Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok there is a thread already on changing the switches to ones that have the lights in them.http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12718

This is my step by step guide to adding LEDs to the existing switches.

OK, so I thought adding LED's to my window switches would be really cool.
Other Chrysler/ Jeep/Dodge models are pretty scarce at wreckers here so after reading the thread from the caliber forum
http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=6395
I thought it would be relatively easy and straight forward to just put the LED’s in the existing switches.

It was!

Important Info
Resist the temptation to put the LED under the toggle switch, they don’t fit, and will lift the switch off the board and it won’t work, unless you drill through the circuit board.

There are lots of pics at the Caliber forum above on how to the remove door, pull switches apart and wiring etc.
I have posted pics that I feel fill in the gaps, which is the bending and postioning of the LED

After a lot of mucking around I decided to work it out and do it my own way, which was easier for me. I used a combo of the ways listed on the other site.

If you are no good at soldering, the only soldering required is to attach the resistor to the LED. So you may be able to scrape through like I did or be able to buy them already attached, or get someone where you buy them from to do it.

Parts required
3mm LEDs
Resistors to suit the LEDs on 12V

Total cost for me about A$3

Tools required
Torx driver (I used an allan key/ hex key)
Screwdriver
Soldering iron and solder
Small pliers

1. Remove door panel
a. Remove little plastic cover thing in the door handle to expose torx screw.
b. Remove torx head screw, I didn’t fork out for a torx head driver, just used an allan key.
c. Remove door panel. The silver panel containing the switch(s) does not come off on its own here. Pull the door handle straight out and away from the door and the door panel will pop out at the latch end (rear of vehicle end). Stick your fingers in here and pull it out. Slowly go around and pop out the other clips one after the other. If you’ve pulled off the dash or any other trim you’ll know the amount of force needed to move these. If not then just take your time.
d. Unplug switches, unclip the door and remove.

2. Remove Switch
a. You can remove the switch straight out of the door panel from here, or unscrew the mounting plate. Unscrewing the mounting plate separates it from the silver panel on the other side. Then just uses a flat head screw driver to pop the clips holding the switch in. You have to be a little bit savage with the clips, but do not fear it all goes back together

3. Disassemble the switch

a. Carefully pry the top surround for the switch apart. This was easy enough for me to do by hand.
b. Then pop the switch itself off
c. Then remove the circuit board and surround off from the bottom
d. You will see the small toggle switch sitting on the board. Wiggle this back and forth (again by hand) and it will pop off. No need to remember which way it came off, it goes back on and works either way
e. You should then have the following 6 pieces.
i. Circuit board
ii. Toggle switch
iii. Switch (with light window)
iv. Main body
v. Switch surround
vi. Circuit board cover (white bit)

4. Solder the resistor onto the LED.
a. Do this however you like.
b. I cut one leg off the LED and cut the resistor down and soldered it on so that the 2 lengths were almost the same. The resistor side was a little longer.
c. It doesn’t matter which side you put the resistor on. Resistors work in both directions.
d. I will refer to this LED / Resistor combo from here on as the LED

5. Add LED to circuit board
a. The LED is attached to the board through the holes that the copper legs of toggle switch sit in. Insert the wires of the LED into the two holes closest to the centre of the board.
b. Looking at the board with the toggle switch removed and to the right, and the prongs for the plug underneath and on the left. The top left hole is +ve and bottom left is –ve.
c. With the LED sitting in these holes, take it out to your Jeep and test.
With ignition off, plug the board into the plug hanging out of the door
Take the clear plastic part so you can see which way the pins go in the plug the 1st time
Ensure the following with testing
Key is in ignition and accessories are on (radio on etc)
The drivers side switches are in

If the LED doesn’t work, swap around the holes they are in

6. Re attach toggle switch
a. Now that you have the LED in and working, push the toggle switch back on to the board
b. The wires from the LED are in 2 of the holes that the switch sits in. Be gentle and keep the wires towards the long/out sides of the board and the switch will go back on, keeping the LED firmly in place

7. Bend the LED to shine through switch

a. With the toggle reattached it will be easy enough to bend the LED up and under the clear part of the toggle switch
Do not be concerned that the LED is not directly under the toggle pointing upwards. I did and it took me a week to give in to the fact that it wasn't going to hapen. The clear part of the toggle is a great diffuser. It will shine more than enough light through from this postion (maybe too much)
b. Take care and just check that the LED wire is not contacting anything else.
c. Take it back out to your Jeep and check it again. Be careful not to move the LED or pop out the toggle while testing.
d. Check that the windows still go up and down.

8. Re assemble switch and door.
a. Put the switch back together
b. Test the switch again
c. Put the switch in the door panel and reassemble the door panel
d. Test the switch again
e. Put the door panel back on

9. Repeat for other doors.

10. Drivers side.

There are 4 switches to do on the drivers side, just take your time and be careful.
You also need to remove the window lock button when dismantling the switch. No need to remove the door lock button.
The driverside already contains an recesed LED. To ensure all siwtches were exactly the same colour I covered it with a small peice of black electrical tape.

11. Sit back and bask in the glory of your illuminated switches!

Please feel free to ask questions. I learned a lot doing this.
If you run into any trouble post away or shoot me a PM.
I would have asked 20 questions or so, except I didn't want to have to register on another forum.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
LED + Resistor = 1337 soldering skillz!

Switch with LED

Bend the LED over like this

Testing the drvierside before re installing. Not the prettiest peice of wiring, but does the job

Completed Drivers Side

Completed Passenger Side

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Wow....got a little time on your hands eh?:D

·
Registered
511 Posts
hey mud very good posting and help for putting led's on the window switches. It's awful to see only the driver's switch with a led. The rest don't have and your writting is very helpful to install led's. Thanks a lot for the posting

·
Registered
472 Posts
does this mean we can put whatever color we want to ??

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sskelmar, it really wasnt that hard, just a bit fiddly.

jessi, yes, you can put what ever colour you like in.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nah, it only took 3 beers to complete

·
Registered
146 Posts
Looks good, I really like it. Wish I had soldering skills!!! And patient skills!!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks good, I really like it. Wish I had soldering skills!!! And patient skills!!!
you need to solder some stuff, but believe me, soldering skills are not required

·
Registered
313 Posts
Did it. Used, I think, 680ohm resistors.
Nice touch, when power windows lock button is pressed, lights on passenger door go off.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did it. Used, I think, 680ohm resistors.
Nice touch, when power windows lock button is pressed, lights on passenger door go off.
really?

I have not noticed this on mine

·
Aussie Patriot Legend
996 Posts
done the mod and used superbright white leds.....going to change to normal, bit to much light now at night

·
Registered
313 Posts
Best guess... window lock button cuts power supply... and since the LEDs are just directly connected to the power supply.... but it is only a guess....

Actually, I was QUITE surprised when I found out that the switches are not soldered to the [email protected] :confused:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Best guess... window lock button cuts power supply... and since the LEDs are just directly connected to the power supply.... but it is only a guess....
Yes this would be right , after going and checking mine do the same!

I never lock them though.
But its cool that they turn off when locked !1

I bet the Dodge switches dont do that!!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Ok... So I was wrong. Radio Shack only has 5mm LED's. Not good. No 3mm's available so I look at options and see some rectangular super bright blue LED's. I figure they are roughly the same color as the blue lighting on the buttons of the '09 Patriot so I decide to go with them. THEY ARE BRIGHT so if you decide to go with them you would need to consider moving them a bit away of the transparent plastic body of the switch.

No flash. Picture does NOT really show the brightness of these LED's.

Flash photo. Notice how really bright those LED's are?

The LED's are 20mA using between 3.2 and 3.6 volts if I am not mistaken. They require 600 ohm resistors so I went with the 630 ohm, 1/2 watt resistors.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts