Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have aftermarket accessories that draw power directly from the battery terminal.

My issue is, I have been experiencing dead batteries with a year old battery. Thinking it was my alternator, I replaced it this summer. It has been better but still had an issue last week with a dead battery. My thinking is these accessories are pulling power from the battery when my Patriot is off.

Does anyone have a solution on how to rewire these accessories to a relay that is only activated when the the Jeep is on?

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
I have aftermarket accessories that draw power directly from the battery terminal....

My thinking is these accessories are pulling power from the battery when my Patriot is off.
I'd get a DVM and test the current draw from the battery to these accessories to try to determine if the accessories are the problem before wiring in a relay, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd get a DVM and test the current draw from the battery to these accessories to try to determine if the accessories are the problem before wiring in a relay, etc.
Why the need? Would rather not have the accessories wired directly to the battery anyway.

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
Good to know the draw is from an accessory and not a something else failing.

Not sure if you've already considered this, or if it will work for you, but some who have installed back-up cameras tapped into the back-up lights to power the camera so it's only on when the car is in reverse:

"The wires for the camera are red a black, encased in a protective black plastic covering, with the red wire being the positive, or power wire and the black being the negative, or ground wire. The backup light socket only has two wires going into it. The power wire is white with a green stripe and the ground wire is black with a blue stripe. I took about three inches of the black protective casing off leaving both the red and black wires exposed.

Using the supplied Scotchlock connectors, I then slipped the white and green wire into the Scotchlock connect first, then followed it by the red wire from the camera. With both of these wires in the thin slots of the metal plate inside the connector, I squeezed the lock closed and covering it with the plastic snap tab. For added security and peace of mind, you can wrap these connectors with electricians tape. I then repeated the same sequence for the ground wire. After the connections were made, I use a wire tie to secure any excess wire. At this point, just reverse the disassembly procedure to put the tail light assembly back together. Put the bulbs back into the sockets, the sockets into the tail light assembly, the assembly back onto the body, the anchors back in their holes, and finally, the pins pushed back into the anchors. Time to test the system! "

1 - 8 of 8 Posts