Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Below is a quick guide on how to change the transaxle fluid on the Jeep Patriot 5 Speed Manual Transmission:

NOTE: All T355 Manual Transaxles require the use of ATF+4 MS-9602(Automatic Transmission Fluid), Mopar Part #05013457AA.

The transaxle fill plug (1) is located on the left side of the transaxle differential area. The fluid level should be within 3/16 inch from the bottom of the transaxle fill hole (vehicle must be level when checking).

The transaxle drain plug (2) is located on the lower right side of the transaxle differential housing. Tighten drain plug to 14 N·m (120 in. lbs.).

Below are some additional tips:

• Remove the air filter box completely. (both halves) This is done by removing the air filter hoses, then removing both sides of the housing by gently pulling it up off the rubber mounts. It presses on similar to the plastic engine cover.
  • Do not fill the Manual Transmission via the top rubber plug! Although it can probably be used if you fully drain, then fill with exactly 2665 ml I would not recommend that. Use the side plug and fill as described above.
  • You will likely have to remove the plastic splash shield to gain access to the drain plug and fill hole.

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
I would like to know who has actually done this with out a hoist. (and how it went)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts

If you removed both the "yes" and "no" plugs, could you fill it up from the "no" until it basically pours out the "yes"? :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Temps in Mich finally got above 60 degrees today, so I had an opportunity to crawl underneath my Pat for a trans fluid change.

Vehicle is new (Nov '08) with just less than 1,200 miles, but was experiencing rough shifts, particularly when cold, and a grind going into 2nd gear.

Thanks Homac - Your directions were perfect. :smiley_thumbs_up:

After a lot of internet research, I put in Redline C+ synthetic oil rather than Mopar +4.

After the first drive with the new fluid, the shifts were definitely crisper, but I'm sure there's some pychological / placebo effect or new fluid influence occuring.

I'll report back if there's a change after I've driven it for a while and had some cold weather experience.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So glad I could help !

Temps in Mich finally got above 60 degrees today, so I had an opportunity to crawl underneath my Pat for a trans fluid change.

Vehicle is new (Nov '08) with just less than 1,200 miles, but was experiencing rough shifts, particularly when cold, and a grind going into 2nd gear.

After a lot of internet research, I put in Redline C+ synthetic oil rather than Mopar +4.

After the first drive with the new fluid, the shifts were definitely crisper, but I'm sure there's some pychological / placebo effect or new fluid influence occuring.

I'll report back if there's a change after I've driven it for a while and had some cold weather experience.

·
Registered
157 Posts

Can you post a link to where you got the Redline fluid?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Can you post a link to where you got the Redline fluid?
omniphil - Just looked at e-bay and bought it at the lowest price.
However, I've heard good things abouit Royal Purple Synchromax, and am going to try that over the next month or so. Got that at Amazon.

Lot of discussion against using ATF+4 in a manual tranny:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1593413#Post1593413

Anyone recall what size hex wrench is used on the drain plug of the manual trans?

·
Registered
397 Posts
any follow ups for you guys who are using synthetic tranny fluid? If you are running the synthetic tranny fluid, are you also using full synthetic motor oil as well? should be a slight improvement with resistence and mileage....

·
Registered
157 Posts
The Mopar ATF +4 that is used in pretty much all Chrysler vehicles now is already a fully synthetic fluid and is pretty darn good too...

any follow ups for you guys who are using synthetic tranny fluid? If you are running the synthetic tranny fluid, are you also using full synthetic motor oil as well? should be a slight improvement with resistence and mileage....

·
Registered
60 Posts
omniphil - Just looked at e-bay and bought it at the lowest price.
However, I've heard good things abouit Royal Purple Synchromax, and am going to try that over the next month or so. Got that at Amazon.

Lot of discussion against using ATF+4 in a manual tranny:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1593413#Post1593413

Anyone recall what size hex wrench is used on the drain plug of the manual trans?
Just changed to Royal Purple Synchromax, was skeptical, but can report smoother shifting after 50 miles of use.
The drain plug hex is #8.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Good write-up but, WHY are we changing manual trans fluid on vehicles 1-2-3 years old? Maybe the placebo effect? For me that's one more reason why I buy manual transmissions, less maintenance.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Good write-up but, WHY are we changing manual trans fluid on vehicles 1-2-3 years old? Maybe the placebo effect? For me that's one more reason why I buy manual transmissions, less maintenance.
MINICooperS - Trying to improve the shift quality. To me, the poor shifing is the weakest feature on the vehicle.

steel5blue - Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try and report back.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just changed to Royal Purple Synchromax, was skeptical, but can report smoother shifting after 50 miles of use.
The drain plug hex is #8.
Tried the Royal Purple and it really improved the quality of the shift, particularly the balkiness in between gears that must have been due to the thinner ATF. Interestingly, as others have posted, my tranny also took 3.5 quarts of fluid before it ran out of the overfill hole.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts