Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '09 Patriot Sport does not have any bodyside molding or bumper rub strips. I want to apply them myself, but have never done so before.

According to the instructions, I'd use a wax stripper, then rubbing alcohol, wipe with a clean damp rag and dry. Then I'm supposed to apply an adhesive accelerator before actually applying the self-stick moldings & rub strips.

Has anyone had experience with this kind of thing before?
Any ideas or tips for this sort of application?

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
110 Posts
My '09 Patriot Sport does not have any bodyside molding or bumper rub strips. I want to apply them myself, but have never done so before.

According to the instructions, I'd use a wax stripper, then rubbing alcohol, wipe with a clean damp rag and dry. Then I'm supposed to apply an adhesive accelerator before actually applying the self-stick moldings & rub strips.

Has anyone had experience with this kind of thing before?
Any ideas or tips for this sort of application?

Thanks,
Ed
Can you post a link to what you bought? I would love to see pictures. Thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We got the "Jeep Green" Patriot Sport. We had a '96 Green Cherokee that was green and had bodyside molding that was about 2" wide - Black top & bottom with a bright red stripe in the middle. I really liked that look, but my wife wanted something different this time.

I wanted MDG121 with a red stripe; she got MDG121 with the chrome
http://www.customautotrim.com/products/moldings/body_1_1eights.htm

for the bumper protection-
http://www.customautotrim.com/products/moldings/bumper.htm
MDG099B

Hope to install them later this week. Will post pics when I'm done.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for posting the links. I like that. I have a black sport. My bumber is the silver color. I want to add some chrome accents for contrast. I think the MDG121 would look nice on a black Pat. Where on the bumper would you put this since the word Patriot goes across your bumper? I live in the City of Chicago and I do not think the corner bumper protection would be enough.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used the MDG099B (8' kit). I put a strip about 19" long about 3/8" below PATRIOT, then I put a strip on each side of the word PATRIOT starting about an inch away from PATRIOT and ending about 1" before the edge of the bumper cover. The only thing I may have done differently if I could would be to go outward from the PATRIOT and stop just short of the "break line" on the bumper cover instead of going across it. It's actually my wifes' vehicle and she said she likes the extra protection, so I'll probably leave it as is.
When I figure out how to post a pic, I'll do so.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jaxx-
Hopefully, this link will show you the pics. I actually would have preferred to NOT install the strips, but couldn't bear the thought of leaving such a painted surface with no protection.
http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb146/mavgrbbr/Jeep/

If you like them, I have a FULL UNUSED 8' length that I didn't need (only needed one 8' piece. Had about 3 inches left over.) It's yours for $30. - includes shipping. Will save you about $5.00 off the retail purchase.

Ed

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry guys, are things that bad out there that you have to add strips to the bumper to protect it??? I would personally live with a few bumps and scratches than to put those black rubber strips on my bumpers. It would be a little better if they were body color, but black? To each their own, I guess. Maybe this is a statement about NY drivers. But in the Midwest, even in the dense Chicago area, this is a non-issue...

Now, door-dings are an issue and I support bodyside molding. Again, I prefer body-color molding - perhaps with a subtle chrome insert.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I think it's more of a matter of protecting ones investment. I have thought about it and would keep it black. I have the Sport Light Sandstone and it would blend in perfectly. Bunch of idiots out there that like to park into ones bumper and such.

If I were into off-roading then I wouldn't do it probably.

Body color would look awesome IMO but then, if the body colored strip got scratched or whatever... same issue as what I am attempting to prevent.

But that's just me. Must be getting old... or to many whirlwind frying pan bangs against the head.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sorry guys, are things that bad out there that you have to add strips to the bumper to protect it??? I would personally live with a few bumps and scratches than to put those black rubber strips on my bumpers. It would be a little better if they were body color, but black? To each their own, I guess. Maybe this is a statement about NY drivers. But in the Midwest, even in the dense Chicago area, this is a non-issue...

Now, door-dings are an issue and I support bodyside molding. Again, I prefer body-color molding - perhaps with a subtle chrome insert.
I live in downtown Chicago! My mountaineer bumper was pretty torn up! I was just in Manhattan last week and to be honest I thought the people parking on the streets of NY were kinder than Chicago street parkers! I have a garage for when I am at home but when park on the streets people are evil! With the high winds here you have to have door protection. I am definately getting that! Plus it gives dimension to the Patriot. The doors look so blah. Also my PAT is black so you would not really see the black so it would blend in more.

·
Registered
110 Posts
jaxx-
Hopefully, this link will show you the pics. I actually would have preferred to NOT install the strips, but couldn't bear the thought of leaving such a painted surface with no protection.

If you like them, I have a FULL UNUSED 8' length that I didn't need (only needed one 8' piece. Had about 3 inches left over.) It's yours for $30. - includes shipping. Will save you about $5.00 off the retail purchase.

Ed
Thanks for the offer. I will consider it. You did a nice job. Not crazy about the look of 3 pieces though to be honest. Would it still protect if it was one straight line below the word patriot? I am some what leaning towards the bars. I saw one today with the bar on the back and the front. I liked it.... my 7yr old love it. LOL! Still undecided. I am looking at what everyone is adding and deciding what I like.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Gee, thanks for your UNSOLICITED opinion. Like you said, to each their own. Glad things are SO much better out there in the Midwest...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the offer. I will consider it. You did a nice job. Not crazy about the look of 3 pieces though to be honest. Would it still protect if it was one straight line below the word patriot? I am some what leaning towards the bars. I saw one today with the bar on the back and the front. I liked it.... my 7yr old love it. LOL! Still undecided. I am looking at what everyone is adding and deciding what I like.
I think the 2 pieces to the side are better positioned for some degree of protection - at the mid-bumper level. The piece below PATRIOT is an attempt to get at least SOME protection for that area. Like I said, if I could do it over, I would have cut the side pieces so that they ended just before the "break" line in the bumper. But they are where they are now, and trust me, when I put something on to stay, it usually stays. I'm not going to try to remove and replace at this point.
Good luck in your quest to find what works for you. I searched for quite some time, and these worked best for me - somewhat subtle protection.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think the 2 pieces to the side are better positioned for some degree of protection - at the mid-bumper level. The piece below PATRIOT is an attempt to get at least SOME protection for that area. Like I said, if I could do it over, I would have cut the side pieces so that they ended just before the "break" line in the bumper. But they are where they are now, and trust me, when I put something on to stay, it usually stays. I'm not going to try to remove and replace at this point.
Good luck in your quest to find what works for you. I searched for quite some time, and these worked best for me - somewhat subtle protection.
Actually I do not mind that the side pieces wrap. Here in Chicago people hit the sides because they are trying to squeeze into a parking spot that is to small or they simply do not know how to park! I walked out of my house today and in front of my home is my neighbors big SUV and he has this big red smear on this front passenger side corner of his SUV. It is obvious he tried to squeeze into a spot to small and the car in front of him was red!

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I have seen cars in the city (Albany, NYC, etc) that use a hanging bumper pad to protect the rear bumpers, it looks like it folds down from the trunk/cargo area. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Door dings are annoying, anything that will help works for me. Nice job!

·
Unofficial OU Blingmobile
1,060 Posts
jaxx-

Ed
Those turned out really nice. So, I can expect you in Oklahoma some time soon to install mine?:banana:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those turned out really nice. So, I can expect you in Oklahoma some time soon to install mine?:banana:
Sure! Just a couple of minor additional charges-
*round trip airfare, transportation, meals, nice hotel for a night (or two).
What the heck - I'll even throw in the labor for FREE!:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
For those interested, I just added pics of the body side molding I put on my Patriot-

Something a little different than the typical OEM Jeep moldings. You can also see the Weathertech vent shades in one of the pics

·
Registered
107 Posts
OK, I concede. The side moldings are very well done and look nice. The front bumper looks good. Now, on the rear would it have been possible to do a single piece above the Patriot logo (and perhaps do the black inserts on the logo)? I think it is the three separate pieces that break it up too much for me. I'm really not being critical, just a comment.

Any issues with keeping those in-channel vent shades in place? I have used the Lund ones that attach with double-stick tape, but would prefer the in-channels ones as they look like a cleaner install.

I like the mudflaps, too. Gotta get those myself. The overall black on Jeep green (door handles, mirrors, etc) I like. Thanks for posting pics.

·
Registered
110 Posts
For those interested, I just added pics of the body side molding I put on my Patriot-

Something a little different than the typical OEM Jeep moldings. You can also see the Weathertech vent shades in one of the pics
I really like the moldings! Did you already share that link with me. I forget at this point. Are you are fireman? That looks like our fire dept medallions in your front window. My gramps retired from Chicago FD

1 - 20 of 29 Posts