Jeep Patriot Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
6,467 Posts
I'm trying to change my fluid in a CVT tranny on my Pat. Everything I see online says there should be a tube on the driver side to check the oil level with an aftermarket dipstick. My Pat doesn't have that tube. According to what I have found in research a non CVT will have a plug under the battery box, however my VIN brings back that I do have CVT2 installed from the factory. I have found a tiny black plug closer to cab with a small hose leading under the radiator hoses however I don't think that's the tube I'm looking for.

The CVT fiill tube is located between the radiator and the engine on the drivers side. Unfortunately, sometimes this tube can break off.

Anyway, here's a pic of it (vertical metal tube with cap off and hose running into it):

and the tube cap looks like this:

·
Registered
5 Posts
The CVT fiill tube is located between the radiator and the engine on the drivers side. Unfortunately, sometimes this tube can break off.

Anyway, here's a pic of it (vertical metal tube with cap off and hose running into it):

and the tube cap looks like this:
I just looked up the equipment listing by VIN on the jeep site and in optional equipment it shows this,

6-Speed Automatic Transmission
AutoStick (R) Automatic Transmission
2.4L I4 DOHC 16V Dual VVT Engine

but when I do a VIN search it says that I have CVT.

·
Administrator
6,467 Posts
I just looked up the equipment listing by VIN on the jeep site and in optional equipment it shows this,

6-Speed Automatic Transmission
AutoStick (R) Automatic Transmission
2.4L I4 DOHC 16V Dual VVT Engine

but when I do a VIN search it says that I have CVT.
Sounds like you have the 6AT not the CVT.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would it also not have a dipstick or a quick way to check the level and refill? I'm getting kind of a "slip" when its trying to shift gears. I have always been under the impression I had CVT and it was simply trying to find the proper ratio.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can i change valve body cover plastic from broken Jeep cover to Hyundai cover? It look like twins but is change real?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
The fill plug for the 6 speed transaxle is located on the left top back side of the transmission [by the firewall] and the fill plug can be seen when looking down behind the motor on the drivers' side.Ya have to look over the top and down in back to see the plug.You'll need a 15/16 socket to remove it and a special tool [dip stick] to check the oil level with! The transmissions level should be 25MM when the transmissions oil temp is approximately 115-120*F.And the oil; and filter change interval is at 100,000 miles.[per the shop manual]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just watched the video. Holy cow. i think I'll cheat and measure how much I drain out. At least it will be close enough and the old gunk will be swapped out. Changing a simple fluid shouldn't consist of a temp regulated yoga maneuver requiring double joints.
Yes. I was thinking the same thing. It only makes sense unless the fluid was low to begin with? I'm about the do this procedure myself. It does seem very simple aside from the yoga maneuvers to get to the check port, but I want to make sure that I have everything in order before I attempt it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Five years ago,when I first bought wifeys' 2015 Patriot brandy new,which came with the 2.4 L motor and the 6 SPD Auto Stick Trans Axle,and like every vehicle I buy new or used,I ALWAYS do an inservice inspection on the vehicle to check it over and and correct anything I find wrong, especially if it's bought brandy new from a dealership..
Anyways,when I did mine,everything was good,except I could not check the transmissions' oil level because I needed that special dip stick,which I bought,but had to wait several days to get. Then I was able to check the transmission oil level.Well guess what??? It only took THREE QUARTS to bring it up to spec,meaning,the dealership NEVER CHECKED IT. So what does that tell ya??? No wonder so many people are having transmission problems!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
IMPORTANT FINAL UPDATES TO PATRIOT 6 SPEED FLUID CHANGE:

I added a few edits above since this information was first posted:
  • link to a less expensive aftermarket dip stick: Product not found!
  • link to a You Tube video just for the Patriot www.youtube.com/watch?v=21irJQJkXj0
  • warnings to verify using the hyundai method of fluid level checking (front port vs. dipstick). The front port/transmission angle maybe is mounted different on the Patriot vs. Hyundai. See ALLPAR link below.

The Patriot service manual gives a dipstick only method of determining fluid level while Hyundai recommends using the front port plug method to check fluid level.

This is an FCA TSB outlining the second way (front port plug) https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/MC-10144906-9999.pdf

NOTE: This following Allpar forum thread describes the new TSB method: It states that our transmission is mounted at a different angle than on Hyundai vehicles. Therefore, after the fluid dribbles out of the front port, you then close the port and add an additional 24 oz. to reach the correct level. The ALLpar thread confirmed that both methods result in the same level, checked with a dipstick at the correct temperature.

2016 Jeep Patriot 6 speed automatic - fluid
I hope this will help you, I used to have a 2010 Jeep Patriot 2.4L CVT auto transmission, I will list below the part number O Riley said there are two dipsticks, the one was just just a cable with a little ball on the end and no places check oil level for whatever temp. you have and did not have the other but the other store in town had so I went there, they had the dipstick that was described in youtube, it had all the marks for whatever engine/transmission tempt you have. the problem is that the dipstick goes all the to the bottom, so you don't know if you're checking it right.
WHATEVER YOU DO CHECK YOUR DIPSTICK AT THE STORE
O Riley part number DOR 917-327,
I have also been told that it might be posable to use the dipstick from your engine.
Also, you need to know if your transmission is still covered under a factory. if you bought your jeep second hand and not from a dealer you have no warranty. if you do have a warranty, you must keep up maintenance done by the dealer, do your services as recorded in your owners manual, O and by the way, a new CVT transmission cost $ 8,000
but my dealer could have got for just under $6,000. May 12th, 2020

·
Registered
1 Posts
IMPORTANT FINAL UPDATES TO PATRIOT 6 SPEED FLUID CHANGE:

I added a few edits above since this information was first posted:
  • link to a less expensive aftermarket dip stick: Product not found!
  • link to a You Tube video just for the Patriot www.youtube.com/watch?v=21irJQJkXj0
  • warnings to verify using the hyundai method of fluid level checking (front port vs. dipstick). The front port/transmission angle maybe is mounted different on the Patriot vs. Hyundai. See ALLPAR link below.

The Patriot service manual gives a dipstick only method of determining fluid level while Hyundai recommends using the front port plug method to check fluid level.

This is an FCA TSB outlining the second way (front port plug) https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/MC-10144906-9999.pdf

NOTE: This following Allpar forum thread describes the new TSB method: It states that our transmission is mounted at a different angle than on Hyundai vehicles. Therefore, after the fluid dribbles out of the front port, you then close the port and add an additional 24 oz. to reach the correct level. The ALLpar thread confirmed that both methods result in the same level, checked with a dipstick at the correct temperature.

2016 Jeep Patriot 6 speed automatic - fluid
So checking the level with a dipstick is no longer in play, is this correct.

·
Registered
36 Posts
6F24 six speed auto stick --2015 Patriot-- Fluid Change Info

Does anyone know what the trans oil capacity is for this transmission???Thank you!! Dave!!!
First I must ask where did you buy it? Is there any possibility that it could still be under? Till you have answered this question, don't touch that transmission. If you're not sure, ask a dealer? If it is still under warranty, the dealer must change the oil
# 2 does your 2015 Jeep Patriot. Have a dipstick because the one I have doesn't, so even if you do change your trans. Fluid, how will you know when it's full. You're talking about $8,000 or more for the transmission, and you won't find anyone to work on them. How many miles is on it? If you change the oil your self you won't be able get rid of the oil that still up in the transmission and what in the torque converter. are there any problems with the transmission know?
On my 2010 Jeep Patriot, I was having trouble with it slipping real bad, dealer checked it and said that the pressure was low they said I had a choice. As for which oil I will need to find my owner manual

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot Sport FDI
73 Posts
So checking the level with a dipstick is no longer in play, is this correct.
I didn't use the dipstick. I bought two clear measuring buckets that went by 16oz. I drained the transmission as much as it would drain and measured out the exact amount in the other bucket with fresh fluid. I did this two times to get a better flush with about a week between each flush. It runs perfectly fine, no slippage, no codes, etc. It was the first flush I did so it came with the OE factory fluid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
jajajaja thanks man.

now, what fluid did you use? the mopar is too expensive, which one whorks for you? or for someone that want to help in the question...
You can also use Aisin P/N ATF-SP4. It's specifically engineered for the 6F24 transmission. Also less expensive than some of the other ones that are out there.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts