Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
our little 2 wheel drive patriot made it farther up an icy road with 3 car lengths farther than the rover ...--:pepper:

no one could make the grade but our,s made it the farthest ..

which actually blew my mind ..

·
Registered
264 Posts
Try closer to $50K difference my discovery was in $30K diff

I am surprised that the pat would out do either a range rover or discovery at anything where traction was limited. I'll put this one down to a poor driver rather than any advantage to the pat. Since I have both vehicles I can unequivocatably state that in very bad weather the pat stays home and I drive the Discovery.

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
I am surprised that the pat would out do either a range rover or discovery at anything where traction was limited. I'll put this one down to a poor driver rather than any advantage to the pat. Since I have both vehicles I can unequivocatably state that in very bad weather the pat stays home and I drive the Discovery.
It may not even be that complex. Tires will make that difference too.

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
On ice, not sure what 4x4 system would be better, but as others have said driver experience, tires, etc can make a difference on ice.

The week after Thanksgiving, on Wednesday, we had big rain over night Tuesday, and I was in town Wed. morning, and on the way back the rain turned to snow, and there was 2-4 inches on the roads as I hit the main road to my driveway. The road is level, and paved, and there was a guy in front of me sliding sideways in a Ford Ranger pick-up. I know pick-ups can be bad as they are very light in the back end, but still he shouldn't have had that much trouble. I had to go around him. Good thing he didn't need to get up my driveway.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Given the same set of tires, A Wrangler, or Discovery will do much better tha a Patriot on climbing hills, over logs and boulders, through real deep snow or mud, and other situations requiring brute force. However on light snow, ice, gravel, and loose surfaces in general, because of it's light weight and computer controlled four wheel traction control and ESP system the Patriot will do better.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Only thing pat has going for it is low weight

The Land Rovers have much more sophisticated 4x4 controls and are always in 4x4 just not always in low range. Only benefit you might find for the pat is light weight. Having driven both vehicles in snow and ice (Watertown, NY) there is no comparison the Rover wins all categories. My pat is a daily drive vehicle but no off roader or snowy hill climber.

·
Registered
429 Posts
LOL... I love the ´11 grand cherokee!!!

I know!!! I know!!! no one is talking about GC!!! but I like more vs Rover! ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
On ice, not sure what 4x4 system would be better, but as others have said driver experience, tires, etc can make a difference on ice.

The week after Thanksgiving, on Wednesday, we had big rain over night Tuesday, and I was in town Wed. morning, and on the way back the rain turned to snow, and there was 2-4 inches on the roads as I hit the main road to my driveway. The road is level, and paved, and there was a guy in front of me sliding sideways in a Ford Ranger pick-up. I know pick-ups can be bad as they are very light in the back end, but still he shouldn't have had that much trouble. I had to go around him. Good thing he didn't need to get up my driveway.
Hahaha! Been there many times. That is the WORST vehicle for the snow. Recently I was out, wasn't snowing where I was and as I got closer to home it was snowing. There was a dusting on the ground and my Ranger was perilously close to hitting a bus, running into a ditch, etc. I couldn't wait to get home. Needless to say, that made me speed up my decision making process and I should have a new Patriot this weekend!:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
our little patriot is fwd with the stock wrangler tires..---yep it went past him on the slick hill..---didnt stop to check his tire,s just smilled as i went passed as he had the bewildered look on his face..

as i said no one made that hill that morning ( as i know of) but i made it the farthest..

----go jeep--

we have had more snow this year than normal and i can honestly no probs. going anywhere---except the icy hill..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts