Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, long story short, I managed to pour several ounces of coffee onto the 4x4 t handle and the 4wd! light came on (on the dash). It feels like the 4wd is constantly engaged and the 4x4 is slow to engage/disengage when you pull the handle.

He 4WD! has gone off the dash at this time. I did pull the 15 amp blue fuse for the AWD/4x4 ecu function and it did come back on. I replaced it and it went away.

The steering feels heavier like when its in 4x4 mode and definitely feels like its in 4x4 when you back up.

Quick question, is the patriot FWD? AWD? The reason I'm asking is that I noticed that the front tires were spinning in gravel. I have only ever noticed this during 4x4 operations only.

I drive several hundred miles a week and in the hot Texas heat, do not want the vehicle stuck in 4x4.

Is it broke? what is broke and is it an easy fix? Maybe I'm paranoid!

·
Super Moderator
3,873 Posts
Patriots are built as either FWD only or AWD (4x4).

For the AWD/4x4, it's front wheel drive until the front wheels slip (then computer engages the rear wheels) or the 4x4 lever is pulled.

If you're not getting any error lights or codes then hard to say if anything is broke or not.

If there's moisture inside the 4x4 switch it may be causing intermittent problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone happen to know what sensor or electrical part that is located under the 4x4 T-handle where I poured my coffee? I think I have shorted that part out. It takes 4-5 pulls on the handle to engage the 4x4 and I have never had this issue before caffeinating the handle.

If someone has either a art number or diagram of what is under there, I'd be very thankful for the help.

·
Super Moderator
3,873 Posts
Does anyone happen to know what sensor or electrical part that is located under the 4x4 T-handle where I poured my coffee? I think I have shorted that part out. It takes 4-5 pulls on the handle to engage the 4x4 and I have never had this issue before caffeinating the handle.

If someone has either a art number or diagram of what is under there, I'd be very thankful for the help.
Transfer case switch, item #2, part number 05107932AA

https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=1012751&ukey_make=1097&ukey_model=15959&modelYear=2012&ukey_category=22693&ukey_driveLine=13217&ukey_trimLevel=20101

·
Registered
1 Posts
4x4 switch in cupholder

My off road rated 4x4 2011 latitude Patriot, with the low gear selection had a similar issue. In warranty, the dealer had it for a week tearing into everything. In my case the 4x4 light would only go on part time when engaging the switch which is in that stupid position in a cup holder. It is my understanding, at least on mine that it is full front WD until I lift the 4x4 lever. Have not jacked it up to give it a real test though. Anyway, dealer said the switch was rendered problematic by something spilled in there, though it looked perfectly clean. At least they paid for their learning curve. had to get on the phone with Chrysler in Michigan when they started to give up! They claim one of the top techs there had to guide the locals inch by inch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts