary. The throttle position sensor matches the symptoms, but not the codes that were on the diagnostics. Just need direction!

P0700 - TCM code

Hello and welcome to the Jeep group. Sorry to hear about all your issue with the Jeep first servicing the Trans is the best thing you can the CVTs should be serviced at 30.000 miles and do both filters. as for the rest of your issues I am not as versed as most of the rest of these Jeep masters on this site. I am sure you will get lots of good answers and info soon. Hang in there.

Reactions: Sandstone

·
Administrator
8,082 Posts

P0700 - TCM code

Welcome to the forum.

A fluid and filter change can't hurt (drain and fill), but may not solve the problems if damage has already occurred.

P0777, and judder/shuddering/rpm fluctuation can be related to a failing flow control valve in the pump due to scoring of the valve and body which results in loss of pressure causing the belt to slip/ shudder, etc.
This scoring happens due to the fluid not getting changed soon enough and becoming contaminated with tiny metal bits from break-in / normal operation of the transmission.
I recommend the factory fill be changed at 30k then 30-50k thereafter depending on driving conditions. Temp extremes, towing, mountain driving etc. means more frequent changes.

Repair of the valve requires removal and disassembly of the transmission.
Video below has more info:

You can ask the transmission shop if they can check the transmission pressures to confirm if that's what's wrong.

Here's more info on pressures, etc.

·
Registered
62 Posts

P0700 - TCM code

Sad thing about these Patriots is they are not that reliable vehicles. Sad because I like pats but they are money pits

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,432 Posts
Is it really all that bad?
Other than the transmission, no, they're not that bad. In 300,000 miles the tranny on my '08 failed twice, but fortunately it was covered under the factory lifetime warranty, both times. The key here is frequent (50,000 mile) tranny service.

Aside from the tranny, I had very few problems. A wiring problem requiring a new engine harness at 200,000 was the only other major repair. My struts and throttle body lasted past 250,000. My 2014 Patriot is still perking along just fine at 180,000 miles. It has a 5-spd manual transmission.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,300 Posts
Unfortunately, a lot of people equate 1 to all. IE: my Patriot was the biggest piece of junk ever, therefore ALL Patriots are piles of [email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts