Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching high and low on this forum and haven’t found a solution. So before I get the patriot up on a lift and start searching into the great unknown if figure I’d pick your brains. Has anyone had he same issue and figured out the fix? I have tried many different ways to engage 4x4 to test it with no success. I currently have no check engine or fault lights. My model is a 2009 limited with manual transmission. I did see the 4x4 light once when I was rolling back in the driveway once so I am sure is not just the bulb. Also from what I can tell all fuses and relays are good. Trust me I have repaired a lot of things since I purchased the Patriot and fuses and relays were included. I figured once I got my tpms sensor light off by replacing one then the 4x4 would engage, but no luck.

·
Administrator
8,545 Posts
One way to tell whether the 4x4 is working or not is put it on jack stands, start it, put it in gear, see if the drive shaft to the rear wheels is spinning (it should be), then pull the 4x4 lock lever on the console and see if the rear wheels engage.

·
Administrator
8,545 Posts
It's ok, no offense taken.

If you want, you could try putting it on jackstands and without the engine running, spinning the wheels by hand, and pulling the lock lever.

If the ECC (electronically controlled clutch) never engages it could be stuck/bad or the control circuit isn't working (bad conection, etc.)

If you want you can download a set of 2016 shop manuals from the link below.
There's a complete section on the AWD system in there titled "2014 DRIVELINEAXLES All Wheel Drive (AWD) Module - Electrical Diagnostics - Compass & Patriot".

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been searching high and low on this forum and haven’t found a solution. So before I get the patriot up on a lift and start searching into the great unknown if figure I’d pick your brains. Has anyone had he same issue and figured out the fix? I have tried many different ways to engage 4x4 to test it with no success. I currently have no check engine or fault lights. My model is a 2009 limited with manual transmission. I did see the 4x4 light once when I was rolling back in the driveway once so I am sure is not just the bulb. Also from what I can tell all fuses and relays are good. Trust me I have repaired a lot of things since I purchased the Patriot and fuses and relays were included. I figured once I got my tpms sensor light off by replacing one then the 4x4 would engage, but no luck.
Did you ever solve the issue, I've got pretty much the same thing!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Did you ever solve the issue, I've got pretty much the same thing!
Sorry for late response I haven’t been on the forum for a while, but I have returned. I just replaced the switch and still no luck. I have got rid of all my codes on my dash to include a TPS and the intake manifold stuck codes. The light for 4WD isn’t burnt out on the dash. I did check all fuses with a multimeter and they were all good. I have been looking for videos without luck on the YouTube’s for this issue. Next I guess I need to figure out where the ECC sensor is in the differential; if they have one on a manual anyways. One more thing which I’m sure is connected is I can not turn off ESP. And probably the last issue I have which I doubt is connected is cruise control doesn’t work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So still haven’t figured this issue out. I replaced the 4WD switch, tested the TIPM, and looked for bad wires. I have Voltage at the fuse and the 4WD dash light comes on when I turn on the ignition. I am not sure if it is related but my cruise control doesn’t work, and I have replaced the switch on the steering column. Also I can not turn off traction control or ESP. I will probably replace the traction control switch module next. Anyone have any Insight to a similar issue?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Must be wheel sensor week because I know that stopped my 4x4 from engaging. Have you checked those?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Wheel speed. It was a while ago but I believe that I had codes. Don’t recall because it was fixed under warranty, so it was a long time ago.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How did you make out? I have a 2009 automatic with more problems than you can shake a stick at, including this one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So still haven’t figured this issue out. I replaced the 4WD switch, tested the TIPM, and looked for bad wires. I have Voltage at the fuse and the 4WD dash light comes on when I turn on the ignition. I am not sure if it is related but my cruise control doesn’t work, and I have replaced the switch on the steering column. Also I can not turn off traction control or ESP. I will probably replace the traction control switch module next. Anyone have any Insight to a similar issue?
Hi there! My 4wd light is on as well and won't turn on and my cruise control won't turn on at all. So I'm starting to think theybare related if you have the same problem.... 🤔

1 - 20 of 22 Posts