Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These must be new to the market because while shopping around for struts previously everyone seemed to be preferring KYB and Monroe struts, but now I have seen options for BILSTEIN OE Replacement struts. I know I have a bad front passenger strut and was just about to pull the trigger on a full set of KYB's, but found the BILSTEIN options and ordered them. Has anyone had any experience with them? I searched the forums and found nothing on them. I used the 5100's on my old Jeep ZJ and loved them, I am hoping that these for the extra cost over the KYB's will be awesome too. Once I get them installed I will post back my opinion of them, of course my comparison will be with old OEM Struts.

Link to the struts:

Edited to remove my KGB reference lol.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Oh, wow! THANKS for the heads up. This must be a fairly new introduction because I was looking at struts a while back and did not notice them. I have no experience with them but Bilstein is almost always the first choice on truck and off road discussion groups. Here's the Bilstein page link: Search Results

Looking forward to your review. While struts alone are not supposed to change geometry, I have sometimes read that some of them cause the vehicle to sit a tiny bit taller because they somehow relieve the stress on the springs. Can you report on that? I have not researched installation techniques yet. If you run into any problems or tips on removal, spring compression, etc., please pass on your experience.

11 months and now your first post? Welcome. And........I think you might be talking about KYB struts, not "KGB" Russian intelligence struts, LOL.

EDIT: Looks like Rock Auto has them now also. Maybe save a few bucks, depending on shipping and tax.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I ordered mine through Summit simply because of the free shipping. I plan to keep stock springs so I will measure from the center caps to fender before and after to see if there is any lift.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay I finally installed them. I forgot to take before measurements to see if they lifted it any, but after measurements are: front 31.50" and rear 32.50" from ground to fender. Tires are 225/60R17. I did notice that the old front struts were half compressed without the spring, but the new ones were fully extended, the rears matched up the same. This was my first ever strut change so I ran into some hiccups, I found the front were much easier to change than the rear.

The ride seems so much better, it is firm and responsive. I have only driven around town a little and through a couple mud holes, but so far a previously existing knock is gone. I will update more after my alignment and some more miles on them, but I am glad Bilstein finally put these out there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How are you still liking the Bilstien? I’m planning to get a set of these on all four corners. I love bilstien on my other cars

1 - 5 of 5 Posts