Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from my first beach adventure, went to the soft sands of lancelin. Took a Subaru forester owning mate along and have to say, we were both massively impressed with the patriot's ability off road. We let tyres down to 18psi, ESP turned off and attacked some deeply rutted and soft areas. I went with the speed approach at first but after confidence kicked in, slowed it right down and tested it out all ways.....man, I can't believe how good it is. Like the forester, just floats over the sand, and really gets great traction in the soft stuff. We backed it up boggy dunes and drove outside of worn ruts/ tracks and not once even felt like bogging.
Definitely suggest driving in manual mode with the cvt just to keep revs up in the tricky sections.
I like this more than my old 100 series turbo diesel land cruiser on the beach - and that's a big call !
This is what I bought the pat for so loving the decision made right now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got back from my first beach adventure, went to the soft sands of lancelin. Took a Subaru forester owning mate along and have to say, we were both massively impressed with the patriot's ability off road. We let tyres down to 18psi, ESP turned off and attacked some deeply rutted and soft areas. I went with the speed approach at first but after confidence kicked in, slowed it right down and tested it out all ways.....man, I can't believe how good it is. Like the forester, just floats over the sand, and really gets great traction in the soft stuff. We backed it up boggy dunes and drove outside of worn ruts/ tracks and not once even felt like bogging.
Definitely suggest driving in manual mode with the cvt just to keep revs up in the tricky sections.
I like this more than my old 100 series turbo diesel land cruiser on the beach - and that's a big call !
This is what I bought the pat for so loving the decision made right now.
Even without my Patriot lifted I did some hairy 4wd around the Sunny Coast. Few spots had hilux's and rodeo's wheel spinning, then comes in my lil patriot and just bumps around on top of it all and gets through easy. Few stopped me to find out how it handled. Now I have it lifted and some coopers at3's and it just eats mud, sand and dirt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh I was happily surprised - looking to get some bigger rubber soon too but given I only drive on the sand I'm going to steer away from the aggressive tyre tread and go for an all rounder - I reckon the aggressive treads actually dig in to sand sometimes.
How do the Cooper at's go off road ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I drive mine on the beach most every weekend, and like you I am pleasantly surprised about how well it gets thru the soft sand. I see & hear many large 4x4 trucks having a hard time in the soft sand & my RIOT has no issues what so ever.

I have only had it about a month & so far I am VERY pleased with the purchase.

RobG

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Yeh I was happily surprised - looking to get some bigger rubber soon too but given I only drive on the sand I'm going to steer away from the aggressive tyre tread and go for an all rounder - I reckon the aggressive treads actually dig in to sand sometimes.
on sand you want as much traction as possible,
used correctly aggressive treads will spin less hence dig in less than less aggressive tires
with aggressive tires you may be able to idle out of soft sand or get out with a light touch,
less aggressive tires theres a narrow line between grip and slipping,
i would rather have an aggressive tread and a light touch on the peddle, than touring tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
They go really well 70% sand and road 30% mud.

Puttin a set of Baja claws (as example) will rip up soft sand and effectively dig down further. Like most 4wding it is about momentum. Those conti stock tyres had no problem because that RIOT with a lil momentum just hopped along the surface.

·
Registered
791 Posts
anybody run out on sand that has a 5spd manual and 4x4?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Even without my Patriot lifted I did some hairy 4wd around the Sunny Coast. Few spots had hilux's and rodeo's wheel spinning, then comes in my lil patriot and just bumps around on top of it all and gets through easy. Few stopped me to find out how it handled. Now I have it lifted and some coopers at3's and it just eats mud, sand and dirt.
What size Cooper AT3 did you end up putting on? Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts