Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm fairly convinced that I have either a bad rear electrical clutch or driveline module. I purchased a very abused Jeep Patriot 2008 for a few hundred bucks and I noticed that the rear differential had a leak. It had obviously been driven with almost no fluid and it looked very black and overheated when I fixed the leak. I filled it back up but the problem persists.

Any time I start the vehicle, I can feel that it doesn't drive well (feels like constant engine braking when I'm not stepping on the gas) at all and it only takes a few seconds for the ECU to disengage the rear electrical clutch and throw a AWD Overheating code (C145F AWD System Temporarily Disabled - Overtemperature). Afterwards the vehicle drives a lot better so I decided to pull the AWD Module fuse which leaves the clutch solenoid disengaged at all times and now the vehicle runs fine.

When I drive at highway speed I can heard a noise coming from the back however but I've driven long distances and it doesn't seem to get any worse. Could be the differential but it could also be a bad rear hub bearing assembly.

So I'm considering replacing the entire driveline module (Clutch + Differential) but I'm not sure if I need the module with or without off road crawl. (3501A058 vs 3501A115). I can shift manually on this car which I think may be the CVT with off road crawl support is that right?

Do you guys agree with my diagnostic or it could be something else I overlooked?
How do I check if my jeep comes equipped with the off road crawl capabilities?
Do you know where I can find a good used driveline module appart from ebay in Canada?

Model: Jeep Patriot North Edition 2008 2.4L 4Cyl CVT AWD

Thanks a lot for your help.

·
Administrator
6,988 Posts
Welcome!

The trail rated model (FDII) with off-road crawl does not have the ability to shift manually through the simulated gears (Auto Stick). The FDII shifter bezel will have "L" and "Off Road" as opposed to "+ -" for auto stick.

If you want, you can get a build sheet of your vehicles options by using the VIN:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome!

The trail rated model (FDII) with off-road crawl does not have the ability to shift manually through the simulated gears (Auto Stick). The FDII shifter bezel will have "L" and "Off Road" as opposed to "+ -" for auto stick.

If you want, you can get a build sheet of your vehicles options by using the VIN:
Thank you the build sheet thing is exactly what I need!
The build sheet list a "Continuously Variable Transaxle II" and has no mention of off road crawl on top of having manual shifting which leads me to conclude that I need the 3501A115 driveline module without the off road crawl.

Thank you very much for that!

So that's good for the replacement module but I'm still wondering about my diagnostic. What do you think?

·
Administrator
6,988 Posts
I think you're on the the right track; have you tried disconnecting the electrical connector at the rear electrical clutch and replacing the fuse to see if you get the same results?

Someone a while back (from Canada) had a similar problem but it turned out to be rusted and stuck brake calipers causing the drag and error lights.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you're on the the right track; have you tried disconnecting the electrical connector at the rear electrical clutch and replacing the fuse to see if you get the same results?

Someone a while back (from Canada) had a similar problem but it turned out to be rusted and stuck brake calipers causing the drag and error lights.
No I haven't tried that I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.