Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased a 2016 Patriot on Saturday. It’s equipped with the high altitude trim level and freedom drive 1.

I’m going to add a backup camera and would like to do it the oem route. I’ve done some research and I know I will have to get the computer flashed to say I “bought” it. I know I’ll have to get the camera and am curious if anyone has had any luck with drilling a hole into the existing trim piece? Or are they different shapes? From online picture they look almost identical so I don’t see why it’d be an issue. Let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The trim with the oem camera is different, I just did the swap on my 2016. Search EBay for part # 5SD80GW7AA, that trim has a mounting spot for the oem camera. The easiest thing would be to just buy the new trim with the camera included.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,268 Posts
I don't know how much it will cost to get a dealer to flash the computer to add the camera, but for ~$20 you can get a bluetooth or USB OBD2 dongle and $50 will get you Appcar Diag FCA software... then you can activate the camera yourself. And in the future you'd be able to use them to troubleshoot any issues that might pop up.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,652 Posts
Are you sure you wanna lose Jeep points like that? Makes it a bit less....Jeepy, ya know?

·
Registered
248 Posts
To be fair, backup cameras are federally mandated starting with model year 2016-2018

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,652 Posts
Any vehicle to be registered for American roads that was built on or after May 1st, 2018 "must when put in reverse display an image of what is behind the vehicle" or some bullcrap to that effect because of the absurd blind spots caused by their overly bureaucratic safety laws. Which in combination with the fact Fiat can't design a proper Jeep to save their precious profit margin if it were needed, is why there's no such thing as a new Jeep since the last Wrangler JK's and Wrongler JKU's rolled out of Toledo. Patriot was the last new Jeep model unless you count the WK2, and that's a little iffy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know how much it will cost to get a dealer to flash the computer to add the camera, but for ~$20 you can get a bluetooth or USB OBD2 dongle and $50 will get you Appcar Diag FCA software... then you can activate the camera yourself. And in the future you'd be able to use them to troubleshoot any issues that might pop up.
I plan on calling them before I go and do it; if its unreasonably high I saw a thread on here that said it can be done on your own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any vehicle to be registered for American roads that was built on or after May 1st, 2018 "must when put in reverse display an image of what is behind the vehicle" or some bullcrap to that effect because of the absurd blind spots caused by their overly bureaucratic safety laws. Which in combination with the fact Fiat can't design a proper Jeep to save their precious profit margin if it were needed, is why there's no such thing as a new Jeep since the last Wrangler JK's and Wrongler JKU's rolled out of Toledo. Patriot was the last new Jeep model unless you count the WK2, and that's a little iffy.
Part of me wishes they'd go back to some of there older designs. I grew up in a 96 xj SE (was my moms first car) and it stayed in the family from then on out. It was my DD up until this year. Still is one of my favorite jeeps ever built.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,652 Posts
Patriot was actually purposely designed to resemble the XJ, or so I heard once probably about 10 years ago. Mine is set up very basic, manual everything except the CVT and of course most of the 4x4 control.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts