Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
2011 Patriot Sport 4x4
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Recently purchased 2011 Patriot for my 37 year old daughter who is Finally learning to drive. As I have found forums very helpful (also belong Camaro, Colorado & Harley), I figured this was the best place to get all the low-down. The Patriot is in great shape although 168K miles but for $2500 it was a steal these days. The interior was quite dirty, prvious owner used for their 3 dogs, smallest of which is 90 lbs. Had car detailed which got rid of 95% of the accumulated dog hair 馃槵.
Been doing some tweaking and had to replace crank sensor, cheap but what a PITA to change!! Getting use to the CVT, new experience. All 4 wheels are in rough shape but got a set of skins, need to clean up wheels before I install.
Looking forward to good intel when I need it.

Administrator
Hi, welcome!

On the CVT, you may want to look into getting the fluid and both filters changed if this hasn't been done in the last 50k miles. The service manual recommends service at 120k but this is far too long.

I usually recommend replacing the factory fill at 30k and then 30-50k thereafter depending on driving conditions. Temperature extremes, towing, and mountain driving means shorter time between changes. A simple drain and fill is all that's needed, you don't need to have a machine flush done. Lots of people here have done this, and not all are professional mechanics.

This thread will give you an idea of what's involved.

The price range for a dealer doing the service is probably around $375-$450, independent shops might be less but make sure they're familiar with CVT's.

Also, if you're in the Northeast be sure to keep a look out for rust on the sub-frame / cross-members.
Some have had no trouble with it but others have and if it goes too far it can have serious consequences.

Some use professional rust prevention services, I usually spray the sub-frames and suspension parts with Fluid Film once per year.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Jaw Wood

Land vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle brake

Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
Just a ditto to @Sandstone. Those are the weak points, so address them early on. After that she should have a lot of happy miles ahead of her.

Registered
2011 Patriot Sport 4x4
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The previous owner actually provided a CarFax which showed regular maintenance done at a local dealer however it doesn't list exactly what was done, just "scheduled maintenance". Just to be safe, I plan to have engine oil changed soon and I'll include CVT service. My primary shop is excellent but if they aren't sure about CVT I also have a "Jeep" shop that I've used in the past to go to.
As for the subframe, looks very clean, surprising for northeast. The entire bottom shows no or very little rust. In fact, the previous owner also said a reca'l was performed on some suspension issues not long ago and I can see much of the rear arms/crossmembers look almost new. I have noticed some rattles going over bumps which may be struts, again, owner informed me that they had not been serviced in recent history.
Thanks for the welcome and good to know stuff!

Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
There wasn't a recall, but Jeep extended the warranty to 10 years on the frame. Maybe the rust repair has already been done?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts