Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A lot of Patriot owners lift, lower, replace tires and run aftermarket wheels/tires (usually heavier than stock configurations). Not much talk here on upgrading the OEM brakes to compensate for added weight/rolling resistance, etc.

Anybody run POWER STOP KC2840 Z23 Evolution Sport or equivalent/better?

What is your experience? Cost? Cheers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
From that link you posted, the components list is pretty much just OEM painted calipers with drilled & slotted rotors. Although, I will admit its attractive hardware the price isn't. For what you get IMO doesn't justify the cost. You make that kit for probably a quarter of the cost.

I have D&S rotors on just the rears of my 350z along with a dual caliper kit for my hydro e-brake, this car isn't used on the street just for drift. That being said since I put a lot of strain on the rear brakes I only opted into D&S in the back to help with break fade for heat dissipation. That's it.

If you're looking for more "stopping power" id probably look for a BBK (BIG BRAKE KIT) ,"BBK" will probably bring up more hits on Google though. Try looking for BBK made for the Dodge Caliber, I think a lot of the parts carry over across that platform, just make sure those bigger calipers will clear your wheels.

·
Premium Member
3,448 Posts
As far as braking performance, I don't believe you can improve on that over stock rotors, calipers, pads, etc.. Having said that, if you're in the habit of descending long down grades where you'll use your brakes more frequently, then perhaps you should consider some performance upgrades. In CA's Yosemite valley, there's a long down grade onto the east side of the Sierras, where brakes normally overheat, I experienced that in a mid-size GM car, but not with my Patriot several years later--same road, and same "hurry up and get there idiots" on the road! But, you can pull into the first lot a the bottom of the grade, and all you can smell is overheated brakes. Could be driver style and technique--most likely, performance issues--not so much!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have D&S rotors on just the rears of my 350z...

If you're looking for more "stopping power" id probably look for a BBK...
If I were a mechanic (or had the knowledge and tools), I'd also look to building components to lower costs, etc. Unfortunately that doesn't factor in here. There is a lack of products for the Patriot that I could find from any of the performance brake companies (likely because the Pat isn't a performance vehicle). Cheers

Like new brake pads? wider discs?
I was looking for complete kits made for the Patriot. Cheers

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as braking performance, I don't believe you can improve on that over stock rotors, calipers, pads, etc..
You may be correct Jack. Just thinking that Caliber SRT4s had upgraded braking components. Cheers

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anybody use or know someone that has used OEM Caliber SRT4 braking components/systems on their Patriot? Cheers

·
Premium Member
11,007 Posts
I bought zinc coated rotors, cross drilled and slotted with a black hub coating, bought new drums and painted those black as well as the calipers, one season in and still looking new with better braking thanks to the ceramic pads as well. Everything was under $200 installed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ceramic pads are also available for better braking and are used on many police cruiser applications.However,the down side is,they also make a lot of brake dust,meaning dirty wheels,especially,if ya have custom wheels.But you will have better stopping ability.

·
Premium Member
11,007 Posts
I'd disagree about extra dust - semi metallic and organics in my accounts were more dust.

Reactions: DeepCherry2015

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Sandstone, the Akebono website states that the stock Patriot OEM brake pads are ceramic. My 2014 came OEM with Akebono pads - edge code AKNS265H FF pads.

·
Premium Member
11,007 Posts
I always replace all brake compontants on my vehicles right when I get them, not a fan of any OEM application. Same was true with the Jeep, brand new OEM brakes all around which were immediatly replaced. I do think as you say that OEM was ceramic, no use on mine so cannot comment on dusting. Always used ceramic and never had any dusting issues on the rims of any cars I've owned.

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Patriot, 2.4L , 4x4
41 Posts
A lot of Patriot owners lift, lower, replace tires and run aftermarket wheels/tires (usually heavier than stock configurations). Not much talk here on upgrading the OEM brakes to compensate for added weight/rolling resistance, etc.

Anybody run POWER STOP KC2840 Z23 Evolution Sport w/Calipers Power Stop 1-Click Performance Brake Kit with Calipers | Power Stop or equivalent/better?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Semi metallic is mostly used for HD applications, but often create more brake dust. While they have better stopping power (bite), they can sometimes take a while to warm up and are sometimes noisier than ceramics. Ceramics are low/no dust, but don't offer the bite a warmed up semi metallic does.

I am looking to upgrade my fronts on a 2015 High Altitude with the Power Stop Z26 kit. Like what I read comparing to their Z23 Daily Driver Upgrade kit. Yeah, the Patriot is not a performance vehicle, but... I do have a bit of a heavy foot (used to driving an '06 Hemi Daytona for 15+ years), and I do a lot of tollway driving daily back and forth to work. This includes speeds sometimes over 70 mph, and sometimes fully on the brakes to avoid idiots, sudden lane changers, or sudden accidents ahead. Sometimes, there is a lot of stop and go traffic. The tiny brakes (compared to my Daytona's) can get pretty toasty pretty quick. THAT is where a good drilled and slotted rotor helps you dissipate heat quicker, so your next stop(s) are more dependable. That, and a carbon fiber ceramic pad they use. Plus, the rotors are zinc plated. Driven year round in salty northern climate, so corrosion protection helps. That, and the hardware is stainless, along with the shims, also offering better corrosion resistance as well as heat dissipation. Carbon fiber pads also offer lower noise and less dust. For a couple hundred $ for the kit, I feel having the confidence that my brakes won't fade after a couple high speed sudden stops, or fade after 45 minutes of stop and go driving, is CHEAP piece of mind! Same applies to those of you who tow, or do a lot of hilly/mountain driving. Cost difference for an OEM set of discs, pads and hardware, versus these is peanuts!

·
Registered
4,791 Posts

Anybody run POWER STOP KC2840 Z23 Evolution Sport w/Calipers Power Stop 1-Click Performance Brake Kit with Calipers | Power Stop or equivalent/better?

Only upgrade i can think of is for the rear when buying brakes theres a set for 11.8 inch rear
While most pats have 10.5
So can upgrade the rear to larger set

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,397 Posts
Don't know how much of an upgrade it really is, but I got a set of drilled & slotted rotors and some ceramic pads from Detroit Axle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts