Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Not Sponsored
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This install was a nightmare for anyone reading. It resulting in 4 different mechanical technicians, including 2 master techs. One steering wheel puller (which oddly enough didn't really help that much), one hub puller, a 10mm socket, a 14mm socket, a drift bar?, a removed drivers door, and lots and I mean LOTS of patience. Hopefully Saturday I'll be able to atleast write up the best of my ability what remotely happened in hopes that whoever tries this next will have much better luck with it.

All I can say, is I truly believe I'm one of the first, if not the first one to ever install the aftermarket steering wheel.

Full/partial writeup to come. Another day. But I leave you with this:

·
Major Modificator
498 Posts
Does the steering wheel stick out like crazy? Drove an xj with an aftermarket one time. The only way to hold it was by wrapping your arm over the top. Horrid for driving

·
Not Sponsored
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the steering wheel stick out like crazy? Drove an xj with an aftermarket one time. The only way to hold it was by wrapping your arm over the top. Horrid for driving
Not at all, it's actually a little bit further back if not right at stock distance

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Why exactly did you change the wheel over?

Was it just 'to be different'?, or did you have an actual problem with the stock wheel?

·
Not Sponsored
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why exactly did you change the wheel over?

Was it just 'to be different'?, or did you have an actual problem with the stock wheel?

Both. I had to change the stock wheel due to height restrictions. I downsized to a much smaller wheel because my knees touched the steering wheel at all times. Which made driving both uncomfortable and unsafe.
I also did it because I'm attempting to build a show car, and having a stock steering wheel in a fully modified car is frowned upon.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
what about the air bag?

·
Not Sponsored
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what about the air bag?
I don't have one. it was either fit in my jeep and not have an airbag, or have an air bag and not fit.

Plus, by the end of the year I'll most likely have race harnesses and a harness bar so I don't plan on going anywhere in terms of an accident.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
looks great! hopefully i will have some better luck taking it off because mine is a little newer. i also have plenty of people to help me that have lots of experience. my buddy has done a quick release on so many cars. he is even a professional drifter, even sponsored by hoonigan. are you looking at wrapping your car eventually? i plan on wrapping mine with my sponsor 506 wraps. i am just trying to find mods that you haven't already done, lol.

·
Major Modificator
498 Posts
looks great! hopefully i will have some better luck taking it off because mine is a little newer. i also have plenty of people to help me that have lots of experience. my buddy has done a quick release on so many cars. he is even a professional drifter, even sponsored by hoonigan. are you looking at wrapping your car eventually? i plan on wrapping mine with my sponsor 506 wraps. i am just trying to find mods that you haven't already done, lol.
Bag your Pat. Creation refuses to :p I would venture into it if I didn't want new wheels so bad.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I don't have one. it was either fit in my jeep and not have an airbag, or have an air bag and not fit.

Plus, by the end of the year I'll most likely have race harnesses and a harness bar so I don't plan on going anywhere in terms of an accident.
i understand that,but how did you go around to fool the computer?

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,107 Posts
i understand that,but how did you go around to fool the computer?
I bet you just get a check engine light when the air bags were supposed to deploy:eek:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I bet you just get a check engine light when the air bags were supposed to deploy:eek:
not really.the computer checks airbags and abs among other things on startup.when anything is wrong the lights don't shut off.
at least to my knowledge.
happened to me in the past due to airbag sensor on a vw.

·
Not Sponsored
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only light that gets thrown is the air bag light, and when scanned it just trips the steering wheel one. But my resistors were delivered Saturday to trick the system.

I promise I'll update this with a how to. There's so much that went into this that I just really want to make sure that it's working before I post "go buy these $800 in parts" then only to find out the next day my car explodes because of it then everyone else who follows.

There's still a few bugs I'm working out so bear with me.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
The only light that gets thrown is the air bag light, and when scanned it just trips the steering wheel one. But my resistors were delivered Saturday to trick the system.

I promise I'll update this with a how to. There's so much that went into this that I just really want to make sure that it's working before I post "go buy these $800 in parts" then only to find out the next day my car explodes because of it then everyone else who follows.

There's still a few bugs I'm working out so bear with me.
n.p.
good luck with your project.
looks awesome btw

·
Not Sponsored
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
n.p.
good luck with your project.
looks awesome btw
My steering wheel shows up today, as well as a spacer I needed to properly adjust everything to where I needed it. So maybe a little later I'll have an update?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just installed a vms steering wheel on my 2014 with quick release looks great and feels great. Have to lower it more (already 2 in drop) get new rims so the outside to be complete then on to motor work

1 - 20 of 22 Posts