Jeep Patriot Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone any idea of where I can hire a Patriot in Washington? I'm flying in to Dulles in early April from the United Kingdom - any help appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I keep a small adjustable wrench in the glove compartment and just remove the antenna before running the car through a car wash, but I don't go through very much. If I have it washed four times a year that's a lot. The rest of the time. I do it myself.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Has anyone attempted to replace the mast antenna (on the RH front fender) with a power retractable unit? Is there sufficient space in that area? I believe a past thread showed what was behind the fender. Does the base (or upgraded) radios even have the antenna power output?

Another antenna question: This has to do with the NAV antenna--understand that it lives on the top of the dash just behind the glass. Has anyone with factory nav had any problem losing the satellites, when they were behind you? My sandbag mounted Garmin has problems in that area, as the antenna is shielded by the roof when it is on the dash. Adding an external antenna just over the windshild on the roof seems to have fixed that and I use this remote antenna when we travel and use a rental car.

Inquiring minds need to know!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've come to hate that antenna. It is so close to the front windshield, that it is always getting in my way when I scrape the windows to clear the ice off. More often than not I accidentally bend it down, only to have it come flying back and whipping me :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've replaced my front fender one with a short black wound wire (wire wrapping up on the outside just like the original one) one from an auto parts store a long time ago (cost less than $10.00). And it seems to work as well as the original.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I always do it myself. After washing and drying the car I usually wax the car with some Meguiars NXT Tech Wax. Or if I'm feeling really adventurous I use some AutoGlym Super Resin Polish, and AutoGlym Extra Gloss Protection to finish off.

You don't have to do it every wash but it's entirely up to you how frequently you decide to do it.
OK I'll try it.
Thanks for your comment.

·
Registered
218 Posts
No we don't have that as an option here, the antenna is not on the right wing/fender but on the roof.

If you look towards the rear you will just about see it.
The export Pats have a totally different radio system. different radios, different antennas (roof mounted versus domestic fender mount) different antenna wiring, and an optional traffic module that is not available in the US.

The export models are a pain in the rear end in the assembly plant when it comes to the final line antenna check... ugh..

·
Registered
48 Posts
keep mine on no problem, yeah it bends but that is what it is supposed to do. only thing is that it seems to get loosened by the brushes and I have to tighten it.

( I am replying to the first post, sorry..........)

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've replaced my front fender one with a short black wound wire (wire wrapping up on the outside just like the original one) one from an auto parts store a long time ago (cost less than $10.00). And it seems to work as well as the original.
I love quoting myself - but the fact is that I broke one of those antennas trying to negotiate a tight garage where I leaned on it.
So I can't guarantee a car wash proof situation.

But they have a wide base and you can screw them on and off with your fingers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When unscrewing the antenna- dont force it!- I may have had a defective antenna, but the first time I unscrewed it to take it to the car wash the bolt snapped off in the housing. Took several hours of work to replace the housing, which is not easy to get to.

But, the antennas are surprisingly tough- I couldnt cut or bend the broken one to fit in the garbage, but I still take it off when going through the wash so it dosent hit the paint.

·
Patriot addict
827 Posts
The export Pats have a totally different radio system. different radios, different antennas (roof mounted versus domestic fender mount) different antenna wiring, and an optional traffic module that is not available in the US.
In which way do export Pats get a different radio? Mine's a Boston Acoustics and I thought it would be the same model in the U.S. market. By the way, sound quality in the BA radio is excellent but the display and user interface could be better and looks already outdated.

I always handwash my Patriot, too. It's tiring but I'm determined to baby my car. My previous ride got a lot of scratches from automatic tunnel-style car washes, and I still haven't seen any of the touch-free type.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I remove mine each time I go thru an automated wash system. I always use the brush type as I'm off road quite a bit, especially this time of year, and the touch less doesn't get the job done. I lost an antenna to the brushes once on my 02 Liberty and have removed ever since.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts