Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was driving down the road and the three yellow dash lights in the title came on along with a chime sound binging every couple minutes. I could also hear a clicking like a solenoid or something. My 08 pat still drove normal so I looked in the manual and it says to bring to dealership. Ugh. I came hear and read some posts about it and found out it was most likely a bad wire in the driver side which it was. Many thanks and good carma goes to Daveladart for pointing this out you saved me big time! I cant find the post so I'm relaying the info here.

If this happens to you follow these steps to fix it.

1. remove foot rest on drivers side floor. The cover snaps off and under that there is more plastic held down by two 10mm bolts. I used a deep socket and ratchet to get it off.

2. remove or move plastic kick panel on left lower side of drivers side (were hood latch is). This is done by removing a retainer thing on the upper part under dash, use a flat screwdriver and pry it off. If you want to take the whole thing off it can snap off near the middle with quick downward pressure but not necessary.

3. Now you can see all the Wires

The culprit is the pink wires that loop back and have cloth tape on them. mine didn't look that bad until I cut the tape and pulled them up and they were so corroded they fell apart as you can see in the pics. I cut the tape off, cut the wires back about 2 inches and striped them and twisted all four of them together with a wire nut, electric tape covering the nut and down the wire.

4. Try it out. I failed a couple of times because I was twisting 2 and 2 together separately and it didn't work right until I put all four wires together.

5. Now put all the stuff back and thank dave and patriot forums for saving you a day of your life waiting at the dealership and hundreds they would have charged you.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
i did the same and then got high quality electric tape around the whole wire bunch from the area up to the middle pillar where it goes up and not in the rear footwell

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Awesome job on the pictures newmanbr. This was an often suggested inspect/fix item for the dash lights on, but no one had taken any pictures before. Reputation score added! Mods, this should be archived in the knowledge base section.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i did the same and then got high quality electric tape around the whole wire bunch from the area up to the middle pillar where it goes up and not in the rear footwell
That is a good Idea! The wires are sitting on top of the carpet and are very prone to getting wet. The main reason for this failure is the cloth tape covering the wires in question holds the moisture and corrodes them (very poor design). I mean really it is right next to your foot and I do not wipe my feet before getting into my jeep, come on man. Waterproofing the whole bunch while you have it apart is a great preventive tip. I think one of the main reasons mine failed was it has been snowing out and been below freezing until the day it happened we had a thaw. All the snow and salt that accumulated on my drivers side floor melted and easily found its way to the weakest point the cloth tape.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
That is a good Idea! The wires are sitting on top of the carpet and are very prone to getting wet. The main reason for this failure is the cloth tape covering the wires in question holds the moisture and corrodes them (very poor design). I mean really it is right next to your foot and I do not wipe my feet before getting into my jeep, come on man. Waterproofing the whole bunch while you have it apart is a great preventive tip. I think one of the main reasons mine failed was it has been snowing out and been below freezing until the day it happened we had a thaw. All the snow and salt that accumulated on my drivers side floor melted and easily found its way to the weakest point the cloth tape.
that's what i thought and so i used plastic electric tape.
checked yesterday,everything looks good there.
only thing,careful with the plastics as it is cold and they can break

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having similar problems with the ABS, ESP and snake lights on my 2009 4WD. Just checked the same wiring harness and the looped pink wires had been encased in a plastic shrink-wrap with some sort of wax filler to keep moisture out. I guess Jeep did away with the cloth tape at some point.

·
Premium Member
3,448 Posts
They make an electrical crimp fitting that is considered "gas-tight" meaning it will not support corrosion in the joint. I suspect these cost 25 cents when what this harness maker did cost a nickel!

When I was a factory engineer designing electrical components and harnesses for an industrial environment where heat, moisture and other extremes existed, we always err'd on the side of reliability. Of course, we were "cost+plus" on the pricing...

·
Registered
241 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 2007 FDII patriot (US) does NOT have this loop in the wiring harness. My ABS light is on in addition to the other lights listed. Also the cruise control will not engage. I think my issue is a wheel speed sensor. Jeep must have used a different wiring harness after '07 or on the non US patriots. Also the electrical tape surrounding the wiring harness is not cloth but plastic. Very interesting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the esp/bas, trac control, and abs lights on as well. Took it to the dealer and they wanted to replace the abs module and master cylinder for $1,200. I checked the wiring problem and they don't look they're in very bad shape to me but I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for. Do these pictures look like good wires?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank You

I know this post is a couple of years old but because of it I was able to quickly locate these wires, remove the tape and find the corrosion which was causing my ABS to go haywire and causing all the issues mentioned above.

Thanks!:pepper:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the exact same issue with mine, pictures are exactly what happened to mine. I used a wire nut to get the 4 wires together, then electrical tape, and voilà. Hopefully it will last another 11 years and a half.

So I was driving down the road and the three yellow dash lights in the title came on along with a chime sound binging every couple minutes. I could also hear a clicking like a solenoid or something. My 08 pat still drove normal so I looked in the manual and it says to bring to dealership. Ugh. I came hear and read some posts about it and found out it was most likely a bad wire in the driver side which it was. Many thanks and good carma goes to Daveladart for pointing this out you saved me big time! I cant find the post so I'm relaying the info here.

1. remove foot rest on drivers side floor. The cover snaps off and under that there is more plastic held down by two 10mm bolts. I used a deep socket and ratchet to get it off.

2. remove or move plastic kick panel on left lower side of drivers side (were hood latch is). This is done by removing a retainer thing on the upper part under dash, use a flat screwdriver and pry it off. If you want to take the whole thing off it can snap off near the middle with quick downward pressure but not necessary.

The culprit is the pink wires that loop back and have cloth tape on them. mine didn't look that bad until I cut the tape and pulled them up and they were so corroded they fell apart as you can see in the pics. I cut the tape off, cut the wires back about 2 inches and striped them and twisted all four of them together with a wire nut, electric tape covering the nut and down the wire.

4. Try it out. I failed a couple of times because I was twisting 2 and 2 together separately and it didn't work right until I put all four wires together.

5. Now put all the stuff back and thank dave and patriot forums for saving you a day of your life waiting at the dealership and hundreds they would have charged you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I had the same lights on my dashboards, ESB/BAS, and the snake thing, and the 4WD (not 4WD!) however I try to spot that four wire but didn't manage to find them, here a picture of the wires driver side.

I try to look in that many wires here but couldn't find the loop of 4 pink wires.

If anybody have a clue on where could I find them, or maybe I don't have them, It's 2007 model 2.4L manual gear.

Thanks,
David.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have the same problem. 2014 Patriot Latitude 4X4.

One independent shop said "Probably differential"
Second Dodge/Jeep only independent shop said "Too new. FCA won't let us have re-flashes and downloads. Go to the dealer."
The dealer said "We can't find any problems. It did store a code so we know you're not lying but we hooked it up to the scanner and drove it around. Everything is working as it should."

I drove it home from the dealer, tried to climb a small dirt hill (20 yards maybe?) on my property and about 3/4 of the way up, the rears failed, the fronts started spinning and the "4WD!" light came on and flashed.

I checked the wire harness on the drivers side kick panel, apparently by 2014 (2011 refresh?), they redesigned the cheesy wiring splice so that's no longer an issue.

I checked the wiring under the relay below the driver's headlight, it looked fine. I pulled the relay, none of the spades looked cooked. Same with the wiring under the 15 amp 4wd fuse....so I'm about out of the normal You Tube fixes.

This car has seen nothing but highway miles from super commuting and snow a couple times a year, it's never been thrashed.

I'm at a loss here.............

·
Registered
241 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,092 Posts
Do You still have your Patriot ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the same problem. 2014 Patriot Latitude 4X4.

One independent shop said "Probably differential"
Second Dodge/Jeep only independent shop said "Too new. FCA won't let us have re-flashes and downloads. Go to the dealer."
The dealer said "We can't find any problems. It did store a code so we know you're not lying but we hooked it up to the scanner and drove it around. Everything is working as it should."

I drove it home from the dealer, tried to climb a small dirt hill (20 yards maybe?) on my property and about 3/4 of the way up, the rears failed, the fronts started spinning and the "4WD!" light came on and flashed.

I checked the wire harness on the drivers side kick panel, apparently by 2014 (2011 refresh?), they redesigned the cheesy wiring splice so that's no longer an issue.

I checked the wiring under the relay below the driver's headlight, it looked fine. I pulled the relay, none of the spades looked cooked. Same with the wiring under the 15 amp 4wd fuse....so I'm about out of the normal You Tube fixes.

This car has seen nothing but highway miles from super commuting and snow a couple times a year, it's never been thrashed.

I'm at a loss here.............
I just watched a guy who unbolted the ''Fuse Block'' next to the Battery & the group of wires that plug into the bottom of it that handle Fuse #2, the fuse that handles the 4WD & in that plug, he pulled out a wire that was corroded on the end, pealed back the wrap about 1/2 inch till it was all good copper wire, put it back into the plug, then plugged it back into the Fuse Block & the 4WD! Light was off. What worries me is if it can happen to 1 wire, there's a lot of wires that could also corrode. Mine turned out to be a missing fuse in the #2 slot. That solved my problem but I was ready to lift that Fuse Block tomorrow & check that Plug that handles the #2 Fuse Slot, or 4WD! Light issue....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Than

1 - 20 of 25 Posts