Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did some research here first and it seems like everyone recommends the Mopar one. I just had to be different.

I picked up a WEB electrostatic carbon furnace filter @ Target for $8, cut it to ~8.5x8" and slid it into slot behidn the glove box. It has a MERV of 9, which is decent. I use 11 in my house. and almost bought the same one for the Compass. I didn't know how cutting a pleated filter would work, though.

We will see how long it lasts. Each filter should get me 6 applications in the Compass. I have to drive on half a mile of dirt road to get to my subdivision that can get quite dusty in when the county does not oil it. I do not expect it to last as long as the Mopar one due to pleats/no pleates.

Anyone know the MERV rating of the Mopar filter?

Oh, for those wondering. The cabin filter comes with the FDII package and maybe another package too. Most MK's do not have the filter, but the air ducts are the same and you can just add the filter. The instructions/pictures from Nearly Nomal Jimmy are great.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I added the cabin air filter on my FDI about 2 months ago. I will check it soon and see if its getting dirty.

I may try what you did with the home made filter. They are about $14-18 from the Jeep Dealer.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Bought a Mopar one today, I was tiered of parking under trees and having small leaves and such blown in my face when I cranked up and turned on the air. It comes in monday, keep us informed about your cheep fix, may be a better choice in the long run.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Yeah, I bought mine from the dealer... Here in Canada, $24.... Massive markup on our parts.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The Limiteds have the filter as well. I pulled mine and looked at it. It would be nice if they made a charcoal impregnated one but the existing one seems to be a simple paper filter and it does not filter out smells particularly well...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Installed the Factory cabin air filter on Monday after I picked it up from the Dealer, so far so good. Not only does it filter the air (duh) but it also seems to cut down on the fan noise coming in through the vents.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The county still puts oil on your roads?!?!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My county puts oil down on the dirt roads by my house. They only do it after they grade, but don't oil every time they grade. Maybe it isn't oil, but it isn't water as it does not evaporate for several days, enough time to get the road hardpacked.

·
Registered
472 Posts
i cant even get my glovebox to drop down, its like permanenty attached so it cannot be dropped. is that how it is for everyone or is there like a set of directions somewhere or can someone tell me how to open it

thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
The Limiteds have the filter as well. I pulled mine and looked at it. It would be nice if they made a charcoal impregnated one but the existing one seems to be a simple paper filter and it does not filter out smells particularly well...
Interesting...I believe the brochure states that this filter is to reduce odors from chemicals and farm operations and only works when in Non-recirc mode. No charcoal, eh, guess I'll have to find and inspect mine.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
My county puts oil down on the dirt roads by my house. They only do it after they grade, but don't oil every time they grade. Maybe it isn't oil, but it isn't water as it does not evaporate for several days, enough time to get the road hardpacked.
More than likely just salt brine, they do the same thing on the road I live on.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a 2007 LIMITED and I don't have the filter. My dealer said it didn't come with it. Still trying to figure out how to drop my glove box to get to it. I have the directions, but the darn thing does not want to budge.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I can get both of the rubber stopper things on the inside, but it just locks in place...I mean, how hard is too hard to yank the thing down???

·
Level 3 Supporter
758 Posts
Should be no pulling involved, just work one side then the other inward without pulling down to see how much play there is. Once you get more confidence in the range of motion then you can just pull it down.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
I can get both of the rubber stopper things on the inside, but it just locks in place...I mean, how hard is too hard to yank the thing down???
Yea, it seems it's going to break, but it doesn't. I've had to pull mine down a few times to get leaves out of the fan. Once you have both stoppers in side just use a steady yet firm tug and it'll slide out. Going back in is just as fun. Personally I think the could have done with just one of those stoppers.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I saw once on here (link was www.mann-hummel.??????) a direction on installing the cabin air filter from the outside and going under the passenger windshield wiper. Anybody know if this is easier? Just spent 45 minutes with the glove box...The [email protected] thing will NOT DROP!

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
I saw once on here (link was www.mann-hummel.??????) a direction on installing the cabin air filter from the outside and going under the passenger windshield wiper. Anybody know if this is easier? Just spent 45 minutes with the glove box...The [email protected] thing will NOT DROP!
I don't believe that info is correct for the Patriot and Compass.
As low as the fan housing is inside the vehicle I don't see how you would be able to get to it from the outside.

I have done this about 6 times now.

Put your palms on the sides at the back (as close to the rubber stoppers as possible) and squeeze together. Once you get the two sides squeezed together (the "cuts" at the back of the box should be closed) and ease toward you and it will drop. You should not have to pull down.

It is definitely a frustrating design.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts