Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, can someone please give me a rational explanation why you should block out the license plate on the photos that are posted? What possible damage could some lunatic do to me if he had that info? What's to stop the lunatics from doing that damage to me when they see me driving down the road with an unblocked license plate? Some of you may know something that I've overlooked.

P.S. No offense to the lunatics that belong to this forum...You know who you are. :D

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Hey all, can someone please give me a rational explanation why you should block out the license plate on the photos that are posted? What possible damage could some lunatic do to me if he had that info?
Since everything on this forum is available to everyone in the world, there are means and ways that are not to difficult to look up license plate registration information, and find out where someone lives.

Example: Lets say somebody spends $8,000 on stereo equipment and puts it in the car, and wants to post pictures for everyone to see the cool project he did. Lets say his license plate information is in photo's. Lunatic looks up plate info, steals car because he wants to.

If nothing else, it is another safe guard for anyone posting. I have seen pictures on here with license plate info, and I have seen pictures with it grayed out. If I were posting photo's on the internet, you'd better believe I am not posting any with personally identifiable information

·
Seriously Addicted
4,074 Posts
Well I may be taking this way out of proportion but... I know with certain camera's such as the Iphone 4. If you take a picture your exact location is embedded in the picture. It's called geotagging. So if you were to take a picture of your ride with your 8,000 dollar stereo equipment and post it to the internet. Someone can still figure out where you live even though your license plate is blacked out. I know that's kind of ridiculous but if theres a will theres a way.

Infohttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geotagging

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
I say protect yourself any way you can. Sure someone can just break into your car because they want to, and they don't even need to know about the internet. Sure you could have pictures that are embedded with GPS info should you chose to use that kind of device for your pictures. It doesn't mean that I would be willing to throw caution to the wind and use less safe guards.

If you want, you can post pictures of your cool stuff and include your GPS location, your name, address, license plate number, the hours you go to work, etc.

Or you can use a camera that does not geotag, and block out any personally identifiable information before you post. Would something bad happen if you don't? I don't know, I don't want to know. I will protect my information :)

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,679 Posts
I dont bother with Plate blocking!! However in the UK we have " Vehicle Cloning " 2 cars -same make & model, same colour - one of them stolen , one of them yours!! also with a false Road Tax disc on the windscreen. Maybe then used in a robbery or sold on for profit , by auto theft gangs.

The Avenger is such a rare sight on British roads that the chances of getting cloned are remote. There are only about 1300 Avengers in whole of UK . Of those only a few % will be Black SXT 2.4 Autos , as this was the worst selling Avenger.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Just personal preference in my case. It is so easy to obtain your name, address and social security number just from a license plate (especially in my state). My question would be why is it an issue to block out your plate number. I usually do not enter my correct information into any site as a precaution.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
I know with certain camera's such as the Iphone 4. If you take a picture your exact location is embedded in the picture. It's called geotagging. So if you were to take a picture of your ride with your 8,000 dollar stereo equipment and post it to the internet. Someone can still figure out where you live even though your license plate is blacked out.
That is a good point and I am glad you brought it up. For those who are trying to keep personally Identifiable information off the internet, it is a good thing to let them know so they take precautions against it, although I thought geo-tagging was an optional setting, and I thought it had to be shared a certain way to work. Guess it depends on the device

I dont bother with Plate blocking!! However in the UK we have " Vehicle Cloning " 2 cars -same make & model, same colour - one of them stolen , one of them yours!! also with a false Road Tax disc on the windscreen. Maybe then used in a robbery or sold on for profit , by auto theft gangs..
That is a good point on the use of the license plate number and why some people may choose to block it.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
there's also dealerships and warantees to consider.
...Like proof that it has been in 35" of water, or someone attempted a 5" lift and the axles fell off because someone posted a picture it on a forum with a license plate. Good point

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Now that is a very good point to bring up, Mr BS! In this day and age of massively powerful search engines, there's nothing to stop an insurance company, as a matter of routine, simply punching your licence plate into Google or something and seeking out what adventures your car's been in! It might not be routine just yet but wait a year or two, eh? Look at all those dozey teenagers who've been posting all their crazy drunken exploits up on Facebook, Twitter and all that cräp and then wonder why they aren't getting short-listed for interviews with jobs in banks, hospitals, teacher-training colleges, government agencies, investment brokers and the like...

Rocal

·
Patriot Crash Test Dummy
1,357 Posts
I see both sides of the argument here. I understand why people would want to keep they're info private, but you plate number is public record. Hundreds if not thousands of people see my plate everyday and any one of them could look up my address. What's even worse about that is that the people who see it already live here and could just follow me home. What do you think is the bigger threat? If im in Virginia Beach, somebody in Nebraska that saw a picture of my stereo online isn't nearly as serious a problem as a guy who live 3 streets over who HEARD my stereo as I drove past his house. Privacy is important, but I personally think that the effort of blocking out plates in pictures is an exercise in futility...

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,679 Posts
Yep I agree with Weatherman ---we have to drive around all day long with visible plates. Try obscuring your pates on a daily basis & I'm sure the Police will have something to say about it.

Big offence in UK to have your plates obscured by any means!!

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
The point is that yes, anyone that sees me driving around my area can get my plate and check my info. The difference is by posting your plate on websites it gives Andre or Boris in Russia your information, which could include name, address, dob and SSN. Again I say why would anyone have heartburn because someone wants privacy. No one here can find out anything about me right now. No credit card could be opened in my name. If I posted my plate number....with some extra work identity theft could occur. To me it is such a small issue that I say block or don't block. It should not matter to anyone.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I don't think anyone was complaining about blocked or greyed out plate numbers. Th OP was asking "Why do it".

Some of us just feel more comfortable being less visible to the public. Another way to do it is to make sure the picture does not inlcude the plate or take the plate off if one is taking a picture of the area with the plate.

Since my cell phone has no idea where I am, I don't have to worry about geotagging. But, sometime in the future, the guvmint may require geotagging for all cell phones so that they can enforce laws about no texting while driving and no cell phone talking in school zones, etc. Or to assist in finding terrorists. Ain't technology wunnerful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I may be taking this way out of proportion but... I know with certain camera's such as the Iphone 4. If you take a picture your exact location is embedded in the picture. It's called geotagging. So if you were to take a picture of your ride with your 8,000 dollar stereo equipment and post it to the internet. Someone can still figure out where you live even though your license plate is blacked out. I know that's kind of ridiculous but if theres a will theres a way.
I don't think you are taking this way out of proportion, geotagging is a serious danger to one's privacy, and can do harm in various circumstances. It's possible to remove geotagging data with tools like the free BatchPurifier LITE.

·
Registered
429 Posts
is easy to answer this: security!

Imagine that you are new here, and told us about your brand new jeep patriot, and you installed a lot of mods: new and sporty muffler, new tires and rims, upgrade the radio, is the limited 4x4 FDII bla bla bla bla. AH!!! you took a picture with your license plates. Some "lunatics" as you said, maybe can live in your town, and they saw yesterday your pat and said "hey!! I hate that guy because his pat is very cool and I can´t afford a car like that with that equipment" or "I hate him. I hate Chrysler buyers." and they can do a lot to bad things to your car. LOL... this is the most dummy example.

Now, imagine that you show the pat and in other threads, you talk about a trip, or you showed your home. A lot of visitors here can see the info and pics and maybe they can think "hey, this guy has a great house, new pat and a lot of trips, maybe he has a lot of money, go for him" ok, this is other example, but in this case in a bad way.

so you can imagine a lot of things.... is like to show your bank account, credit card number... today exists a lot of bad people who want to do bad bad things... is better to take care about all the info and don´t have problems.

IMO ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
when someone posts an actual negative event from visible plates I'll be convinced.

To me it's urban myth like mobile phones setting fire to petrol bowsers ....never actually happened.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Y'know you guys have made some good points.

Typically I block out my own license plate when I post pics of my vehicles on the web. The less information about me on the web the better. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

One prime example of a need to block out license plates is questionable pics where the vehicle owner may be doing something illegal. In this part of Canada depending on the province you live in we aren't allowed to cross any water deeper than our axles. Some of the forums that I frequent even ban posting pics of water crossings to avoid issues. If your license plate is visible you can expect a knock on your door or a fine in the mail.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts