Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to take my car through a quick automated car wash (why did I buy a black Patriot?!) and was wondering if it would be okay with the antenna out like that? I tried to look it up in the manual, but did not see anything pertaining to this subject. Thanks for help.

-Panda

·
Registered
957 Posts
I do take it through when necessary and I still cringe, but it comes out unscathed. It tends to get wrapped around the brushes and then springs back. If you have the touchfree version - that might be better.

Khaki matches the dirt out here, so we don't have as much an issue :)

·
Registered
731 Posts
I want to take my car through a quick automated car wash (why did I buy a black Patriot?!) and was wondering if it would be okay with the antenna out like that? I tried to look it up in the manual, but did not see anything pertaining to this subject. Thanks for help.

-Panda
I have a white one. With the dirt you could almost call it black.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Though I haven't taken mine through yet in my previous Jeeps I took it off and put it back on after getting out.

Rich

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
washing your Jeep by hand is rewarding, because you can see where you've been and how far you've travelled.

... there's that sand from the beach a month ago...

.... there's the bark from that log I drove over....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have taken mine through the touchless carwash several times. I have not had any problems with the antenna. However, that is the ONLY time that mine leaks a tiny little bit through the front of the sunroof.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I was going to take mine though a touchless carwash, but the dryer (the robotic arm type) hovers about 2" away from the vehicle, and it would bend the antenna all the way back....so I decided not to do it. I ended up hand washing in my driveway with a -28c windchill....brrrrr... I had a nice skating rink after i finished.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I just unscrew my antenna.

I go to a carwash where they detail the inside for you as well. So I pull the antenna off before handing the car over. By the time I get it back, the person that has taken care of the inside of the vehicle has put the antenna back in place for me.

I did forget to unscrew it once and cringed the entire time. No damage, though.

But I try not to forget. :)

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
As I don't have the pleasure of looking at this on my own vehicle, where is the antenna located? Is it a stationery mast, or does it retract with the radio's power on? During my test drive, I didn't have the radio on, and don't recall seeing an antenna.

Someone enlighten me, please! Thnx!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Its an old fashioned silver looking one (at least on the 07s) on right front fender. Its the screw in kind that is one piece and springs back.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I decided to hand wash my Patriot because the carwash brushes did a lot of scratches on the paint. Has anyone with steel blue noticed the same?

·
Registered
417 Posts
All car washes do this to all cars. In order to clean a car and minimise the damage done to the clear coat you really should be using a Lambswool wash mitt and two buckets of car wash. Then hose it off once you have washed it and use a couple of microfiber cloths to dry it.

After that you can either clay the vehicle or, wax/polish/seal the paint. Ultimately you will get swirls in the paintwork but this method will reduce it. You could always go one step further and PC the car to reduce the swirls in the paint.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Thanks for your comment Ash...
BTW, how often one must apply wax/polish to the pat? Should I do it by myself or better take it to a shop?
Thanks.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I take the antenna off when I take my car through the automatic wash. I just finger tighten it. Hasn't come off yet.

Mine seems to be holding up fine in the automatic wash. I do use the touchfree one when I can, but not always.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks for your comment Ash...
BTW, how often one must apply wax/polish to the pat? Should I do it by myself or better take it to a shop?
Thanks.
I always do it myself. After washing and drying the car I usually wax the car with some Meguiars NXT Tech Wax. Or if I'm feeling really adventurous I use some AutoGlym Super Resin Polish, and AutoGlym Extra Gloss Protection to finish off.

You don't have to do it every wash but it's entirely up to you how frequently you decide to do it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts