Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We were out for a drive in the country today and I snapped a few pics. We spent 3 hours on gravel and single track blacktop roads. The leaves are just starting to turn. :D

The Simpsons....

An old abandoned farmhouse.

We passed a lot of rock formations today, but I only snapped this pic. A little glare from the windshield...

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I didn't come across any terrain that rough or an area where the background lent itself to a good pic. All the nice scenery was far from the road.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well we spent another weekend driving around backroads in and around our county. The leaves are starting to show some nice colors and quite a few turkeys and deer were about.

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
Gorgeous country.

My brother is visiting and he gifted me his old digital camera as he bought a new one.
So...I now have to remember to carry it (we are not picture takers) and show all of you all some of my beautiful country.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gorgeous country.

My brother is visiting and he gifted me his old digital camera as he bought a new one.
So...I now have to remember to carry it (we are not picture takers) and show all of you all some of my beautiful country.
Do it! I would love to see the pics. The pics above came from my phone. If you think a scene looks neat just shoot it and weed the good from the bad later. For most of us, you don't have to go far or waste a bunch of time traveling to find some nice scenery.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was out last weekend for about 3 hours and didn't come across one thing I felt worth sharing. This weekend I was out for only about an hour at some roads less that 15 minutes from the house and was rewarded with some great scenery and 4 wheelin! I came across some UTV's a couple of times that couldn't believe I had a Pat out on these trails. I did have to turn around once taking the advice of some of the folks on the UTV's. All in all a nice day fording some streams, large mud holes and rocky roads.

·
I don't reMember
1,133 Posts
Nice pics! Very beautiful country. I am only 2 hours east from Huntington, WV, so if you're not too from there, I may join you sometime.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks!

These roads are not far from Point Pleasant WV about 45 minutes up river of Huntington. It would be nice to get some folks together for a ride.

We're getting ready to hit some roads in a different part of the county today. Hopefully there will be some pics worth sharing.

·
I don't reMember
1,133 Posts
Thanks!

These roads are not far from Point Pleasant WV about 45 minutes up river of Huntington. It would be nice to get some folks together for a ride.
If you ever decide to do that, let me know. I don't like doing anything too rough. I call what I do "light offroading." lol I only have the FD1, and I don't have any tow hooks or anything like that installed.

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
And please, don't ever think you are boring us or whatever...keep on posting your pics.

And that goes for everyone...me included, I've got to get off my butt and snap some.

I love seeing other folks surroundings...

·
I don't reMember
1,133 Posts
And please, don't ever think you are boring us or whatever...keep on posting your pics.

And that goes for everyone...me included, I've got to get off my butt and snap some.

Me too, Metaxa!! The foliage is really changing around here, so now would be a great time to take some. I would love to see some pics of the old logging roads that you were talking about that you have to drive on sometimes.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Below are the details on how I make my routes for my day trips in and around my home counties. This is something anyone could do and it’s a cheap way of taking a trip and enjoying what’s “next door”. I included some of the things I do and don’t do on the trip as well.

Materials Needed:

GPS unit with the ability to enter and save map coordinates. I use a Garmin 50LM.

A set of USGS maps of your area. I have access to old ones 1975 revised.

I use the site www.lat-long.com to find the coordinates of sites of interest.

Using the USGS maps I find some sites of interest along a route I have chosen. The website above can usually give you coordinates of old churches, chapels and schools. You can also find old towns which are usually now just an intersection of roads in the middle of nowhere.

Next, I enter in the coordinates for each place of interest into the GPS and save it.

Then I use a small note pad to write down the “path” and make notes of what is to be expected between each point of interest. Maybe it is questionable if the road between two points of interest are passable or not etc. The better notes you write down before and during the trip the better. Then when the trip is over you have a record of where you have been and what if any problems or sites you have encountered.

Take the time to read all names of the roads you pass. In future trips, you will recognize how to jump from one road to another.

On my GPS, it will leave a trail of where you have been. Turn this feature on. This lets you see where you have been and how close you are to past trips.

I set the GPS to “Shortest Route” . Keep in mind when you do this it will route you down every goat path that comes up and even down peoples driveways. Use your judgment if the road look like someone’s driveway, don’t take it. Keep going and let the GPS route you down a better road. In our area, many roads that are driveways or private property were GPS mapped and are in your GPS unit as a public road. They are not. Respect peoples privacy and stay off roads that are questionable.

Stay on the roads and don’t travel on other peoples property. Don’t go thru any gate even if it is open. Logging roads and open fields are private land. They aren’t your play ground. I haven’t had a problem yet while on State and County roads. Sometimes on older unused roads you will encounter a gate. Turn around.

Most everyone is very friendly in the country around here. Then there are those that just want to be left alone. It is sad to say, but a few people flying up and down the roads and going places they shouldn’t in their UTV’s & four wheel drives have left bad impressions. Take your time and enjoy the scenery.

Lastly, you are in the backwoods and you never know who you might meet, be wary. If you have a conceal carry license, then I suggest you carry. Protect yourself , tread lightly and if you hear banjo’s playing run! ;)

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

Thanks, I plan to keep a record of my trips on this thread so everything is in one spot. If anyone has something to say or pics to add go for it, but I'm not doing this for a bunch of responses, so don't feel like you have to reply. I just like to take pics and share them. I hope to see more from others as well. I figure if the post views continues to go up people are enjoying what they see as much as I did when I snapped the pic and if it is boring you don't look. :D

·
I don't reMember
1,133 Posts
Lastly, you are in the backwoods and you never know who you might meet, be wary. If you have a conceal carry license, then I suggest you carry. Protect yourself , tread lightly and if you hear banjo’s playing run! ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist!

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
very nice photos, and country! Looks a lot like where I live in north central PA.

If it wasn't hunting season, I might come down and go along with you.

You might consider coming up to my area for a winter meet, if we do that again this year.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts