Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a weird issue with my 08 manual trans Patriot. Reversing (especially in a tight radius) causing a banging noise and a jolt to the vehicle. It also does it when accelerating in the 40-50 MPH range. Doesn't do it so much from a standstill or when I'm on the highway. I've pulled the 4 X 4 fuse and the issue disappears.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,792 Posts
Where does it sound like the noise is coming from? If it's coming from the rear, it might be the RDU (rear diff), especially if the fluid hasn't been changed when due.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,135 Posts
Are your tires all the same size and equally worn? Uneven tires can cause stress on the 4wd system.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are your tires all the same size and equally worn? Uneven tires can cause stress on the 4wd system.
I'll doublecheck but pretty sure yes. As far as the wear they should be relatively the same. I don't have any bald tires with new ones for example. Plus I'd guess the issue would be present in 4WD/AWD and 2WD?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where does it sound like the noise is coming from? If it's coming from the rear, it might be the RDU (rear diff), especially if the fluid hasn't been changed when due.
Yes-it is coming from the back somewhere. This is definitely a possibility as I doubt the previous owner did this and I haven't either.
One question though, assuming this has never been changed (car has about 150k miles), would there be any danger or issues doing it at this point?

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,792 Posts
Yes-it is coming from the back somewhere. This is definitely a possibility as I doubt the previous owner did this and I haven't either.
One question though, assuming this has never been changed (car has about 150k miles), would there be any danger or issues doing it at this point?
No, no dangers in replacing it late. There's just gears in there, no clutch plates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got a weird issue with my 08 manual trans Patriot. Reversing (especially in a tight radius) causing a banging noise and a jolt to the vehicle. It also does it when accelerating in the 40-50 MPH range. Doesn't do it so much from a standstill or when I'm on the highway. I've pulled the 4 X 4 fuse and the issue disappears.

Any ideas?
I also have a similar problem with my 09 jeep patriot (128K miles on it). The thing is that it has a slight vibration when accelerating and while going slow it makes a "clac,clac,clac" noise from behind. (bit disapears and apears frequently).
I will try to take the fuse away to see if something changes.
By now i just changed the diff fluid and keeps doing that (the old oil was clean though).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts