Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

My Patriot turned 10 years old this year. It has 50k miles so far. Things I've done are:

Both lower control arms.
Both rear calipers.
Brakes/Rotors.
Sway bar link.
CVT fluid change.
Battery.
Tires being replaced tomorrow (8 year old Wrangler SR-A's).

The ball-joint failure at 30k some miles was annoying, but honestly as of now the thing has been great. My question is, what components can I expect to fail because of time, and what services should be done? (i.e radiator flush, etc)

·
Super Moderator
5,119 Posts
Radiator coolant exchange is a good idea.

I'd check the serpentine belt, make sure there's no cracks.

Check the tie rod ends for play.

Rear hubs is something to keep an ear out for; when they go bad they can rumble when driving straight and can cause tire chirp on tight turns on pavement/concrete.

Keep a look out for cross-member/ subframe rust. Depending where you are you might want to consider anti rust treatment like fluid film etc.

Worn rear suspension parts like weak springs and worn upper control arm bushings can cause sagging, and dry swivel ball joints in the lower control arms and toe links can cause creaking.

Inspect the CV joint boots for grease leaks.

Drain and re-fill the PTU and RDU if it's a 4x4.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Radiator coolant exchange is a good idea.

I'd check the serpentine belt, make sure there's no cracks.

Check the tie rod ends for play.

Rear hubs is something to keep an ear out for; when they go bad they can rumble when driving straight and can cause tire chirp on tight turns on pavement/concrete.

Keep a look out for cross-member/ subframe rust. Depending where you are you might want to consider anti rust treatment like fluid film etc.

Worn rear suspension parts like weak springs and worn upper control arm bushings can cause sagging, and dry swivel ball joints in the lower control arms and toe links can cause creaking.

Inspect the CV joint boots for grease leaks.

Drain and re-fill the PTU and RDU if it's a 4x4.
Thank you thank you thank you. I checked the subframe over and there's a major amount of rust thats peeling off like tree bark. Called FCA, it happens to be under warranty still (turns out they know its an issue and extended a warranty on it) Getting it replaced soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts