Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my '12 Patriot back from the dealer. The 5 speed manual transmission self destructed about 2 weeks ago. It seems the bearing on the counter shaft failed and sent ball bearings into the gears. It was replaced under the powertrain warrenty, thank goodness. Anyone hear of these transmissions going bad like this?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Was it whining or making any noise before it stb? How many miles? Mine whines in all gears and all speeds and dealer says normal.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Other than wear-&-tear items (clutch, slave & master cyls), my manual has been good.

Although now it has a hard time going into gear from a dead stop. Not sure if it's bad trans lube (i tried a new brand), or if its a bad bearing or something.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was it whining or making any noise before it stb? How many miles? Mine whines in all gears and all speeds and dealer says normal.
I first noticed it on the 28th day of December and made a note in my fuel log. That was at 39700 miles. I took it in in late January early Feburary for the fuel transfer tube, air bag recall and had them look at the transmission. It finally started howling like a banshee and making popping and snapping noises on the highway the second week of April, on a Sunday. When I took it in in Feburary the mechanic made the comment that it "sounded like normal gear noise to him". I had them make note of that on the recall repair order so that I had documentation. The service writer emailed me some pictures of the transmission that they sent to Chrysler for the powertrain warrenty. If I knew how I would post them.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I first noticed it on the 28th day of December and made a note in my fuel log. That was at 39700 miles. I took it in in late January early Feburary for the fuel transfer tube, air bag recall and had them look at the transmission. It finally started howling like a banshee and making popping and snapping noises on the highway the second week of April, on a Sunday. When I took it in in Feburary the mechanic made the comment that it "sounded like normal gear noise to him". I had them make note of that on the recall repair order so that I had documentation. The service writer emailed me some pictures of the transmission that they sent to Chrysler for the powertrain warrenty. If I knew how I would post them.
Aside from the stuff you mentioned, did they do any work on the fluids in Jan/Feb? Like, any chance they pulled the transmission fluid check plug? I'm wondering if they maybe forgot to put that back in during a regular fluid inspection, which would've let the fluid level drain down over time. Obviously, there'd be no reason for them to have done a trans fluid change at that point, but I'd imagine a routine check wouldn't be abnormal.

I will attest, the plastic debris shield under the engine will hold a LOT of fluid. When my clutch hydraulics let go, I stopped on the side of the freeway. I immediately checked under the Patriot, saw no leaks whatsoever. But when they were hauling it up onto the flatbed, a bunch of fluid came falling out of the debris shield. It holds a lot of fluid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is an 08 Patriot 5 speed manual 4x4 and it's hard to shift into 1st, 2nd and reverse. Also whines when I go over 60 kilometers in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears. I`m thinking I`m going to need a new transmission soon. :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aside from the stuff you mentioned, did they do any work on the fluids in Jan/Feb? Like, any chance they pulled the transmission fluid check plug? I'm wondering if they maybe forgot to put that back in during a regular fluid inspection, which would've let the fluid level drain down over time. Obviously, there'd be no reason for them to have done a trans fluid change at that point, but I'd imagine a routine check wouldn't be abnormal.

I will attest, the plastic debris shield under the engine will hold a LOT of fluid. When my clutch hydraulics let go, I stopped on the side of the freeway. I immediately checked under the Patriot, saw no leaks whatsoever. But when they were hauling it up onto the flatbed, a bunch of fluid came falling out of the debris shield. It holds a lot of fluid.
Yes they checked the transmission fluid level at that time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same happen at 20,000 miles, same problem. The Countershaft bearing grenaded and took out all gears (each would shift fine, but would grind/crunch) and turned them from helical-cut to straight cut gears (really loud I mean, it obviously didn't PHYSICALLY turn them into straight cut gears). Mine replaced under warranty and I face a new problem that I have to address with bad 1-2 synchro and fluid seeping out the transmission bolt holes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2008 Patriot Did The Same Thing!!!

I Got My Jeep 2 Months Ago And It Did The Same Thing The Other Day!!! It Started Making Almost A Tire Type Noise When The Clutch Was Depressed About 2 Weeks After I Got It (but when the clutch was pushed down it would go away?) Well Then It Started Doing An Occasional Chirp While Driving Up Till The Other Day When It Made A Grinding Noise Twice That Led To A Ball Bearing Wedging Between The Large Gear In The Tranny And The Case Breaking The Case At One Of The Bottom Bolts!!! But That Is Not The Best Part... Being The 2nd Owner Of The Jeep There Is NOT SQUAT That Chrysler Will Do!!! Yay Me... grrrrr

·
Registered
8 Posts
My first Compass was a 2008 Limited 4X4. Had it 193,000 miles and no problems with 5 speed manual. My current Compass is a 2016 Compass Sport 4X4. Had the input shaft bearing fail at about 75,000 miles, which in turn sent pieces into the T355, making a lot of noise. Still drove but clearly not right. Had to replace transmission. Had purchased an extended warranty or this would have been ugly. By the way I drive conservatively. Anybody else have this problem on a late model Compass?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My first Compass was a 2008 Limited 4X4. Had it 193,000 miles and no problems with 5 speed manual. My current Compass is a 2016 Compass Sport 4X4. Had the input shaft bearing fail at about 75,000 miles, which in turn sent pieces into the T355, making a lot of noise. Still drove but clearly not right. Had to replace transmission. Had purchased an extended warranty or this would have been ugly. By the way I drive conservatively. Anybody else have this problem on a late model Compass?
PS Hope my question is in bounds. Compass and Patriot share driveline. I recall an automotive writer referring to these fraternal twins as the Compatriot : )

·
Super Moderator
4,075 Posts
PS Hope my question is in bounds. Compass and Patriot share driveline. I recall an automotive writer referring to these fraternal twins as the Compatriot : )
No worries Chuck :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2010 Jeep Compass 4x4 did the same thing back in June, gears, synchronizers, and input shaft are shot. Thing is, I'm eyeballing a FWD only dodge caliber to buy as a donor vehicle. Its still a magna t355 manual. The transfer case should still mount to it right?

·
Super Moderator
4,075 Posts
My 2010 Jeep Compass 4x4 did the same thing back in June, gears, synchronizers, and input shaft are shot. Thing is, I'm eyeballing a FWD only dodge caliber to buy as a donor vehicle. Its still a magna t355 manual. The transfer case should still mount to it right?
It will work, but you'll have to swap some parts around:

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2011 FD II was totaled last week. I had tow package (2000lb) to haul 700lb+ Apache pop up camper. Hard to find another FDII. There's a nice 5 speed available but specs tag it at 1000/1000. Is there no tow package or oil cooler system? Will the 5 handle towing or will it fry? Thanks, Popeye

·
Super Moderator
4,075 Posts
My 2011 FD II was totaled last week. I had tow package (2000lb) to haul 700lb+ Apache pop up camper. Hard to find another FDII. There's a nice 5 speed available but specs tag it at 1000/1000. Is there no tow package or oil cooler system? Will the 5 handle towing or will it fry? Thanks, Popeye
Man, sorry to hear that :(.

You can put an oil cooler on the 5 and tow with it:

·
Registered
2 Posts
It will work, but you'll have to swap some parts around:
Would I need any uncommon tools for the case-half swap?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts