Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until this year I have always had Winter tires for November through March and All Season tires for the remaining months. Last Spring I decided to try All Weather tires instead because my summer tires and also the winter tires were worn out. I got 4 Toyo Celsius CUV tires in 225/60/17 size and they have the Mountain Snowflake symbol making them legal for winter use. They are Not supposed to wear out in the summer like ordinary winter tires. I haven't got a lot of miles on them so far because of the pandemic but they seem to be fine in 7 inches of new snow. They are pretty good on icy roads too so I hope they will work out Okay.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,535 Posts
I'm death on all-season tires. Seems to me there must be a trade-off either poor traction in winter or wearing fast in the summer. Fuel economy may suffer as well.

I'm run Firestone LRR tires on my Compass and they give me easily 10% better fuel economy in the summer (though some of my economy may be due to summer conditions). They are acceptable for light off-roading (got me out of one spot) but frankly lousy in the snow. Being caught behind a jackknifed semi in an early season snowstorm, I had to back down a steep hill and even with AWD it was not an easy task. Lesson learned, I promptly switched to dedicated winter tires and the winter performance is far better.

I don't doubt that all-season tires will do OK under some driving conditions like starting up in snow on a hill because you've got AWD. The problems may come with braking, cornering and lateral stability. I had GY Wrangler RTSs on our old Wrangler and they were terrifying in the snow. No problem starting up on a hill, but the lateral stability was so poor they couldn't resist the crown of the road. Ironically, I would choose my Grand Prix over the Wrangler in snow. (The Grand Prix had Michelin Harmonies -- darn good tire they don't make anymore :confused: ). Since my Wife usually drove the Wrangler, I got those RTSs off the next chance I got. No way I was letting the PILMITW ride on those.

I'll be curious to know your experience after a full winter with those tires. PKUP.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All Weather tires are rated to be a different class than All Season or 3 Season tires. If these new tires do not work out for me in a Canadian Winter I will probably get some Bridgestone Blizzaks and new alloy wheels because I threw out my badly rusted black steel wheels after 12 years of winter use.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,535 Posts
All Weather tires are rated to be a different class than All Season or 3 Season tires. If these new tires do not work out for me in a Canadian Winter I will probably get some Bridgestone Blizzaks and new alloy wheels because I threw out my badly rusted black steel wheels after 12 years of winter use.
As I asked, please keep us posted. A tire that performs well in all weather conditions is sort of the holy grail among tire designers. I'd be surprised if they can make a tire that sticks to pavement and also delivers good fuel economy. I'll be eager to see if Toyo has actually pulled this off.

·
Registered
677 Posts
how many snows and how many inches does your winters have?

I live in an area that gets very little snow, northwest Tennessee, usually at most a few 3-4 inches a winter, recently less so I don't need winter tires, just go slow on ice

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On Monday and Tuesday we got a dump of 14 inches of snow and with a strong wind the drifts could be 3 feet deep. My All Weather tires worked Okay on the side streets. The highways were plowed today but still pretty slippery with icy patches. I admit the new tires are not as aggressive in deep snow as the Hercules Avalanche Xtreme winter tires I had before but they are good enough that I won't need to spend a lot of money for new winter tires and 4 new rims.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
This is an update. I have now had the Toyo All Weather Celsius tires for 2 1/2 years but have not driven very many miles because of the pandemic. My gas mileage has been fantastic as a gallon of gas lasts for almost a month. Seriously this winter I will driving about 500 km per week to visit my wife who unfortunately is in a long term care facility. The Toyo tires still have enough tread left on them but I put on the Cooper studded winter tires that were stored in my daughter's garage for a couple of years after she got a different vehicle. The Coopers are 215/70/16 mounted on black steel rims that my grandson repainted. I feel more secure with these tires on the sometimes icy hiways and the Toyo All Weather tires will still be Okay for a while for 3 season use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts