Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Patriot 2WD, 142k miles. At low speed, 10-20mph, there is a low repetitive thumping or whoop-whoop-whoop noise from the font end. Gas/Break makes sounds stop. Gradual veer to the right increase sounds. At high speeds the sounds is not there.

Went to Midas, they said the majority of the noise is from the transmission (which they dont fix so clearly not trying to rip me off), they also said passenger CV is failing as grease is leaking out ($400 repair) but since I may have bigger issues and the CV boot isn't torn then they dont recommend fixing it yet. They also said rear passenger hub is fail and do recommend replacing that ($300).

Thoughts? To me it is not the transmission but the dipstick has rusted off and probably has debris entering it before I finally capped it.

See video link below and turn volume UP!

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
Welcome Mark,

The thumping / wooping noise could easily be from a bad inner CV joint that has excessive wear/ play, even if the boot isn't ripped.

See the video below on how to check for excessive up and down play.

If you think the CVT fluid has been contaminated, I'd get it changed. It may also be low.

Common dealer price for fluid and both filters is $350-$400-ish, or you can do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined, it isn't hard to do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for this! Midas did show me all the grease leaking from the inner CV despite no boot tear. I will check the up/down play as well myself.

Went to another shop today. They solved the issue for $90. They said it was rear drum corrosion and that all my braking was coming from the front so they tightened the shoes.
I changed my own shoes/drums about 6 months ago- I thought I set the tension correctly but I guess not. Dont the rear brakes have self-adjusters that tighten the shoes as they wear out?

Good news is no more noise and they didn't mention anything about my transmission (they listened w a stethoscope), CV or hubs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts