Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all! This is my first post in these forums as I felt turning to the community would help resolve the issue that I've encountered.

So, my 2013 Jeep Patriot Latitude has been great to me with zero issues, as I have always taken great care. But recently some very strange things have been happening. First, my Jeep started sputtering at speeds between 60 - 75, so I decided to turn around and head home. The dash chimed and all indicators turned on momentarily with a sudden loss of power but restored within a second and continued to drive but the engine light came on. Once I took the exit, it seems the vehicle went into limp mode and would not accelerate above 20mph.

Once home, I read the codes which told me there was something wrong with the wheel sensors and ABS. I decided to take the chance and not get on the freeway to get to the autoparts store but as I was leaving my driveway, all electrical in the Jeep went out! It remained off for about two minutes and then restored itself as well.

I used a multimeter to check all grounds and connections and found nothing visibly frayed/corroded.

I was thinking the throttle body could be causing the sputtering which is an easy fix and have wheel sensors in the mail on the way but wanted to reach out to the Jeep community and see if anybody has any insight or similar issues with a fix. Thank you for all responses ahead of time!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you checked thoroughly for any evidence of critters setting up house-keeping somewhere in the engine area or in the cabin? Since this suddenly started happening, it's likely related to a very recent event (Yeah, thanks Capt Obvious - lol) so thinking of everything done in the last 48 hours, even just a new tank of gas or maybe someone getting under the hood and touching/wiggling everything to make sure nothing is loose. And since many of our cars haven't been driven much in the past couple of months, maybe something just needs to be driven a bit to get all the lube flowing, the rust rubbed off, etc.

I had a similiar event with my '13 Patriot Sport with no warning. ABS and ESC lights came on and remained on. At same time, Cruise Control became unavailable. But I did not have the sudden power loss and "limp mode" like you did. Threw code c1015 - Rt Frt Speed Sensor not responding. As suggested by someone on here, it was the wheel speed sensor. Installed 5105572AB Sensor and everything was back to like-new.

Maybe all this rambling will spark a thought in your mind, but the sudden major problems without warning is suspicious.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I actually have been doing quite a bit of regular driving, so nothing sat long. Nor has there been any recent touching done under the hood or evidence of critters.
I did suspect the stuttering could be the wheel sensor not talking to the computer properly but can’t seem to comprehend the sudden loss of power, limp mode nor temporary loss of electronics! No fuses are blown and I’m just so confused.
Once I change the sensors (hopefully they’re here soon) I will have an update but that could be several days from now.
Open to more suggestions if anybody has them!

·
Administrator
7,198 Posts
Another thing you could check (if you haven't already) is the relay box, look for relays with corroded /broken terminals and corroded/broken wires:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New battery and checked to make sure it was tight and clean.
Could definitely be spark plugs causing the stuttering but doesn’t account for the loss of electrical.
I wish I still had the codes, but they were thrown away by my fiancé. Tried to pull new codes but now there are none, just the check engine light.
Checked relay box but saw no discrepancies.

·
Administrator
7,198 Posts
Without codes it's pretty much a crap shoot, but f the CEL is on, perhaps there's a code set that your reader can't read. Maybe try another reader.

Try checking the connections to the TIPM, especially from the battery, make sure all fuses are seated, make sure connectors on the PCM are clean and seated tightly, and make sure the keys have good batteries or try another key just in case the one you're using is dropping communication to the SKREEM (Sentry Key Remote Entry Module).

If all the connections are 100% then it could be a module (PCM, TIPM) getting hot and failing. Dealer diagnostic test might be able to find it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Working on getting a new reader to see if that can pull codes I’m not getting. Difficult at the moment as I can o my ride my Vulcan and it’s been very rainy.
Made sure all fuses are seated properly and will recheck connections with a different key tonight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here’s an update. Hope it helps other who have experienced the same symptoms.
Bought a new throttle body and two front wheel sensors. Installed the throttle body and front passenger wheel sensor but not driver side as I could not access the plug at the moment. Drove the car for twenty minutes and the check engine light turned itself off and has not come on sense! After a good scrub, she’s driving like new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts