Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First these directions are for any Jeep REC, REG, RAK, RAR & RAQ Radio. This worked for me and I had no problems and was able to complete the install in under an hour with just bare hands and one 7mm open ended wrench.Other then that there are no warantes express or implied as to your Jeep install.

Step 1 - buy a Jeep Patriot
jeep pat.jpg

Step 2- buy a JEEP PATRIOT DIRECT iPOD connector - many different companies offer these i purchased mine on eBay for $119.99

ipod conectorJPG.JPG

Step 3- with your bare hands pop lose the shifter console and turn it to the side

1.jpg

Step 4 remove two (2) 7mm screws at the bottom of the center console

2.jpg

step 5 - with your bare hands remove the top part of the center console directly above the a/c vents and remove two (2) 7mm screws at the top of the console

3.jpg

Will continue as I ran out of attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ipod install part 2

Step six - with your bare hands pull off the center console once it is loose remove the four (4) 7mm screws attaching the A/C controls so thta you can move the center console to the side to get to the radio.

4.jpg

step 7 remove the four (4) 7mm screws holding in the radio at each corner of the face

5.jpg

Step eight - follow your manufactures instructs for the wiring hook up but it is pretty much plug and play as there is no need to splice any wiring .

6.jpg

Step nine - find a place to put your ipod I placed mine in the glove box as it would be easy for both me and the thieves to get at :icon_rolleyes:

7.jpg

Step 10 reassemble and enjoy your music without commercials or having to choose which cds to bring with you.

Hope this helps someone as the directions that came with the converter were horrible.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks Finfir, helps me as I am going to do that (as soon as it warms up and the snow melts around here). One question and I'll assume the answer, you need to select "accessory" to play it through the stereo?

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
i have another question. Does the adapter allow you to select the song thru the factory head unit? or do you just have to play the ipod on random or pull it out to select a song?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
answers

1) activate by pressing mode

2) you can control the ipod through the radio head unit

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Very instructive! Thank you for your work.

However. these instructions are somewhat incorrect, especially step 2. Yes, there are several different iPod integration kits on the market. No, they are not all the same thing - some do not work with all head units (REG and the Peripheral Electronics unit are not compatible). No, all of them do not allow controlling the iPod via the head unit - especially not in practice, meaning the kit might make useability through the head unit so poor that it really isn't worth using. Also, some kits are FM modulators which have a strictly one-way signal path and poor sound quality. And some kits do not work with all iPods (the original Mopar kit).

So, thank you for your instructions on installation. The tricky part remains finding a suitable integration kit, and one should not imply that there is no difference in which kit one chooses.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I'm installing a Sirius radio and had no clue how to dismantle the center console as every car is different on these.
This will make a quick install for the weekend
Thanks again

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
Finfir, Nice pics and instructions! I wish I had, had that kind of help before I started taking the dash all apart.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nav and steering wheel controls

although I have neither the instructions indicated that this system was compatible with the factory navigation unit and with the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I got stuck at step 5, I began removing the top part of the dah but there are two clips that I can't undo. They look like they will break if I pull too hard, did you just pull them?

·
Fossilized Member
1,792 Posts
I got stuck at step 5, I began removing the top part of the dah but there are two clips that I can't undo. They look like they will break if I pull too hard, did you just pull them?
Has this question been answerd somewhere? The top cover on my Pat is so smooth I can't even get sufficient gription with my bare hands, let alone actually make it move. I may have to go the full instructions route and remove the pillar covers and top speaker covers.

·
Fossilized Member
1,792 Posts
Issues Installing Mopar iPod Integration Kit

Just wanted to pass along my installation experience installing the Mopar Kit 82209617AD into a navigation equipped (REC radio) Patriot. I had some issues I just wanted to share.

I followed both a combination of the instructions enclosed in the kit plus the wonderful photos finfir supplied.

The issues...

1) The Mopar kit unit is large (about the size of a small package of cigarettes). The wiring harness is thick and long (because it is designed for a number of Jeep models). These points matter.

2) Removing the driver side mounting screws holding the temperature control cluster was tedious. I could not move the console forward enough to use even a stubby philips screwdriver. I had to use a very small spanner wrench and it took a long time to unscrew/screw these. I could use the stubby on the passenger side screws.

3) There is very little room to position the unit behind the black plastic bracket that sits between the NAV unit and the temperature control cluster. My scraped and bloodied hands will attest to that. I had prewrapped the unit with the sticky adhesive pad only to discover it impeded my installation. I ended up having to tear off on side of the pad to get the unit to fit. The fit was extremely snug. I secured the unit to the bracket with the supplied zip-ties. The air was "blue" when I finally got the thing attached.

4) I thought I had smartly dressed the long wiring harness through a large whole behind and to the left of where the REC radio installs. I connected the harness (it installs between the radio and the existing harness) and then fitted the radio back in the bin. It is imperative at this point that you fire up the system before proceeding with console re-assembly.

5) The iPod fired up and a Jeep logo appeared. I thought I was a happy camper. The sound was amazing but odd. I quickly found there was very poor signal reaching the right (passenger side) speakers. Adjusting the balance control was not the solution. I dismissed the issue as a plug not completely seated. I turned off the radio and removed it from its bin. I reseated the connectors everywhere. I turned on the unit and it worked terrific. Or so I thought.

6) I pushed the now playing radio back in the bin. The right speakers cut out again. I pulled the radio forward and the right speakers worked again. Pushed the radio back and the speakers cut out. Hmmm, an intermittent wiring fault. After about 20 minutes of positioning and repositioning the wiring harnesses, I was finally able to arrive at a pushed in radio with all speakers firing. I was talking to myself by this time yelling "Like I need this!!!".

7) My concern is the wiring/plug position solution is tenuous at best. I worry that the harness will continue to settle as the Jeep stacks up mileage and endures all the bumps in the road. One day the speakers may just cut out. They haven't yet mind you. I am hoping I lucked out.

8) The kit utilizes the SAT "folder tab". This means you have to cycle past the CD tab twice to get to the iPod control. So, it is Mode-> CD -> SAT (for Sirius) -> CD -> SAT (iPod). You use the tuner and Enter key to navigate initially to get to Albums, Genres, Playlists, etc. Then, the channels are updated and now you can use the tuner to find a song. Oh by the way, it is one song per *channel*. Channel 1 is the first song within the album, genre or playlist, Channel 2 is the second song etc. The steering wheel controls work with this kit.

So, please be aware that, with the Mopar kits, it will be a VERY tight fit and as a result look and listen for intermittent connections. The one hour install took two and a half hours.

The sound is amazing. I have the BA system too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the post and pics, that is exactly what I needed to have the confidence to start pulling on things! I just installed my Motorola Hands free kit! (All I need now is to find the best place for a switched and non switched 12v source!)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for the post and pics, that is exactly what I needed to have the confidence to start pulling on things! I just installed my Motorola Hands free kit! (All I need now is to find the best place for a switched and non switched 12v source!)
I just installed my Motorola hands free, I could not locate a nearby none switched 12 volt source so I connected both wires to a switched source which was the cigar lighter and it works fine, now my question is where did you mount the control button thing, I mounted mine to the left of the steering wheel but find it is a little difficult to see

Bob

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been reading threads about the ipod connectors. First thing I'm not 100% sure on is what my cd player is. It's a single CD US Patriot. So that makes it an REF correct? I do not care about seeing the song titles on the headunit. I just want to get ride of the 3.5 jack cable and would like to be able to change songs on the head unit. Is this do-able with the ref headunit?

I'm looking at PAC
It says it wont work with REF, I'm wondering if it's just that it will not show the songs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well I'm positive it's an REF found a parts pdf.

So have any of you integrated an ipod on an ref single cd?

So far the only thing comparable that I've found is the mopar Part # 82209617AD that says it'll work on REF. Is there anything else out there?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks alot for the pics and info helped alot. Work of advise; dont be afraid to use a bit of force when necessary ;) Easy install only took about half an hour if that.

To Australian owners, I installed the PAC audio unit and works fine, it comes up on the DVD setting and not the VES setting like the states, which confused me a bit at first.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I installed my Peripheral CHYP. I would like to add a few comments.

Mopar sells an iPod integration kit. They have an installation manual available here - skip down to the Patriot page to see a diagram.

#1. Removing the top trim panel - there a long tab that extends out the back. Mopar's instructions tell you to remove the pillar trim and the long trim piece that covers the tweeters - but the trim piece is flexible enough to pull it out without taking off all that trim. There are 2 spring clips on each side of the top trim panel, and two more tabs that go under the center console piece. I used a putty knife with the sharp edge covered with electrical tape as a prying tool.

#2. I didn't remove the temp controls = it looked too tedious as posted above. I popped the silver cable (the thermostat cable) off its tab, and removed the cable mount from the white housing. I also removed the 3 harness plugs. I couldn't get the black cable (the air deflector cable) off, but now I had plenty of room to move the console to the side.

#3. The only way I could get the shift cover out of the way was to start the Jeep and put the Jeep in drive, then shut it off. Then the black shift indicator panel and the part that that snaps into can be easily moved out of the way.

#4. I didn't have the NAV system, so my Jeep had about an acre of room behind the plastic bracket to hide wires and the CHYP box. I followed the Mopar directions and cable tied everything to that bracket to avoid wire chafing and rattles.

#5. I ran an RCA -> 1/4 inch converter cable into the glove box. I have an old minidisc player and scores of old electronics I can plug into the 1/4" jack if I want to.

#6. I ran the long iPod interface cable behind the shift mechanism and towards the passenger side floor where the center console is really flexible and there's lots of room. Then I routed the cable back to the center console by using my taped putty knife, stuffing the cable under the console to about the midpoint of the center console where it would be between the passenger seat and the console. In the beginning, I wanted to route the cable up through the bottom of the console and up to the actual iPod holder. But I could see that there was no acceptable way to get the cable into that top area without a lot of cutting. So, I couldn't decide whether to route the cable into the bottom of the console, or just leave it exposed between the seat. I decided to leave it exposed - that cable is so long that back seat passengers can play with the iPod while it's playing. I can still stow the iPod in the center console bin, and there's enough clearance so that the cable isn't crushed. I can even put the ipod in the iPod holder. I may go back and reroute the cable inside the bin later - I don't like the exposed cable much.

Lastly, I'm pleasantly surprised that the iPod shuts off when I shut the radio off. The display never goes blank unless I disconnect the iPod, so I'm undecided whether I'll leave it plugged in or not.

The whole thing was really easy - the snap together design might freak out old backyard mechanics who crave more metal, but the install was a snap (no pun intended) and the trim fits well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can't stop myself sometimes ;).

I forgot to mention, the CHYP (which I've seen branded with other names too) comes up on the RAQ's display as DVD. It shows up in the EVIC as VES. The time doesn't tick off and the track names don't appear, but the CHP1 (iPod) or CHP2 (RCA jacks) do show up, and switch to the active input. The steering wheel controls work as far as next song/last song, and the DIR/PTY radio buttons skip to the next/last playlist.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts