Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Including nothing at all? I'd love to have my old insurance back. To me they took it away from me and gave it to someone else. Now I have no insurance because its too expensive. I hope the hold out senators get their head out of their butt and do something instead of saying no to everything.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
I, too was hoping for an improvement--too bad these f***heads in DC can't reach and agreement just because of some invisable line on the floor aka: party lines.

When the ACA, aka Obama-care went into effect, I keep my retirement insurance without paying extra--but the coverage levels went WAY down, so if I were to upgrade it, that cost would be out of sight. I may pay a little co-pay every time I hit the medicos, but the catastrophic coverage is worth it.

Now, let's fix it to the way we were--those of us who faithfully served a 30 year "sentence" with one employer, should be rewarded with healthcare for life via the pension plan.

But, I digress--nothing ever stays the same...

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Well the republicans have the keys to a new health initiative and so far have done nothing with the devised plan which offered a worse solution with a ton of loopholes, missing content, dropped coverage, etc. For me personally - the only difference with my plan is that the cost went up slightly per paycheck deduction due to the fact that we decided as a company a very long time ago to provide a premium self funded health program for our employees - so this did not impact us at all. As far as family, friends, acquaintances .... since implementation I have not heard of any horror stories since aside from costs and deductibles rising.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol Croat, I guess in your sample size of a handful of people your outcome must represent everyone. You should consider yourself lucky if this is the case. If you actually look up statistics you will find skyrocketing premiums and lesser coverage on average. I think even their worst solution is better than obamacare.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Yeah, very true, now I read that insurance companies are dropping whole counties in WA state, mainly those less populated. And let me tell you that when I moved from CA to WA mid-year last year, changing plans was a nightmare--different companies, different doctors that weren't taking new medicare at that time, and I had to really shop around to find a primary care doc. And I have decent insurance with a VA backup. Don't know how the average person every makes it thru the maze...

·
8,128 Posts
Anything or nothing is better than the present plan.

In our situation the premiums just about doubled and we have much higher deductibles -- really only catastrophic care. Its been a problem staying with the same practice since some of the doctors (in the same office) accept our insurance and some don't. Wierd, but it seems to be the norm.

I do know one person who benefited but she has had dozens of malignant tumors and dozens more biopsies that were not malignant. She is not a normal person. Now in her 60s she is lucky to be alive. Then again, many of those cancers were taken care of before Obamacare took effect. I never pressed her for financial details, but she's the only person I've met who wasn't against Obamacare. Only.

If a few democrats would cross the aisle and work with the republicans they could be heroes. Hear that Senator Shaheen? You get rid of Obamacare and you've got my vote.:carryflag: You don't and I'll volunteer for your opponents, in the primary and/or the general election.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Honestly its no better than any poll that the "experts" use for statistics, news stories, studies, etc. :nerd: Funny how they cite polls that represent me as an age group, demographic, state population, etc and they only called 75 people with landlines (more than likely retirees)!

Lol Croat, I guess in your sample size of a handful of people your outcome must represent everyone. You should consider yourself lucky if this is the case. If you actually look up statistics you will find skyrocketing premiums and lesser coverage on average. I think even their worst solution is better than obamacare.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honestly its no better than any poll that the "experts" use for statistics, news stories, studies, etc. :nerd: Funny how they cite polls that represent me as an age group, demographic, state population, etc and they only called 75 people with landlines (more than likely retirees)!
The stats I've seen are actually from the Obamacare insurers themselves. I can't believe there are people in this country ok with paying 2-3x as much as any other developed country for healthcare.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
For me, even a few short years ago, just before obama care came into place, It cost me about $350/month for really heavy coverage, $10 copays, no cost generics, etc. Now I pay OVER $1000/month for just catastrophic care. Insurance doesn't even kick in until I pay $15000 out of pocket ABOVE my premiums. I have a wife and kids, so prices sky rocket, it has always been that way, but this is insane. "affordable" my butt.

we either need to go one of two ways. Have completely socialized medicine, like they do in the UK and other countries. (this is not a good idea, having lived in one of those countries, its a mess). OR get the god damn government out of my life, and out of my health care entirely. Anything else will be a mess.

All insurance should be catastrophic coverage only. And we all start paying for everything out of pocket. This would cause prices to go way way down, since people would be willing to shop more, and cut out the middle man of insurance for most transactions, and service would go up, since people would be able to shop their doctor more.

·
Registered
389 Posts
All insurance should be catastrophic coverage only. And we all start paying for everything out of pocket. This would cause prices to go way way down, since people would be willing to shop more, and cut out the middle man of insurance for most transactions, and service would go up, since people would be able to shop their doctor more.
This. This. This.

Most people don't realize that it's the everyday stuff that drives the cost of insurance up, not the cases of cancer treatment, etc. We should be paying cash for our yearly physicals, tests, etc. Insurance should only be for serious catastrophic events, I broke my femur, I had a heart attack, etc.

Auto insurance doesn't pay for oil changes, (but imagine how much it'd cost if it did.) Home owner's insurance doesn't pay for me to replace a worn out water hearter, health insurance should not being paying for preventive care. That's maintenance on our body.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
This. This. This.

Most people don't realize that it's the everyday stuff that drives the cost of insurance up, not the cases of cancer treatment, etc. We should be paying cash for our yearly physicals, tests, etc. Insurance should only be for serious catastrophic events, I broke my femur, I had a heart attack, etc.

Auto insurance doesn't pay for oil changes, (but imagine how much it'd cost if it did.) Home owner's insurance doesn't pay for me to replace a worn out water hearter, health insurance should not being paying for preventive care. That's maintenance on our body.
Why do cars cost so much? because people can take a loan out on one. Why does college cost so much? because people can take loans out on it. why does fast food cost so much, because people can now use credit cards to buy it (Growing up mcdonalds still only took cash payments). When you take away the pain of paying, and put a middle man in there, costs go way way up.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Why do cars cost so much? because people can take a loan out on one. Why does college cost so much? because people can take loans out on it. why does fast food cost so much, because people can now use credit cards to buy it (Growing up mcdonalds still only took cash payments). When you take away the pain of paying, and put a middle man in there, costs go way way up.
I would argue that insurance is even worse that credit, as you are even further removed.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
I would argue that insurance is even worse that credit, as you are even further removed.
I would agree 100%, and that's why we need to go back to paying cash for our medical care. and having a wife and 4 kids. my medical care expenses are pretty high. even while being pretty healthy, but if I could shop my prices like I shop for food, or anything else I pay cash for, I know I could bring those down significantly.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Well McCaine just threw a huge wrench in this debate.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm sorry but people are " stupid " !
You know why the price goes up " its a business you know like to make a profit " !
Your plan price will " never " go down until its nonprofit !
And for the people in power now they kept the existing plan to cover them selves !
*uck a republican idea !
And for paying cash wake the *uck up ! A 20 min operation to remove a pc of skin cancer $ 9000.00
At least Obama covered preexisting coverage !

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Yes it is a business however hospitals are non-profits .... so why are they profiting to an insane level?
That is also the problem, there are way to many simple and easy procedures that cost an insane amount of money!

Reactions: Brick Sprickly

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Most hospitals are for profit. I think the best system would be to have price restrictions such as something pegged to the next most expensive country costs for healthcare. Broken arm, well in Japan it costs 1500 dollars. I guess we probably should add 10% on to that to make doctors want to stay here. so 1650 for a broken arm. Sounds like a deal to me.

I am sure there would be tons of people have their jobs cut or laid off to make the deals work. I say sucks for them, go to a different country to rip people off. Oh since the US is the most expensive place to get healthcare there is no place they could charge more.

I say keep insurance companies privatized and just put cost restrictions on everything medical pegged to the #2 most expensive country for health care in the world.

One thing that really sucks is the price of drugs here in the US. WE ARE PAYING FOR THE WORLDS RESEARCH ON DRUGS! The rest of the world benefits from the drugs without the costs because they won't let the prices rise. Here in the US the drug companies make all their money back on research because they charge us 100x more.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Well I guess I should have said most :)
Only the smaller minority are for profits, and around my parts I cannot think of a hospital anywhere in this state even thats a for profit.

According to the AHA, about 18 percent of U.S. hospitals are private, for-profit hospitals, while 23 percent are owned by state and local governments. The rest are private, nonprofit facilities. This means they’re exempt from federal income tax—and often other taxes as well. It also means tax-exempt bonds may be issued on their behalf.

Fast Facts on US Hospitals

·
Registered
43 Posts
HILLPPL

Well I guess I should have said most :)
Only the smaller minority are for profits, and around my parts I cannot think of a hospital anywhere in this state even thats a for profit.
Lets take hospitals out of the equation, insurance company's are
profit based , that is the true problem along with big pharmaceutical
its all investor driven:x

1 - 20 of 35 Posts