Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2014 Jeep Patriot had first 5 speed manual transmission failure at 17K miles.
Ratcheting noise, scarred shafts and gears, damaged synchro's, warped case.

Dealer replaced it with brand new transmission assembly which failed again at just under 32K miles, pitted bearings.

After careful look at all documentation and consulting with service advisor, I am editing this post to reflect just pure facts, I got what I paid for.

None of the rhetoric on here can change that, Jeep is what it is, my cost is most likely in line with product value, so why argue with it.

In coming months this jewel will be traded in for something more reliable.

·
8,307 Posts
You've got a problem, and its not you. Something is wrong with that gearbox. Insist on a new, really new, one.

Like you, I've driven plenty of manual transmissions, a '52 Chevy flatbed, '60 Ford Falcon 3-on-the-tree, a '77 Volare with a 3-spd on the floor, a '88 Wrangler with a 5-spd, a '94 Wrangler with a 5-spd. a '04 Wrangler with a 5-spd, and a '93 Cherokee with a 5-spd. Presently Wifey has a '12 Wrangler with a 6-spd. Throw in a few more here & there, but those are the ones I've owned. Manuals are usually trouble-free.

The only problems were:
'60 Ford Falcon -- Falcons were notorious for awful clutches
'93 Cherokee -- shifted hard and kept leaking hydraulic fluid from the clutch (Like you, my dealer suggested I didn't know how to drive a manual).

The '12 Wrangler 6-spd is silly, to be perfectly frank. Five is plenty; usually I use 1,3,5 or 2,4,6. Too much clutching with the 6-spd.

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
Man, I am sorry to hear you have been having these issues.... I've been on this forum for over 2 years and have seen very few issues with the 5 speed. it seems like you really did get a lemon in the first (and second) instance. Hopefully they fix it for good. If it goes out again, do you have the option of going to another dealer? I know around me I have 5 or 6 dealers all in a reasonable distance (less than 15 miles) so if one doesn't work out you can take it to another, and all dealers cover all warranty work. I would also send a PM to jeepcares on this site, if you have a case number give it to him, and make sure that he follows up on the situation.

·
Not Sponsored
6,879 Posts
Oh, what a surprise,... "JeepCares" doesn't care.
It's also a weekend, would you want to be working on your day off? Neither does Jeepcares. Give it a few days, he has to consult other people as well. He just can't tell you he's going to hand you a brand new jeep for your troubles.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,559 Posts
I've heard maybe two or three other horror stories about the five-spd, and I've heard maybe five or six good reports. My theory is that Chrysler was so busy trying to find the right CVT(which they pretty much did) that they didn't bother to make sure they had the best example of proven technology like a manual transmission. I've never had problems with my CVT besides the expected CVT lag. It's a roll-on setup anyways, and Chrysler didn't program it to be quite as quick as it should be. That being said, it lasts quite awhile, does what it's supposed to do, isn't the quietest item but Jeeps aren't supposed to be quiet anyways, they're not Buicks or Cadillacs.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Vic, you have every right to be very upset. Try hard to keep your wits and approach your problem with tact and professionalism.

I have successfully made it through a Lemon Law procedure to have the vehicle bought back by the mfg.. In Michigan, you first meet with (and lose) an "unbiased" arbitration panel. Then you have to hire a lemon lawyer (pro bono) to crush the mfg., if you have a strong case.

-STUDY YOUR STATE'S LEMON LAW
-FOLLOW IT TO A TEE. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. CROSS ALL T'S AND DOT ALL I'S.
-BE PATIENT AND YOU WILL WIN, BUT IT WILL BE BRUTAL. LEARN ASSERTIVE DIPLOMACY. BEING HOT HEADED WILL WORK AGAINST YOU.

While it's no comfort, there are similar tales with all mfg.. Some people get lucky with a dealer that goes to bat for you. Many others get screwed just like you:

-Subaru engine oil consumption.....pending class action
-Ford....multiple....broken/ejected spark plugs, cracking radio bezels, etc..
-Honda.....variable cylinder management....class action enacted

The list goes on and on and people have similar horror stories about mfg. not caring. Now there is a big investigation of the miilions of the defective Tanaka air bags and the delayed action to correct them.

PM me if you want more lemon law advice. Again, sorry for your experiences.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,559 Posts
At least see if the new tranny gets you more than 20k miles more. If so, then maybe look into going lightly offroad with some guys that have a trailer available. Then see where life takes you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I edited post I started with to reflect only the fact that my Jeep had problems with 5 speed manual transmission.

Things sad here don't change any of the events and so elaborate debates don't do any good, I don't care much for finding this stuff in Google searches 10 years from now.

I picked up my Jeep from dealer this morning, all dressed up, washed and running like new, they even replaced cracked plastic panel on left side of the driver's seat.

I wish I had more confidence in keeping it but my experience is too raw and out of line for that to be possible, looking into trading it in for a car or compact pickup truck.

These forums can grow into novels and I just don't care for it, best to delete the whole thing, but I can't do that.

Thanks for good advice but I think I should just let this go and find what works best for me while Jeep is in its best shape.

·
8,307 Posts
I edited post I started with to reflect only the fact that my Jeep had problems with 5 speed manual transmission.

Things sad here don't change any of the events and so elaborate debates don't do any good, I don't care much for finding this stuff in Google searches 10 years from now.

I picked up my Jeep from dealer this morning, all dressed up, washed and running like new, they even replaced cracked plastic panel on left side of the driver's seat.

I wish I had more confidence in keeping it but my experience is too raw and out of line for that to be possible, looking into trading it in for a car or compact pickup truck.

These forums can grow into novels and I just don't care for it, best to delete the whole thing, but I can't do that.

Thanks for good advice but I think I should just let this go and find what works best for me while Jeep is in its best shape.
First off, sorry if this thread has gotten out of control. This is a forum and we like to chat about our Patriots.

On the bright side, at least it looks like your dealer is trying to take care of you, even doing some extra stuff. Find a way to say thanks. When my CVT died my dealer gave me a car to use (not required under warranty) so Wifey baked a cake for them to share. Yeah, it was an inconvenience to have the tranny break, but they did their best to take care of me and I appreciated it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
36,300 miles my 2012 Patriot's 5 speed tranny started to cry. Literally. Brought to dealership and found out it needs a total rebuild. I do mostly highway driving and am a pretty forgiving stick shift driver. While my "bumper to bumper" warranty has expired (300 miles ago), dealer was quick to find that the powertrain/tranny warranty was still in effect. Whew!! I'm on the hook for a rental car for the next week while they rebuild but at least not looking at 3-4 grand in relatively new car repair cost. Love the Jeep. Not thrilled with the fact the transmission failed.

Steve

·
Registered
53 Posts
5 speed tranny problem

HI, I got my jeep thursday after 10 days at the dealer for a complete rebuild of the transmission. The transmission was making noise all the time except when the clutch was engaged , It has only 37 500 km. It costed me anything since it's under warranty, but it's not reassuring for the future. It was maybe my fault because I checked the oil level for the first time about 30 000 km and missing 0.7L . From now on, I will ride with little more oil in the tranny, maybe 0.5L more of the specs. Hoping not to have any problem in the future.

P.S. The dealer lent me a Dodge Dart '13, so I was not too complain!

·
Registered
833 Posts
When I traded in our 2008 FD1 Patriot with the 5 speed MT it had almost 1/4 million km on it and the engine and tranny were in great shape.

·
8,307 Posts
HI, I got my jeep thursday after 10 days at the dealer for a complete rebuild of the transmission. The transmission was making noise all the time except when the clutch was engaged , It has only 37 500 km. It costed me anything since it's under warranty, but it's not reassuring for the future. It was maybe my fault because I checked the oil level for the first time about 30 000 km and missing 0.7L . From now on, I will ride with little more oil in the tranny, maybe 0.5L more of the specs. Hoping not to have any problem in the future.

P.S. The dealer lent me a Dodge Dart '13, so I was not too complain!
If the shop did good work, you should be all set for the duration. I had a '93 Olds that had a whining transmission when I bought it new. The dealer took it right in and either rebuilt or replaced the transmission, and it went 140,000 miles without any problems other than typical maintenance. That's what warranties are for.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had a 2008 Jeep Patriot 5 sp. manual until I sold it it '14 for a manual 2014 Patriot, which I currently drive. Never any tranny, linkage or clutch problems with either.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just dropped mine off yesterday for a rebuild, been having trouble getting it into 3rd and 4th for a while and it just recently started popping out of gear while accelerating... waiting for the final report once they tear it all apart to see what was exactly causing it. Glad I purchased the warrantee when I got it, only had it 6 months. 09 4x4 with 126000 miles

·
Registered
199 Posts

Man that sucks. I know nothing anyone says will change your mind, there are many people who get a raw deal with a certain make/model and that's it, end of story, never purchasing another jeep. My dad was one of them. I had a Cherokee before my patriot and never had any failures that weren't overuse related (waterpump/thermostat, tires, brakes, etc.). And he cursed me up and down for even looking at a Jeep. I have had my patriot since June 2011 with the 5 speed manual and now have almost 65,000 miles. No engine or tranny issues. I did have some sway bar links go bad early (25,000 miles maybe) that were covered by the warranty. Some might say the lower control arms should have lasted longer than 58,000 miles but i didn't think it was too bad. In the end, got to do whats best for you.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The Magna/new venture gear t355 have been used in one form or another since the early 90's. Ton's of manufacturers used versions of the T350 of which the T355 we use is basically a beefed up version of. Neon guys have gone half a million miles on the original trans and original clutch. The SRT4 neon transmission is very similar to ours. My old 98 neon had 140k on the original trans and clutch when I sold it. I still see it driving around once in a while.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bought my 2010 new, and with less than 110k on it, the tranny is trashed. I have driven nothing but manual since 1987, and I have gotten 200k up to 307k miles and never lost a tranny. And of course, it out of any type of warrantee that I ever had, so to get it fixed will be big bucks.

I am really disappointed in Jeep. Pretty sad that I had to go buy a 2003, Exploder with 130k miles on it so I could get to work and back and the 2010 Jeep, with 108k miles is sitting in the yard holding down leaves. The least amount of miles and years that I have ever gotten out of a vehicle.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts