Jeep Patriot Forums banner

201 - 212 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I entered this post late and didn't have time to read each and every contribution. With that said, as someone who served in the military and as a government contractor, I can tell you there is no other obstacle as formidable as a wall when trying to penetrate a perimeter. Yes it can be defeated. But in most cases, not by people carrying all their worldly possessions and tired from a long haul. A wall is a great deterrent. If you do the math, if a wall only stops 10% of the invaders, it will more than pay for itself in only a couple of years.
That said, we should also set and enforce extreme penalties for those in our country that don't obey immigration laws. No more petty fines for those employing, housing, transporting, aiding or abbeding illegal criminal aliens. The laws on the books already make all these things illegal. If illegals have no place to work, live, get aid or help, they will not come and the ones here will self deport. Federal, state and local governments must also be held accountable. They break immigration laws with impunity.

This is the federal law on record. Read it and you will be surprised how often our "leaders" break the law and how seldom the law is upheld.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1324
That's the real kicker though - according to the subject matter expert in the link I provided, even an authorized wall will not have a chance at being completed in a couple of years, let alone in a couple of presidencies.

Danger Aaron posted photos of a simple way to defeat a wall: a shovel.

There are far more reasons not to have a wall than to have a wall. As I said before, Trump's biggest campaign promise was the promise for a wall. Even if (read: when) the wall never materializes, he will continue to push for it because it'll get him votes next year, efficacy be damned.

If you have the time, please read through the link I posted. The author more than makes a case against the impracticality, and impossibility, of a border wall construction project.
These aren't just slabs of cement and iron we're talking about. These walls will seismic sensors. IR tech and ground penetrating radar. As I said, its a deterrent. Its not a fix all. If it stops 10% over 10 years, it would save American tax payers over 100 billion dollars. Most immigrants are like water. They will seek the least path of resistance. Walls in remote, hard to patrol areas will funnel invaders to places they will get caught. We have approximately 18000 border control personnel on the southern border. About 40% are administrative and not in tue field. That leaves less than 10000 to patrol 2000 miles of border. That's about one agent per 1/4 mile if they traveled alone and worked 24/7/365. Realistically, its about one agent per mile. That's still considering their travel alone, which they don't. A wall would be a great tool for the CBC.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
BREAKING NEWS:

Trump announces 'national emergency' on the border and will spend $8 BILLION on his wall after signing bill to avoid another shutdown

*President signed emergency declaration, taking control of the border battle
*Congress gave him less than $1.4 billion in funding for his wall
*He'll supplement that with another $6.5 billion in repurposed money from existing accounts that Congress never intended for use building barriers
*President continues to insist the nation is being invaded by illegal immigrants and that most of the country's drug epidemic is fueled by border-jumpers
*Pointed to 'Angel moms' in the front row of the White House Rose Garden, holding up pictures of loved ones killed by illegal immigrants
*Predicted he would be sued in federal court for redirecting money to his wall project, just like with his travel ban

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6709325/Trump-announces-national-emergency-border.html

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,558 Posts
As happy as I am that Pelosi finally offered something, even so relatively little, for the wall, I must confess that I don't want to see that particular bill signed anymore after hearing some of the utter crap it allows for. Democrats may just say, "but it's got your precious wall funding!!!" but we don't need to sell our red-white-and-blue blooded souls to see the right thing done. Just gotta use the stuff confiscated from that "El Chapo" guy to pay for it, right?

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
I always knew it would end like this but thought that those democrats would have a least met in the middle.

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
I always knew it would end like this but thought that those democrats would have a least met in the middle.
Meh, they just want an excuse to use a "national emergency" for one of their pet projects. ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
Wall prototypes torn down, new 30' high barrier construction to begin.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-wall/trump-border-wall-prototypes-torn-down-to-make-way-for-new-barrier-idUSKCN1QH08H

(Reuters) - The prototypes for President Donald Trump’s contest for a border wall near San Diego, California, were torn down on Wednesday, to make way for a new section of actual border fencing.

To the president’s supporters, the eight 30-foot-high (9-meter) models were a symbol of his commitment to build a wall along the length of the U.S. Mexico border to enhance national security. To opponents, they were a waste of taxpayer money and an affront to Mexico and immigrants.

“Since the test and evaluation of these prototype models is complete, they have served their purpose and are now being removed,” U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) spokesman Ralph DeSio said in a statement.

Using jackhammers, ladders and blow torches, military special forces and CBP special units spent weeks trying to go under, over and through the walls to test their strengths and weaknesses.

The tests of the eight prototypes, which Supervisory Border Patrol Agent Michael Scappechio of the San Diego sector said cost between $300,000 and $500,000 each to build, showed the effectiveness of the kind of steel post, or “bollard,” fence that already exists along large sections of the border.

Now, a new 30-foot-high bollard fence is being built as a secondary barrier along a 14-mile (22.5 km) section, behind an existing, 18-feet-high bollard fence, Scappechio said.

The ability of agents to see through a barrier is crucial to their safety, and a fence made out of steel posts or “bollards” is easier to repair when breached and relatively cost effective, he said, while the 30-foot height is a deterrent to climbers.

The fence will also incorporate fiber optic sensor, Scappechio said.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
We will see if it actually gets built. I am still leaning towards it won't happen.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
A symbolic section will be built, watch.

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
The mayor just backed down on the C&D.

SUNLAND PARK, N.M. —
https://www.koat.com/article/group-takes-matters-into-their-own-hands-building-private-border-wall-city-mayor-halts-construction/27635904
Construction crews went back to work on a private border wall in Sunland Park, on Thursday, after the city mayor rescinded a cease and desist order delivered to the owners of the land earlier this week.

"This wall represents what private individuals can do when we team up and decide we want to help," said Kris Kobach, the general council of We Build the Wall. "the relevant work permits were issued by the city this morning. The city now agrees with us that there was no violation of any ordinance in the city of Sunland Park."

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,558 Posts
"Free Jeep parts for anybody who helps build the wall" and I wonder how many of us would go. Or, "free guns for anybody who helps", haha. I can see it now....stacks of Tommy guns, M1 Garands, Browning M2's and M1919's, Colt 1911's,........

201 - 212 of 212 Posts