Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready for the 24,000-mile service on my 2008 (2-liter, manual trans). The Maintenance Log says it's time to replace the A/C filter. My mechanic says he can't do it and I have to go to the dealer. That's surprising. Does anyone know the explanation? Have you ever replaced this filter yourself? Do I need to find a new mechanic?

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
It is easy to replace, and there are non-OEM available.

Wix Filters - Part Number 24313 (8.625"x7.625"x1")
NAPA - Part Number FIL4578
There are others or you could make your own.

The cabin (A/C) filter is located behind the glove box.

Open the glove box.
Push the sides, at the back of the glove box, together to get the glove box to drop down completely.
You will see the fan housing and there is a plastic cover with airflow stamped on it.
Take the cover off and replace the filter.
Reverse the process.
Have a beer or beverage of your choice.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I think I'd find a new mechanic, your guy obviously is not interested in doing a simple job, how interested will he be with a more complicated one?

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
for real? the A/C filter is the EASIEST piece of maintenance to do on a vehicle. i'm surprised that he won't do it for you. service shops LOVE to do that...they will charge $20-$30 for the part then another $20-$30 for the labor. it takes 5 mins to do. they just made a ton of money on the service...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yes, I will testify (not being the most mechanically inclined individual) that with the directions above replacing the cabin air filter was a very very easy do it yourself job as long as you take your time. Hardest part was emptying out the glove box.

It is several times easier than the engine airfilter which was sort of pain.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Simple... he has no idea where it is??? Really... takes 5-7 mins. tops.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Gonna make my own out of the blue cheapo filter they drop off at my apt every month... if I cut it to size and make some layers out of it, it should be decent no?

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
It will be better than nothing (will keep the leaves, large bugs, and some dust out) but not great.

My foam filter:

Click picture to go to my foam filter thread.

Here is what the foam filter I have been using looked like after 5 months:
I have been using the prototype frame and filter on left.
The filter on the right has not been used.

I just used some water in a bucket to clean the filter.
This is a picture of the first dirty gallon.
There is obviously quite a bit of dirt captured.
I repeated with clean water 2 more times to get it completely clean.

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
Holy crap! I better get some filter going, pronto!
Look at this nasty stuff!

Just cleaned the filter again. The water was just as filthy.
Bug guts, pollen, hair, grass, etc.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Just be careful moving the glove box. When I installed my CB's remote box into the glove box, I had to drop it down like you would to install the filter. I thought I had the tab thingys clear and began trying to pry the door down. Well... I broke one of the tabs right off! I was pissed! Meaning to fix it some day, but the thing still operates normally with out one tab. Learn from my idiotic mistake! :)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
You know what? Im not surprised he claimed he can't do it. I dont think he wants the liability if something happens. I was scared as hell prying the sides in of the glove box to get at it, or watching someone else do it on my behalf.
What a stupid set-up.
Anyway, I got mine accomplished @ a Mr. Lube in Markham.
Went in there for an oil change, I asked for it to be replaced, the manager claimed he didn't have the proper one in stock. A couple of days later I got an email from their headoffice for a customer service survey.
I indicated that the manager never offered that he would order the item in and I can come back, so a couple of days later I got another email back indicating they will offer me a 50% discount if Id like to come back and get it accomplished. So I did, and spent like 30 bucks in total.
I have since learned the part right from the dealership is much less than 30 bucks.
I also learned that there never was one installed in this vehicle when I bought it brand new from Chrysler.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey guys, is there a K&N filter that fits this application?

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
You know what? Im not surprised he claimed he can't do it. I dont think he wants the liability if something happens. I was scared as hell prying the sides in of the glove box to get at it, or watching someone else do it on my behalf.
What a stupid set-up.
Anyway, I got mine accomplished @ a Mr. Lube in Markham.
Went in there for an oil change, I asked for it to be replaced, the manager claimed he didn't have the proper one in stock. A couple of days later I got an email from their headoffice for a customer service survey.
I indicated that the manager never offered that he would order the item in and I can come back, so a couple of days later I got another email back indicating they will offer me a 50% discount if Id like to come back and get it accomplished. So I did, and spent like 30 bucks in total.
I have since learned the part right from the dealership is much less than 30 bucks.
I also learned that there never was one installed in this vehicle when I bought it brand new from Chrysler.
Chrysler doesn't include an A/C filter unless you get the FDII package. it's the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard...ALL vehicles these days come with an A/C filter. heck, even my 2003 honda civic came with an A/C filter. out of all of the things they could cut costs on, eliminating the A/C filter shouldn't be one of them. oh well.

yeah, $30 is after the 50% coupon? that's highway robbery. just go online to any autoparts store and you will be able to buy one for $15-$25. throw in an engine air filter too, then you usually qualify for free shipping. much better deal than taking it to a dealer/auto-shop and having them charge you up the whazoo for labor!

just make sure you have an extension when you do the engine air filter...or else it will be a PAIN! :doh:

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
I'm ready for the 24,000-mile service on my 2008 (2-liter, manual trans). The Maintenance Log says it's time to replace the A/C filter. My mechanic says he can't do it and I have to go to the dealer. That's surprising. Does anyone know the explanation? Have you ever replaced this filter yourself? Do I need to find a new mechanic?
i would not trust this guy with my pat

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Knowing the WIX part no. helped a lot.
NAPA tried to sell me one for $50. Seems that it also fits Peterbilt or Mack or something like that. If you order the truck part it costs $50. But if you can find it for the Patriot it's only $15 or $20.
As many have said, still seems like an awful lot for some folded paper!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Chrysler doesn't include an A/C filter unless you get the FDII package. it's the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard...ALL vehicles these days come with an A/C filter. heck, even my 2003 honda civic came with an A/C filter. out of all of the things they could cut costs on, eliminating the A/C filter shouldn't be one of them. oh well.

yeah, $30 is after the 50% coupon? that's highway robbery. just go online to any autoparts store and you will be able to buy one for $15-$25. throw in an engine air filter too, then you usually qualify for free shipping. much better deal than taking it to a dealer/auto-shop and having them charge you up the whazoo for labor!

just make sure you have an extension when you do the engine air filter...or else it will be a PAIN! :doh:

You mean there is no A/C filter on my Pat? I just got a 2009 North Edition. What does FDII stand for?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I remember someone sending me info that there is another filter located underneath the windshield wiper blades. Anybody else heard of that?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts