Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Equal Opportunity Mod
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before anyone gets too excited, I know the jeep isn't a race car or the poster child (if you will) for a high performance machine. I just want a little something more! I wanted to ask you all what aftermarket parts can I put on my rig for a little extra something? also...I came across a throttle body spacer. has any one else tried this? I have used them before and seen slight results but both were installed on 8 cylinder vehicles.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I can't see a TB spacer doing much, since the intake manifold is made of plastic (doesn't conduct too much heat), and the TB is mounted so low and far from the heads, I doubt heat soak is much of an issue on the intake at all. Just my guess here, I have no personal experience in such matters.

That said, there are some Mopar shorty headers that are said to help substantially (I believe they're also marketed by one of the other exhaust companies, but with a substantial markup for what is EXACTLY the same product, produced in the same factory). IIRC, they have equal-length runners, and should bolt in directly in place of the stock manifold, with no alterations downstream.

What I'd LIKE to see is some long-tube headers, but I haven't found anyone who makes any yet (granted, I haven't been searching THAT hard).

I believe there is at least one company that does Stage 2 cams.

Otherwise, you've got your CAI's and poly bushing kits, suspension upgrades and frame stiffeners. Not much else, and most of this stuff is marketed toward Calibers (make that your preferred search term instead of "Patriot").

And I still think the stock aluminum CSRT4 LCA's will fit the Patriot, but I don't have $500± to test the theory.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Before anyone gets too excited, I know the jeep isn't a race car or the poster child (if you will) for a high performance machine. I just want a little something more! I wanted to ask you all what aftermarket parts can I put on my rig for a little extra something? also...I came across a throttle body spacer. has any one else tried this? I have used them before and seen slight results but both were installed on 8 cylinder vehicles.
not sure what a TB spacer does,
generally to improve a TB(at least in past cars), you want more airflow, and smoother airflow within the TB.
some past mods on TB were replacing TB with a larger diameter TB, Porting and polishing the TB.
dont see how a spacer will improve the TB.

·
Equal Opportunity Mod
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The spacers are said to make power through fuel atomization, by creating a swirl into the manifold. what they are said to do is increase the volume of air giving the intake more unhindered air to tap into! Even if it doesn't do much it sure does make a cool whistling sound as you can hear the swirling air, almost sounds like a teeny tiny turbo.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
not sure what a TB spacer does,
generally to improve a TB(at least in past cars), you want more airflow, and smoother airflow within the TB.
some past mods on TB were replacing TB with a larger diameter TB, Porting and polishing the TB.
dont see how a spacer will improve the TB.
On carbureted, V-configuration engines where the intake is in the valley of the V, the spacer gives more time for the fuel to atomize before it splits into the intake runners. It also isolates the carb somewhat from the heat of the engine, which helps keep the air a little cooler before it enters the cylinders (cooler air = more oxygen density = more bang).

On inline engines, the same principle can be applied by adding a spacer between the intake manifold and the head (this is called a phenolic spacer). This isolates the intake from heat, which again, helps keep the air cooler. A lot of folks make their own phenolic spacers by tracing the intake gasket onto a plastic kitchen cutting board, and cutting the shape into the plastic, which then gets bolted in between the manifold and the head.

They're not a HUGE gain in performance, but if you're trying to eek out every last bit, it's an option.

However, like i said before, the fact that our intake is made of plastic kinda negates the need for a spacer, i would assume.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
On carbureted, V-configuration engines where the intake is in the valley of the V, the spacer gives more time for the fuel to atomize before it splits into the intake runners. It also isolates the carb somewhat from the heat of the engine, which helps keep the air a little cooler before it enters the cylinders (cooler air = more oxygen density = more bang).

On inline engines, the same principle can be applied by adding a spacer between the intake manifold and the head (this is called a phenolic spacer). This isolates the intake from heat, which again, helps keep the air cooler. A lot of folks make their own phenolic spacers by tracing the intake gasket onto a plastic kitchen cutting board, and cutting the shape into the plastic, which then gets bolted in between the manifold and the head.

They're not a HUGE gain in performance, but if you're trying to eek out every last bit, it's an option.

However, like i said before, the fact that our intake is made of plastic kinda negates the need for a spacer, i would assume.
been a long time since i worked on carbs
yes i do remember spacers for carbs as you said,
havent heard of similar for Fuel injected TB's
guess it works in principle, doubt would be as effective as they were on carbs.

·
Equal Opportunity Mod
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they were most definitely more effective on carbureted engines as they would have also helped with air temperature as well. on our throttle body set up I think there will still be a little bit more fuel atomization as the air is still a little bit more accessible and swirled into the intake....it wouldn't probably be noticeable however aside from the cool whistle created :)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
they were most definitely more effective on carbureted engines as they would have also helped with air temperature as well. on our throttle body set up I think there will still be a little bit more fuel atomization as the air is still a little bit more accessible and swirled into the intake....it wouldn't probably be noticeable however aside from the cool whistle created :)
In that regard it won't help at all. In carb'd engines, the fuel is injected at the throttle - a total of maybe three inches from each other - and adding a 2-inch spacer would certainly make a difference to the time it takes the fuel to atomize.

In modern fuel-injected engines like ours (specifically, ours), there's damn near two feet between the throttle plate and where the fuel enters the airstream. The fuel is injected just barely upstream of the cylinder, and is already atomized (due to the pressure of the fuel coming from the injector). So adding an inch or two to a two-foot long air tube isn't going to do nearly as much good as it would on a carb'd V-config engine.

Also, again, I doubt there's much heat soak on the plastic intake manifold.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I wouldn't waste your time or money trying to get some more HP out of the patriot.

·
Equal Opportunity Mod
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
couldn't agree more :) we know that would wake it up a bit huh! how much does a supercharger run for our rides any who?

·
Mopar or no car!!!
1,719 Posts
Even just a little PSI out of a supercharger would make a world of difference! I'd be willing to run premium!

·
Registered
5 Posts
has anyone had any performance gain with remapping the patriot. I know its not turbo or sc. surely some power can be gained with exhaust, airbox and a remap.

·
Equal Opportunity Mod
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have done a remap after installing a drop in [email protected] and a cat back exhaust system but I haven't bought the actual aftermarket intake. I don't think anyone has purchased the intake on the later model riots...they are so pricey! Now that NTH has told me about this header by Mopar, I am interested!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
There is no aftermarket performance support for this vehicle. To see any kind of real gains, short of major engine upgrades, you would need a performance or custom tune and no company offers one for the Patriot( that I know of ).

About all you could do is add a performance exhaust and maybe a homemade CAI. Neither is going to do much of anything( HP/MPG )however. The gains will be so minimal, if any, that you are wasting your money unless you do it for sound and/or appearance alone.

Throttle body spacers are a complete waste of money.

·
Registered
577 Posts
There is no aftermarket performance support for this vehicle. To see any kind of real gains, short of major engine upgrades, you would need a performance or custom tune and no company offers one for the Patriot( that I know of ).

About all you could do is add a performance exhaust and maybe a homemade CAI. Neither is going to do much of anything( HP/MPG )however. The gains will be so minimal, if any, that you are wasting your money unless you do it for sound and/or appearance alone.

You mean you cant turn the patriot into some 300 hp monster. gtfo

·
Equal Opportunity Mod
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

X2 well put NH! there actually is a company that manufactures an intake now though, we don't have to manufacture our own now.

@84z28 all it takes it money....i'm sure enough money and you can get 300hp.

·
Registered
577 Posts
X2 well put NH! there actually is a company that manufactures an intake now though, we don't have to manufacture our own now.

@84z28 all it takes it money....i'm sure enough money and you can get 300hp.
And like I said before its a giant waste of money and time. Just like the ricers trying to make there Honda fast.

·
Equal Opportunity Mod
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
You mean you cant turn the patriot into some 300 hp monster. gtfo
There is a difference in not being able to and having the opinion to not want too. It's all relative my friend. I agree it's a waste! I also say can't is such a limiting word.

·
Registered
577 Posts
There is a difference in not being able to and having the opinion to not want too. It's all relative my friend. I agree it's a waste! I also say can't is such a limiting word.
That was sarcasm you quoted. Didnt mean you can't, said it was a waste of time and money. The patriot wasn't built to handle hp. by the time you get a turbo in there and get a tune for it then you have to worry about the transmission taking a crap and the rest of the drivetrain. I have been wrenching on cars for a long time and just throwing a turbo on something dosent work out in the overall reliability stand point. Everyone talking about it is one thing, actually doing it is another.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts