Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-24 this morning, froze halfway on my commute!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
That's not a Patriot! And, No.... no problems with my windshield washer fluid. Of course in Virginia the lowest I saw on my morning commute was 15 degrees. So not really the same as -24. I would move if I saw that temperature reading.... I'm a terrible wimp when it comes to being cold.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea thats my Benz .... dunno if I could have trust the Jeep out in this kinda weather :D
Well that and the Jeep don't have butt warmers!

·
8,024 Posts
If my w/s/w freezes, I just add alcohol. Best to do it before it gets cold. Once its frozen you need a garage or a warm sunny day.

Adding the winter w/s/w fluid doesn't really work because it gets diluted by the stuff that's already in there. Either run it down to empty before adding the winter w/s/w fluid, or as I said, add alcohol.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,554 Posts
Haven't seen it happen in my Jeep yet, though I haven't used it in awhile. In my work truck though, it froze in Iowa for an hour or two, once temps got to the single digits. Once I got past Des Moines and saw double digit temps again it started flowing once more. Kept warm enough for the stuff to be liquid all the way out to Donner Pass and beyond.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its ok, it will be spring weather again here on Sunday/Monday so getting ready going from the Antarctic to Mississippi flooding!

·
Registered
726 Posts
-40 rated washer fluid so at -25C this morning it wasn't an issue. Patriot fired right up for my son this morning, although the block heater was on all night.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Doesn't freeze here in central Florida but I remember a morning in Ohio that damn near killed me. Washer fluid hadn't frozen but the windshield got splattered by dirty slush from a passing on-coming car. I hit the washer button before I thought and yep, the fluid came out ok before promptly freezing into a thick frost covering all over the cold glass which hadn't warmed up yet. I drove up over the curb and almost hit a power pole before I got stopped. Side window was frozen shut so couldn't stick my head out the side to see either. Then I had to get out to scrape the windshield (again) so I could see out. Almost a very expensive reminder to make sure the windshield glass was warmed up before I sprayed a light mist of cold water onto the cold glass followed by the wiper blade wiping a thin layer of frost all over. I had lived in the north for 55 years - should have known better.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yep, froze up when I tried to clean the windshield here in North Dakota. Pulled over, cranked the defroster to the highest setting and off I went. ? Just got back from the car wash, underbody spray got up on the windshield when entering and that froze up too ? no worries tho, once the wash bay garage door closed, the wash took care of the ice and salt ? 11 degrees today so it's a heatwave! Got off work a few mornings ago it was minus 32. Had the block heater on the Pat plugged in and one crank on the starter and I was good to go ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts