Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it says to use 5w-20 oil in the manual but where i live the temp doesnt drop below 5C (41F).... so i dont think i need the viscosity to be 5w? and i've read on here that people have used 5w-30... can anybody verify that it will be ok to use 10w-30 for me? please? it doesnt have to be official and will calm my nerves... the bloody 5w-30 is twice the price as the 10w-30!

help will be appreciated

·
Registered
234 Posts
i ran ACDelco´s 10w30 for about 7000km´s.. it fell good... i switched to mobil1 5w30 and a K&N oil filter last month and the pat feels great!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
This should help a bit. 5w-30 and 10w-30 have virtually the same operating temp range. The difference is on the "cold" side where the 5w-30 is a bit better in that respect.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Keep in mind "5w" is only at start up. After warm up 5w-30, 10w-30 and 5w-20 are all the same weight.

We have confirmation from Chrysler 5w-30 is OK to use and some debate it is in fact better than 5w-20. This is not the case for 10w-30. IMHO I would not feel comfortable using 10w-30.

I know it says to use 5w-20 oil in the manual but where i live the temp doesnt drop below 5C (41F).... so i dont think i need the viscosity to be 5w? and i've read on here that people have used 5w-30... can anybody verify that it will be ok to use 10w-30 for me? please? it doesnt have to be official and will calm my nerves... the bloody 5w-30 is twice the price as the 10w-30!

help will be appreciated

·
Registered
157 Posts
Since almost all of your engine wear occurs at start up when there is no oil pressure, why not just use 0W-30 ? You want the oil to pump as fast as possible on start up. 0W-30 will give you a wider range of protection. Those oil charts are mainly for older cars built with really bad engine tolerances that could not handle a thin oil. Thin oils are mostly though of for just cold climates, but keep in mind a thin oil will get to where it needs to be faster than a thicker oil at any temperature.

I use 0 weight oils year round on all my vehicles. 0W-30 for non turbo and 0W-40 for turbo vehicles... No reason to make the protection range smaller.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I think the chart shows oil temperature range usefulness. I do agree with you on the engine considerations but that, I believe, is not contemplated in the chart. It might be older though as you state. 5w-20 (or lower) is not taken into consideration.

EDIT: Here's a newer chart... I believe it is showing the oils OPTIMUM performance temp range.

Temp converter HERE.

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
Will using a different weight void the lifetime warranty? I am sure this has been answered a million times...

I just put Lucas Oil 5W-30 in the van a few minutes ago. Impala is using 20W-50!!! :D

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Will using a different weight void the lifetime warranty? I am sure this has been answered a million times...

I just put Lucas Oil 5W-30 in the van a few minutes ago. Impala is using 20W-50!!! :D
I know there are lots of opinions on here, I will say that 0w20 Mobil 1 says it will not void manufacturer warranties for vehicles that are recommended to run 5w20. Take that for what it is worth.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
If it does or not... can't say. All I know is this. 5w-20 and 5w-30 are ok. All others... who will tell Chrysler what weight it is???

·
Registered
927 Posts
The whole idea of 5W30 protecting better than 5W20 is wrong.
Most 5W30's will shear to 20 weight anyway fairly quickly.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
The whole idea of 5W30 protecting better than 5W20 is wrong.
Most 5W30's will shear to 20 weight anyway fairly quickly.
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=518

Temperature has a big effect on viscosity and film thickness. As a point of reference, one SAE grade increase in viscosity is necessary to overcome the influence of a 20°F increase in engine temperature. At a given reference point, there is approximately a 20°F. difference between viscosity grades SAE 30, 40 and 50. SAE 20 is somewhat closer to 30 than the other jumps, because SAE 30 must be 30°F higher than SAE 20 to be roughly the equivalent viscosity.

In other words, an SAE 20 at 190°F is about the same kinematic viscosity as an SAE 30 at 220°F, which is about the same viscosity as an SAE 40 at 240°F. This approximation works well in the 190°F to 260°F temperature range. One might be surprised at the slight amount of difference between straight viscosity vs. multiviscosity oils with the same back number (for example, SAE 30, SAE 5W-30, and SAE 10W-30).

If an SAE 50 oil at 260°F is as thin as an SAE 20 oil at 190°F, imagine how thin the oil film becomes when you are using an SAE 5W-20 and your engine overheats. When an engine overheats, the oil film becomes dangerously thin and can rupture.
Might explain why Jeep recommends using an oil cooler for towing above 1000lbs!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got my oil changed at the dealer yesterday (Freebies) and when i got home and checked the paper they gave me, they had put 10w30 in it. Is this ok? Its starting to get down around 20 or so now around here. jeep seems to start fine.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Of course it is okay, ASE certified car care professionals did the work.

Does the paperwork indicate how much oil was put in the sump?

Did you check the oil level after returning home.

I change my own - 5qts of 0W-30 M1

This thread is very old.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
When I changed the oil in my PAT the first time, I put in 4.5 quarts. It did not register full on the dip stick. I input the rest of the 5 quart jug over a few days and it went to full on the dipstick.

The OM states 4.5 quarts, the GEMA website stated 5.0 quarts, so does the ALLPAR site. I guess the dipstick is the real measure.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
I put in about 4 and a half quarts last time, and a month later the dipstick registered a quart low. I had been doing some long distance towing, and I change my oil on ramps (so its inclined).. I'll pay more attention next time, but I suspect it wants a full 5 quart jug with the oil cooler

·
2012 POTY
6,154 Posts
Two oil changes I have done so far I've put an entire 5qt jug and the oil level has been just a tick below full mark. I tried 4.5 at first but it was not enough as the oil filled the oil filter the level has dropped.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
I got my oil changed at the dealer yesterday (Freebies) and when i got home and checked the paper they gave me, they had put 10w30 in it. Is this ok? Its starting to get down around 20 or so now around here. jeep seems to start fine.
It's likely the service writer is an idiot and just wrote 10w30 because he/she writes it all the time. The oil fill cap clearly states (in high-visibility yellow lettering...) that 5w20 is to be used. If the tech STILL dumped 10w30 in there, 5 days before the start of winter, then I would be considering getting my Jeep serviced elsewhere. At any rate, I would call and talk to the service manager. Mechanically it's not going to hurt anything except MAYBE a mile or so mpg.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I've used 0W20 in the winter, and I've used 10W30 in the summer, with no issues on my 4.5 year old Patriot. Now I'm back to 5W20 - got a really good price on Mobil1

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
It's likely the service writer is an idiot and just wrote 10w30 because he/she writes it all the time.
Such a blasphemous act... calling the service writer a complacent idiot.

Service writers and LOF guys are professionals and as such are a direct representation of their dealership.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts