Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 jeep patriot high altitude
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
First post, so i hope im posting in the right spot.

Im sure this has been answered before, but im not finding much on the subject and im hoping to get some advice.

I have a 2016 jeep patriot with 108,000km on it and my extended warranty just ran out.

Back in February i started my jeep and the whole dash was lit up like a christmas tree, my jeep went into full limp mode and had to take her to the dealership. The told me it was a bad throttle body, they replaced it and the PCM. Since then... I've had 3 different throttle body's put in by the dealer, because they keep "failing". These last 3 times the throttle body has went, its not going into limp mode, the ETC light starts blinking which put on my CEL and then the ETC goes off but CEL stays on. Its still fully driveable but does have a bit of lag. (But of course, im terrifed to drive it just incase it does go back into limp mode)

So fast forward to today.. Jeep is back in the shop.. Throttle body went again, dealership is replacing the throttle body and the PCM again. I told the dealership that im growing extremely frustrated with having a broken jeep and they told me that its a ticking time bomb and to get rid of it...

Has anyone ever experienced this? I find it unusual that 4 throttle bodys failed in 6 months! There has to be something else going on? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for reading!;)

·
Administrator
6,857 Posts
I don't recall anyone here going through more than a couple of bad throttle bodys.

Would be nice if the dealer could say WHY they failed and what codes were presents as opposed to just swapping the parts out. If possible, you may want to consider going to a different dealer.

Other than that, my suggestion would be getting a scanner that can read and record live system data so you can hopefully have a better idea as to whats going on.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2016 jeep patriot high altitude
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

I have a scanner and everytime it goes and i scan it these codes come up
P0121 - Throttle position sensor performance
P2135 - throttle position sensor 1/2 correlation

The dealership told me they know there's a bigger issue but they arent sure what it is. They tried to blame it on the gas i was putting in. The only advice the dealership has really given me is to trade it in and im not ready to see my baby go.

·
Administrator
6,857 Posts
Those two codes involve the same components; the PCM, throttle body, and wiring/connectors. I doubt it's to do with gas, but I could be wrong.

Since they've replaced the first two, my guess is that it's wiring harness/connector related, and when the parts are removed the problem may be getting masked due to moving the connectors/wires around. Vibration from driving around makes it re-occur.

I've posted the wiring diagram and possible causes from the service manual below.

p0121

p2135

As a side note, if you're having problems working with a dealer PM member JeepCares with your VIN, dealer info, etc. and they might be able to help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What was the end result of this? I also have a 2016 High Altitude showing the same codes.

New throttle body, new accelerator pedal, new PCV valve, new battery, new spark plugs, new air filter, and the ETC and CEL started coming on daily when it was fine for months (after those repairs/parts were added). No rough idle, no limp mode... Jeep drives fine but I fear those things are going to happen eventually and leave me stranded.

·
Registered
349 Posts
What was the end result of this? I also have a 2016 High Altitude showing the same codes.

New throttle body, new accelerator pedal, new PCV valve, new battery, new spark plugs, new air filter, and the ETC and CEL started coming on daily when it was fine for months (after those repairs/parts were added). No rough idle, no limp mode... Jeep drives fine but I fear those things are going to happen eventually and leave me stranded.
Sell that sh*t.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys,

Im sure this has been answered before, but im not finding much on the subject and im hoping to get some advice.

I have a 2016 jeep patriot with 108,000km on it and my extended warranty just ran out.

Back in February i started my jeep and the whole dash was lit up like a christmas tree, my jeep went into full limp mode and had to take her to the dealership. The told me it was a bad throttle body, they replaced it and the PCM. Since then... I've had 3 different throttle body's put in by the dealer, because they keep "failing". These last 3 times the throttle body has went, its not going into limp mode, the ETC light starts blinking which put on my CEL and then the ETC goes off but CEL stays on. Its still fully driveable but does have a bit of lag. (But of course, im terrifed to drive it just incase it does go back into limp mode)

So fast forward to today.. Jeep is back in the shop.. Throttle body went again, dealership is replacing the throttle body and the PCM again. I told the dealership that im growing extremely frustrated with having a broken jeep and they told me that its a ticking time bomb and to get rid of it...

Has anyone ever experienced this? I find it unusual that 4 throttle bodys failed in 6 months! There has to be something else going on? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for reading!;)
I’ve had 2 throttle body’s replaced on my 2011 2wd 2.4l
The last event we thought it was the throttle body again…but it wasn’t. It was a difficult find but my shop mechanic replaced the intake manifold and it’s as smooth and zippy as ever at 297,000 mi

·
Registered
839 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks for reading!;)
sounds like your dealer is lazy and they are just throwing parts at it. so sad. i no longer have my jessie, and i miss her, but i never had issues with her. she was a 2017 tho with only 39k miles on her when i sold her to carvana- 16k for her where i paid 21k for her brand new. kinda regret selling her though as she was exceptionally good in snow and easy to maintain. oh well.... i was tired of dealing with the juggle of 3 vehicles and my other vehicle i have had since new in 2006 is an 07 xterra 4x4 in like new condition. so don't let the dealer tell you it's a ticking time bomb. they are one of the best jeeps out there reliability wise and they jsut don't know what they are doing. ping keep cares here and/or find another dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts