Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Jeep about 132k miles and my AC stopped working unexpectedly in july. It turns on but only blows hot air. I’ve tried refilling the ac but it wouldn’t go in if that makes sense. It’s as if the lines were clogged. I’d like to know what it could be before I take it in and pay to get it diagnosed or if it’s something I can have a family member fix at home.

·
Administrator
8,242 Posts
I have a 2013 Jeep about 132k miles and my AC stopped working unexpectedly in july. It turns on but only blows hot air. I’ve tried refilling the ac but it wouldn’t go in if that makes sense. It’s as if the lines were clogged. I’d like to know what it could be before I take it in and pay to get it diagnosed or if it’s something I can have a family member fix at home.
Welcome to the forum!

Have you checked to see if the low pressure line is cool or hot to the touch when the A/C is on?

Have you checked to make sure the blend doors aren't stuck in the heat position?

If you're not sure what I'm talking about you may want to enlist the help of someone mechanically inclined, or as suggested above, have a diagnostic done by a qualified shop.

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Patriot Latitude 2.0
22 Posts
I'm going through the same thing with My 2016 Jeep Patriot my ac is blowing hot air intermittently and I took it to the mechanic and they checked everything and they said everything shows up it's fine And they thought that it had air in the system so they vacuumed my entire system out And they replaced the freon And it ran well for about an hour and then it started blowing hot again! I took it back to them and I noticed a knocking sound behind the glove department so I told them to check the blend door actuator and the replaced that and it seemed to run fine for about an hour Then it started with the dreaded hot air again! Does anyone know what else it could be? The blower motor is working cuz it is blowing hot air and it appears like the compressor is kicking on...does anyone know If it has a relay or a fuse that could be getting a bad connection or something? If so where are they located at does anyone have a diagram they could share with me? Or could it be the condenser? Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you. Because I've already spent over $400 trying to get this fixed and I really don't have any more $ to just throw at fixing it I would actually like to get it fixed.

·
Registered
2010 Jeep Patriot Sport FWD 2.0L CVT
6 Posts
I'm going through the same thing with My 2016 Jeep Patriot my ac is blowing hot air intermittently and I took it to the mechanic and they checked everything and they said everything shows up it's fine And they thought that it had air in the system so they vacuumed my entire system out And they replaced the freon And it ran well for about an hour and then it started blowing hot again! I took it back to them and I noticed a knocking sound behind the glove department so I told them to check the blend door actuator and the replaced that and it seemed to run fine for about an hour Then it started with the dreaded hot air again! Does anyone know what else it could be? The blower motor is working cuz it is blowing hot air and it appears like the compressor is kicking on...does anyone know If it has a relay or a fuse that could be getting a bad connection or something? If so where are they located at does anyone have a diagram they could share with me? Or could it be the condenser? Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you. Because I've already spent over $400 trying to get this fixed and I really don't have any more $ to just throw at fixing it I would actually like to get it fixed.
Wild! I am having the same issue with my 2010 Patriot and ironic because I've spent a little over $400 getting work done just for it to fail days later! Hoping to find a solution to this but I think by the time we find help winter will be around and A/C won't be necessary :(

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,397 Posts
Turn on the AC full blast and look at the AC compressor. If you can see the clutch spinning then the compressor is working. If it's spinning and still blowing hot air, then you probably have a faulty blend-door actuator. If the clutch is not spinning, then either the clutch is bad or something is preventing it from engaging, like a low refrigerant level, faulty pressure switch, blown fuse, or wiring issue.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If A/C compressor is turning, and freon levels have been verified to be where they should be, I would strongly suspect a bad blend door actuator motor. Just because it's new, doesn't mean you rule it out! Word of caution - on my '06 Daytona, I have replaced 3 out of 4 so far (Dual Climate system). I can tell you from experience that I have seen almost immediate failures of aftermarket ones. For these, and many other electronic sensors, I always stick with an OE Mopar part. Frustrating, especially if a shop tries to charge you to do the job over again soon afterwards. They should be easily able to test if it's a bad blend door motor if they have the right scanner that reads body codes. If not, they can test it by removing the recently replaced part and manually moving the blend door. If the A/C now blows cold, time for a new motor. I would hope that the shop has some type of warranty on parts/labor for a recently replaced part if it turns out to be faulty.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I posted a similar topic and received some great information.
See here:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts