Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i've got an interesting and crappy problem on my hand, my 4x4 likes to work when it wants to now, figures as I'm out of warranty (just ~3000kms)

Background:

I was out offroading about a week ago going through deep'ish snow (1-2feet) and up some really icy snowy hills, I was really giving the Pat a workout and it performed great. I went to fill up with gas and upon starting up the ESP/BAS !4WD lights all came on.

According to the manual when the !4WD light is on 4x4 performance is at a "reduced" level, if the light is flashing it is disabled due to overheating. In my case the light was steady on, and I was completely in FWD mode, this was odd as before i've had the light come on (Something was wedged in the T-Handle and causing it to be stuck, but even with the light on I still had AWD) Anyways I drove around for a bit, all 3 lights on nothing changed other than being on FWD and having no ESP, The ABS still worked.

I went home parked my Pat and came out a few hours later, none of the 3 lights were on anymore except the check engine light came on stayed on for a few minutes and then went out. I scanned for codes with my Scanguage and got the following:

U0114 - Lost Communication With Four-Wheel Drive Clutch Control Module

P0700 – Transmission Control System Malfunction

I cleared the codes, and the P0700 one has never come back, the U0114 keeps coming back all the time.

Now here is the weird part, other than the 4x4 not working when the light comes on, i'm not experiencing any other problems tranny related or anything, but the problem gets worse.

After the initial problem my Pat was fine for about 2 weeks and then it started acting up again. I can hear an audible "click" followed by a chime and the !4WD light comes on, then i'm back to FWD. The click i'm hearing is like an relay opening or closing, and its coming from under the dash probably around the OBDII port or so.

This problem happens multiple times at random with the light going on and off many times as i'm driving, then other times everything works as normal.

Anyone else had anything like this happen, and would the 4x4 system clutch be covered under the powertrain warranty as i'm out of the comprehensive warranty coverage.

Videos:

This was taken while sitting stationary in my drive way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYnVzdAwPrs

Video taken while driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21E_OGfrxyE

I just took these videos, no idea what the hell is going on, it got really bad for about 15 mins with it cutting out on and off, then it would "go away" then later come back again. I'm willing to bet there is a short in the system or something along those lines,

Yeah if it turns out to be out of warranty and alot to fix i'm just going to sell/trade it in and get something else:doh:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I would imagine the powertrain warranty would cover it; it is technically part of the powertrain; maybe just neglect to tell them the rough ride it had before the problem came up.

I would wonder if a connector got knocked loose while you were going through the snow... I don't have the service manual handy but can you trace any wires going to the Power Transfer Unit to ensure they're all ok?

I'd say take it into the dealer; even if they refuse to cover it they'll probably let you know what the problem is.

·
Sept 2009 POTM
2,915 Posts
I hate to say it, but that's not gonna be cheap to fix.

It would be a powertrain item if you are still under that part of the warranty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd wait til the snow has gone if I were you, I have had a number of similar error lights on the wife's Fiat: TPS, power steering etc, and my patriot has had the alarm tripping for no reason day or night.

On removing the interior light, I found the underside of the roof panel soaking wet, dripping onto the interior intruder sensor. once disconnected it's been OK.

Previously I have had engine management lights and air bag lights. The resolution has always been the main dealer cleaning the connector s

see if you can let the jeep electrics dry out fot a weekend and see if the errors go away

good luck

Miff

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Posted the vids on youtube, not sure why I couldn't embed them like i've done before, either way they are up.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I had a very similar problem when our Patriot was about a year old. I phoned the dealer and they said to have it towed to their shop. They said it was the AWD controler that was acting up and they fixed it on warranty. They told me that it was not a very expensive part and that I could have driven it to the dealership. We now have 104k km on our Patriot and no further problems. I'm in Calgary.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I would bet on a loose connector somewhere in the drivetrain or a malfunction with the AWD controller per miketmx. I would also try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes to see if it could cause a master system reset.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yes, that happened in my 08 FDII Patriot as well. It is a bad wire. Reference my thread. It would not be that bad if that was all that happened. I didn't have use of my 4wd while it was broke. But it is all good now. Check it out Tyler. The wire runs under your seat (Driver) I believe. Good luck.

·
Sept 2009 POTM
2,915 Posts
That's what this site is all about. If it's just a loose wire connection, you guys just saved Tyler a whole lotta dough.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, that happened in my 08 FDII Patriot as well. It is a bad wire. Reference my thread. It would not be that bad if that was all that happened. I didn't have use of my 4wd while it was broke. But it is all good now. Check it out Tyler. The wire runs under your seat (Driver) I believe. Good luck.

I second this. The harness beneath the drivers side front carpet becomes corroded due to salty slush. My dealer relocated the wires/harness in question to prevent the problem in the future.

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of your input, i'll be taking the carpet out on the drivers side sometime this weekend if I get a chance, I did notice yesterday it was pretty wet down there, which could be a problem, although last winter it got wet as well without any problems. Oh well I guess i'll see what I find when I tear into it.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Thanks for all of your input, i'll be taking the carpet out on the drivers side sometime this weekend if I get a chance, I did notice yesterday it was pretty wet down there, which could be a problem, although last winter it got wet as well without any problems. Oh well I guess i'll see what I find when I tear into it.
Yeah, it sounds like an intermittent short or loose wire somewhere. The various sensors and the car's central computer are always "talking" to each other and making sure everything is operating OK. The upside is that this will save you big bucks if a problem is spotted and corrected before real damage is done. The downside is that the car gets paranoid when some of the messages quit coming through.

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So some not so good news I think.

Took the carpet out of the drivers side and dried it out completely, it was pretty wet/frozen, which doesn't bother me as it was the same last year and I never had any problems.

The problem is still happening at random. Although today I went to go do some 4x4'ing and when I was going to turn around and shifted into reverse and it started acting up and then finally the 4x4 gave up the ghost, but it was the only light that went on.

Now let me say that the FDII mode in FWD is pretty interesting, i'm sure my tires help but thank god the esp light didn't come on or I probably wouldn't have made it up the few hills to get back out to the main road.

So for now it appears the 4x4 has stopped working until I get it fixed, and boy do I miss it, its amazing how much better the patriot handles snow and ice with it's awd.

One bit of promising information is that I read on a jeep message board (can't remember which one) and someone in a GC was having a similar problem and it had something to do with the ground for his aftermarket amp causing interference, i'm going to test out this theory and see what happens, i'll pull the fuse to my amp and if that solves the problem then I know where to start rewiring.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The clicking is coming from the module right above the left foot stomp pad. I have been trying to track down this problem for a few months now. I read some where else that they replaced the wheel hub assemblies and also new sensors that came with them and it started working again. Then I here about others saying they just dried it out and it started working again. It is just driving me nuts and I'm about to just go back to ford.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I say take it in to the dealership. As long as you are the original owner, you will be covered under power train warranty. Let us know what happened. Best of luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well I purchased mine in the states but now I am stationed here in Germany and Chrysler will not honor my 7 year 70,000 mile warranty that I paid 1,700 EXTRA for. so I am stuck trying to track this problem down myself. Any help anyone has will be very helpful ie. Color of wire and exact location. Next step I will be ordering a new module off of mopar.com as well new hubs with new sensors. So if I have a break through I will post it also. I also found that mopar.com sells everything that you will/want for a patriot that you might not havE gotten from the factory ie. Subwoofer enclosure or lift gate speaker panel and everything else that you can think of. And it is 2 times cheaper there also

1 - 20 of 50 Posts