Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is interested in adding a dual reading light above their back seats like the one that is above your mirror, I have attached a template of the size hole you need.
I also attached the instructions for removing the reading light.

The part number for the reading light is: 1AN73DW1AD.
It was $58 from the Jeep dealer parts center.

There is an actual center dome light that is included with certain exported Patriots, but it is just a single small light and I am not sure if it has a separate on/off switch or how/when it comes on.
I wanted the same dimming courtesy, dual lamps, and on/off that the front one gives so I went with that.

If you do not have a sunroof, it should be a fairly easy task to splice into the power on the front reading lamp and run it thru the headliner, down the center channel back to the new center light. Sunroof makes it a little more challenging.

You could also tap into the rear cargo light, but in order to remove it, you must remove a bunch of rear panels. Seems easier to get it ftom the front.

Cheers,
Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Jim -- What if you do have the sunroof.....?

I also wonder what Jeep would charge to put this puppy in. I don't have the time to learn how to do it right :(

GB

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim -- What if you do have the sunroof.....?
Well if you still used the front light as a source you would just have to coat hanger to coat hanger the wire around the sunroof. They use thick glue to hold the headliner on so I am not sure how tight up to the sunroof that would be applied.
The raised center channel running down the headliner is not glued making for a nice place to run wires.

In the case of a sunroof it 'may' be easier to get it from the back HOWEVER, you would want to tap into the plug that feeds the rechargable/removable flashlight and not the courtesy circuit that runs the actual cargo light in order to be able to use the reading lamps.

-----Now for a kicker---->
It's tough to know for sure, but according to the service manual, there 'MAY' already be the wiring for the center dome light in place up there. just no actual light. They only show one wiring diagram. Not one labeled (w/dome light) and one without.

In that case if you used the existing wiring you may as well get the actual dome light, because it is powered off of the courtesy circuit. Meaning it dims after doors are closed. This would kill the ability to use reading lights.

Fortunately for me, but unfortunately for everyone else is the fact that the sunroof installers are putting mine in. So I won't be able to describe much of the process except second hand.

Cheers,
Jim

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks to this thread, I now have a reading light installed over my rear seats. I bought the light off ebay (from a Dodge Caliber, exactly the same part, even had the connector attached with wires tailing off), spliced wiring in from the front light, coat-hangered the wire back to where I'd cut the hole using Jim's template, and voila! Fiat lux!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts