Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been my experience that some engines have a dual life of a Car or maybe a Truck application and the Heavier Duty Application comes with a Larger Oil Filter.
QUESTION: Does the 2.4L Dual VVT have an optional Lager Oil Filter?
Example: I'm picking up filters to give our New to the Family 2014 Patriot a going over.
The AC Delco PH48E would be the stock replacement but a PH63E is almost 2x larger in length - has anyone tried using the PH63E on their 2.4L engine in a Patriot???

I haven't looked yet to even see if there is clearance but wanted to ask.

Much Thanks in Advance!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's been my experience that some engines have a dual life of a Car or maybe a Truck application and the Heavier Duty Application comes with a Larger Oil Filter.
Example: I'm picking up filters to give our New to the Family 2014 Patriot a going over.
The AC Delco PH48E would be the stock replacement but a PH63E is almost 2x larger in length - has anyone tried using the PH63E on their 2.4L engine in a Patriot???

Good find!
I have used PH63E and other similar ones. Currently using QS173- the Quaker State version.
There is an oil cooling benefit and obviously a filtration benefit.
Gives you at least 50% reserve if you need to go over the normal drain interval especially if you are using full-synthetic.
So say, if you are with Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Ultra you can push it up to 20,000km if necessary.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Also, if you really want to impress yourself add a can of MoS2 by Liqui Molly!!!
Cheers,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good find!
I have used PH63E and other similar ones. Currently using QS173- the Quaker State version.
There is an oil cooling benefit and obviously a filtration benefit.
Gives you at least 50% reserve if you need to go over the normal drain interval especially if you are using full-synthetic.
So say, if you are with Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Ultra you can push it up to 20,000km if necessary.
Thank You Peter for replying!!
I ended up using the Purolator PL22500 which is the same as I use on my 2011 Ford Escape with 3.0L V6.
I agree big benefit using a larger filter.
Went with the Pennzoil 5W-20 Ultra - 1 week prior to the oil change and added the recommended amount of SeaFoam to the oil and it sure did clean something out as the "conventional" oil that the used car lot put in came out extremely black and chunky! even the oil fill cap was cleaner underneath! I went back to my tried and true Mystery Oil though and will do another "short interval" oil change on this in a few months since we don't know the history and it appears to have had sat for a long time prior to our ownership.

Thanks Again and Stay Safe My Northern Neighbor!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts