Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Aftermarket Liftgate Support Struts??

3K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  jaison 
#1 ·
I usually use OEM parts for important stuff like engine parts, suspension, etc., but am considering aftermarket liftgate suppport struts to replace mine that are getting weak.

Anyone have positive experiences and recommendations for aftermarket liftgate support strut brands for my Patriot?

Thank you.

#3 ·
I also put the strongarms on my 08 about 5 years ago. I think one of them is getting weak though as they no longer left the tailgate all the way up on their own, but do still hold it all the way up when lightly assisted. They were cheap though, i think like 7 or 8 bucks each back then.

#4 ·
Yep, like around $10 and change today at Rock. Just wish there was an easy way to add gas struts to the hood like I did with my Daytona hood. Provisions were already there on the Charger, and I was able to grab off the shelf parts and add them easily, making the ugly and dangerous hood prop useless. I noticed that the hoods on the little Pat' are damn heavy though. Hate having that ugly little prop holding it up, especially on a windy day if you're outside.

#7 ·
Thanks gang! The favorable responses here regarding aftermarket success resulted in me saving over $50 vs. OEM's that are $$$.

I spent about an hour on the interweb (like I ALWAYS do) and studied the options. The Strongarm brand actually has a U.S. presence with customer service support. About Strong Arm

Vs. RockAuto ($11 shipping), for just $4 more total, I was able to buy them locally in-stock at Advanced Auto using a 20% off discount code.

#9 ·
Thanks gang! The favorable responses here regarding aftermarket success resulted in me saving over $50 vs. OEM's that are $$$.

I spent about an hour on the interweb (like I ALWAYS do) and studied the options. The Strongarm brand actually has a U.S. presence with customer service support. About Strong Arm

Vs. RockAuto ($11 shipping), for just $4 more total, I was able to buy them locally in-stock at Advanced Auto using a 20% off discount code.
Yeah, I've had that FRUSTRATING experience with Rock more than a few times. Parts are pennies, but shipping will cost you a week's wages! Often negates any "savings", unless you have a crap-ton of parts, and amortizing shipping costs over several parts.

One other advantage I've found with Advance local by me, besides the 15% or 20% discounts on the web, is that for things like wiper blades, they'll install them for free. I have no issue installing my own parts like batteries, plugs, filters, etc., but in the past couple decades it seems that something as simple as installing wiper blades has become a complex PITA on some models, with all of the variants in arm width, and attaching hardware/adapters, so I actually welcome letting them do it while I sit in the comfort of my vehicle. :giggle:

#8 ·
The local dealer I bought mine from installed aftermarket liftgate support hydraulic pieces when mine started going out. The service manager personally recommended them, said he had the same thing on his half-ton pickup, under the hood. I don't recall what brand though, unfortunately.

#11 ·
Update! I just got up from falling off my chair! The StrongArm lift supports are made in the U.S.A..! (y) Wish I had known that from the start.

I had to work at it a bit, but most of the Advanced Auto coupon codes are for 15% off, but I managed to find one for 20% off that worked. Also, Rock Auto almost always has a 5% off coupon code available.

#12 ·
got the Strongarms on both our Pats and very pleased with them. Ordered via Rockauto, got them in 4 days after ordering (in Norway!)
Yep ,freight is expensive but not really that much options here if you need specific parts. Local internetshops either dont know a Patriot (only sold here 2007/2008/2009) or they easily send something wrong.
Ordered 50x times last year at Rockauto (got a 2000 Dodge Durange as well) and not one single time something was wrong.

#13 ·
got the Strongarms on both our Pats and very pleased with them. Ordered via Rockauto, got them in 4 days after ordering (in Norway!)
Yep ,freight is expensive but not really that much options here if you need specific parts. Local internetshops either dont know a Patriot (only sold here 2007/2008/2009) or they easily send something wrong.
Ordered 50x times last year at Rockauto (got a 2000 Dodge Durange as well) and not one single time something was wrong.
Gee, Gonzo, maybe I need to move to Norway for quicker shipping! Lol. My last order (past summer) from Rock, I had ordered a new engine air filter for both the '15 Pat' as well as the wife's '21 Durango, plus both cabin air filters, plus engine oil filter for the Durango. All were acknowledged as "in stock", with anticipated delivery via FedEx within 3-5 days. So... I get email notification SOME parts got shipped from one location, with ETA in about 3 days. About 5 days later, they came. Then a few days go by with no updates on balance of my order. Finally, almost 2 weeks after I ordered the "in stock" items, the balance of my order shows up shipped from a 2nd location - all separate shipping charges! Just glad I hadn't planned on working on both vehicles the weekend after I ordered. Had to stagger my work, doing a cabin air filter here, an oil change there, engine air filter another time. Past couple orders from them have been like that, so unless they are giving stuff away, or free shipping, I've tried to avoid them, unless my only resort. Oh, plus they had advertised I think it was a new triple HEPA cabin air filter from WIX that was shown to fit the Pat', and because we all have allergies, thought I'd give it a try. No go! It was about an 1/8" to a 1/4" too tall to fit into the Pat' filter box. Tried it every which angle, but if I tried any harder to force it, it would crush like an accordion, so I had to request an RGA to send it back, and even after a lengthy explanation and measurements I sent them, they acted like they didn't believe me, but did take it back. So for me, between the shipping charges and wait time frustration, I'll order from Amazon (free fast shipping), Walmart (either p/u local store or free shipping over $49), or look for 15% - 20% off at Advance (a mile from my house). I want to like ordering from Rock, but they really need to step up their game if I am to order from them again.

#14 ·
Well , i wish i could order parts for your prices. Freight mostly doubles the price for me. Pity indeed you cannot order several parts from Rock and ship them at once. Would save me a lot.
But bying at local shops cost even more since they need to make money on it too. And closest shop is 15 miles away.
So for me Rock works.

#15 ·
Yeah, for me, ordering an $15 air filter plus a $12 cabin air filter and then have them make 2 separate shipments adding $8 - $10 shipping charges per shipment jacks the price total to between $35 - $40, so even if I pay a little extra at a parts store, I either break even or come out ahead, not to mention I can get it when I need it. Do you have a choice to order things there through Amazon, and if so, is it any more expensive for shipping?

#18 · (Edited)
One trick with rockauto when it says shipping from two or more warehouses is look for an alternate brand that is in the same warehouse as other parts. So say a Fram filter is in warehouse A and a Dayco belt is in B, you may find the Gates belt, though a dollar more is at A and you save 6.99 in shipping. They conveniently put a little truck icon in the parts listings showing you those parts are in the same warehouse as parts already in your cart.

#23 ·
When I comparison shop I generally go OCD on all of the options and weighing all the pros and cons. At some point, one decides at what savings amount does the decision/trouble warrant. It's very tough now-a-days because aftermarket parts quality is extremely variable, even with name brands. Sometimes I notice that the highest quality parts have the shortest warranties. A piece of junk with a lifetime warranty is not a bargain. One should consider value vs. lowest price. Parts selection is a balancing act for sure. Older now, I seek the holy grail of lowest price less often , a hobby for many. I don't mind paying a little bit more for made in the U.S., but I stlll own lots of out sourced possesions (little choice). Regarding labor, these things are easier than windshield wipers.

My OEM struts were made by Stabilus. Mopar wants $35 to $50 each vs. less than $20 each for U.S. made Strongarm. Warranty is a smaller qualifier for cheap, easy to replace, less critical parts. My 2 cents.

#21 ·
I believe the StrongArm website indicates a 1-year warranty on their lifts. Does it include labor? If you put them on yourself in 10-15 minutes, then that's on you. If you paid a shop to have them installed, it's whatever their labor policy is. I have a local shop that I have do complicated stuff I can't/don't want to do. Their policy is 24-month/24K miles warranty on both parts and labor. As for "national", if you bought them through someplace like Auto Zone, Advanced, O'Reilly's, etc., then yeah. I mean, for like $10 a piece, and 10-15 minutes of my time every few years, well worth the savings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.