Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So I’m planning to install some fog lights this spring as driving in heavy snow this past winter and heavy rain has not been fun since my Pat doesn’t come with fog lights. I’m thinking of getting either 55w or 100w ones but I’m a little worried that the 100w ones might draw too much power (I do drive a manual so there’s the fear of stalling if the alternator and engine are working too hard lol) or that they might be illegally too bright. However I do like that they’re supposed to be a lot brighter than the 55w ones and can penetrate through snow, fog and heavy rain here in the Canadian wilderness. Any input would be appreciated!
Cheers,
Taylor

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot, North Ed.
220 Posts
Hey guys,
So I’m planning to install some fog lights this spring as driving in heavy snow this past winter and heavy rain has not been fun since my Pat doesn’t come with fog lights. I’m thinking of getting either 55w or 100w ones but I’m a little worried that the 100w ones might draw too much power (I do drive a manual so there’s the fear of stalling if the alternator and engine are working too hard lol) or that they might be illegally too bright. However I do like that they’re supposed to be a lot brighter than the 55w ones and can penetrate through snow, fog and heavy rain here in the Canadian wilderness. Any input would be appreciated!
Cheers,
Taylor
The brighter the lights the more reflection you're going to get. The idea of fog lights isn't to be bright as this will hinder visibility. They are supposed to be bright enough to illuminate the road and the road markings stand out, while not being overly bright to a point of reducing visibility. Don't go LED, and just stick with the manufacturer's recommended specs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it. I don’t really know what the manufacturer lights’ rating is supposed to be because I don’t even have fog lights on my Patriot from the factory. I’m just planning to get some KC Foglights and mount them on the bumper.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Either wattage or halogen/LED will work fine but for rain/snow/fog you want yellow lights and mount them closer to the ground.

·
Registered
8 Posts
my fiancé went to the junk yard and pulled a set of fog lights off another patriot, along with the wiring for my pat. Cheaper, and since they are oem they don’t hurt anything :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts