Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I began tearing apart the Jeep's interior for my amp(s) install. I have already run my RCAs from the dash to the rear along the passenger side of the Jeep under all the molding.

Now I am stuck.

I cannot find a spot to fish the power wire through the firewall. Apparently I need to keep the power wires as distant from the RCA cables to prohibit interference. So I need to wire through the driver's side-plus it's closer to the battery.

At this point I am considering 2 options.

Drill baby drill! In which case I would like some help on a safe place to drill through on the driver's side.

The other is to drill a hole in the bottom of the spare tire compartment and wire up to the front.

Option 2 I believe will be least time consuming and I won't have to rip apart the moldings on the driver's side to conceal the wire.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2011 too. The guy at the jeep dealership showed me where the controller was routing wiring over the driver side wheel well...look down into that area under the hood and you will see it...unfortunately i cant find where it actually comes through from the inside. Im actually stuck here myself.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Search the database for aux light installs. I read somewhere about guys having the same issue running wiring to the switches for their lights. I think there is a grommet you can use on the drivers side and run the wire over the fenderwell.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Hmmm... try the MOPAR parts area for .pdf instructions on the aux light install... I seem to remember the fender liner stuff being on the directions...

·
Geek
993 Posts
There is a big grommet in the drivers kick panel

This is where I pulled the power wires through for my Ham radio, and where I would have pulled wires through for an amplifier had I not requested the BA sound system.

check out this thread: http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71631. There might be some stuff there that helps you.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked and could not find the spot on the driver's side. There is a spot on the passenger side, but like I said I have to run the power wire opposite of the sound wires...so I drilled a hold in the spare tire well. I have run the power wire along the pinch weld but I have not zip-tied it down yet....The rain around here just is not letting up:( I used a grinder on the brackets that hold the rear seats down to create a good ground.

Thanks for the help guys.

I am currently building a whole display type case that the amps will sit in flat above the spare tire. It appears I will not lose any space in the cargo area, so I am happy for that.

Pictures to follow in another thread soon!

·
Registered
4 Posts
on the passenger side behind the glove compartment. there is a grommet for your windshield wiper fluid tube. push the grommet into the interior of your car. the cable is easier to run from the outside in. i tried for hours to get access from the driver side. good luck without drilling a hole. hope this helps.

·
Geek
993 Posts
on the passenger side behind the glove compartment. there is a grommet for your windshield wiper fluid tube. push the grommet into the interior of your car. the cable is easier to run from the outside in. i tried for hours to get access from the driver side. good luck without drilling a hole. hope this helps.
if you remove the drivers-side inner feder well, you can access the grommet for the primary wiring harness. Thats what you can see in the picture i posted earlier in the thread,

·
Registered
4 Posts
all me and my nephew did was lift up the hood, he stayed in the car and removed the glove box-which he said was pretty easy. i stayed on the outside of the car and literally pushed in the grommet with my hand (you can find it by following the tubing from the windshield wiper fluid holder under the hood-passenger side). it helped alot to have my nephew helping me from the inside. he was able to see me push in the grommet, see the cable coming in and then pull it in towards him as i guided it through the hole. Less than 10-15 minutes max. The grommet hole was roomy enough to run my 2 gauge power cable in, and i still had room to spare. We then tucked the cable under the paneling on the passenger side all the way to the trunk. ran the rca's thru the driver side in hopes of avoiding interference, which worked out better than my first run. my husband had ran my power cable thru my driver side door and then under and thru the wheel wall, i mean u couldnt see the cable when the door closed but i thought it looked sloppy the second the door got open, i initially tried ignoring the eye soar which is why i didnt even notice that the line was getting crushed everytime i closed the door. i couldn't get the line connected without blowing out a fuse, I didn't have a clue what was going on until my nephew noticed the spark coming from the interior of my car. geez... well i learned my lesson, if you want something done you gotta do it yourself. appreciate the hubby's help but he doesn't love my jeep how i love my jeep. and shortcuts will only lead to heartbreak.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just ran a power wire through the firewall using the grommet on the passenger side behind the glove box and while it was easy to locate it was a pain to reach. I am a big guy and I had to use my left arm to reach (of course I am right handed which made it very interesting LOL)
But anyway I got the wire through the grommet and found this thread very helpful.
THANKS!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just ran a power wire through the firewall using the grommet on the passenger side behind the glove box and while it was easy to locate it was a pain to reach. I am a big guy and I had to use my left arm to reach (of course I am right handed which made it very interesting LOL)
But anyway I got the wire through the grommet and found this thread very helpful.
THANKS!
I don't think the 2007 has this grommet on the firewall :(

Could you post a photo of where it is, I might be confused... :confused:

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's a photo up top of it.

FYI I ended up running mine outside and underneath the vehicle and it has been fine since. Gotta check to make sure it isn't rubbing on something sharp but I can do that this week along with my oil change!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was wondering about the grommet on the passenger side. Other folks say they ran their wire through there but I can't seem to find a grommet on my 07 within the engine bay.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh. Yeah there is a grommet on my passenger side. I ran my fog light wires through there. I will take a pic tomorrow when its light out. Not sure, if there is one on your '07, but I can say its surprisingly difficult to see, and then you see it and say :doh:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think the 2007 has this grommet on the firewall :(

Could you post a photo of where it is, I might be confused... :confused:
Indeed it does. I thought that with my jeep, but then I realized there was a whole engine blocking my view. Try literally laying upside down in your seat (head under the wheel) with a flashlight and look around. Or put your jeep on the lift (or roll under it) and check it out. There has to be one or a way to go. You can even follow the wire harness. I had a '07, so I know as fact there is. I have the '11 now, so that one's a challenge!

·
Registered
1 Posts
James,

When you ran your power cable under your Patriot and into spare tire well, where did you drill the hole? Did you drill from bottom up or from the well down? I am concerned about hitting anything if I drill from top down.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
22 Posts
I found a gromit into the passenger a pillar. It's easily accessible and leads to a hole out the other side of the pillar just the right size to slip 4 gauge through. After that it's just a case of running it under the trim.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts