Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have not quite yet joined the community of owning a Jeep Patriot. I’m currently on the search for buying my first vehicle, I’m on the young side. I have my eyes on a 2010 Jeep Patriot SPORT 4WD 2.4L 4Cylinder with 143,000km, roughly 89,000 miles for my American folk, being sold by a dealership. So, I have done little research, will be doing more, on the Patriot and my main concern is the CVT transmission, with it not lasting long, if not maintained properly, and with repairs/replacements being expensive. So, my questions are, what should I be looking out/inspecting for when I’m looking at the vehicle in person. Any questions I should be asking the sales rep./dealership. (Please do state the obvious, It could help) Are there any red flags throughout the Patriot saying I shouldn’t purchase? If the Patriot is not ideal for the first-time (young) vehicle owner, for some reason, any recommendations for other vehicles that are? Thank you in advance for your input. I do like the Patriot and would love to own one. If all goes well, I will be taking home a Jeep Patriot this weekend. I will have my parents with me while I review the vehicle, but I’d like a little input from Jeep Patriot owners. Thanks Again!

·
Super Moderator
4,322 Posts
Welcome!

Along with a thorough transmission check, I would check the suspension closely for worn parts, tires for signs of uneven wear, and the undercarriage for rust with close attention given to the front and rear subframe/crossmembers as they can corrode from road salt to the point of being dangerous.

Below are just a couple of examples, google will give you lots more.

Front

Rear - Lower control arm mount completely broken off.

·
Registered
104 Posts
like Sandstone said rust can be a problem in areas where salt is still used on the roads. And you already know that the CVT is the weak point, so make sure the dealership replaces the fluid before you buy it. You should have an independent auto mechanic connect his fancy scan tool, drive it around and tell you what he thinks before you buy it.

Something else to consider are the changes that were made to the patriot over the years. 2007 - 2010 had the old interior and bumper design. The new interior design (2011 and up model) is a BIG improvement from the original. The newer (2014 and up) had a different dash (cluster) with more technology features like MPG tracking, TPMS improvements and more. I think some of the early problems that the patriots had were fixed in the later years (2011 and up).

Your looking at a 10 year old car with 90K miles don't pay to much $5000 - $6000 USD

·
7,754 Posts
Rust can also be a problem on vehicles that have not been exposed to salt. From what I've read (not had the problem myself) one cause of the problem may be that sometimes the a/c is routed to drain onto the frame and that leads to rust.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts