Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Widest Tire. 295/50/16 BFG TAs on Jeep Patriot! (with no lift) look and feel great!

Patriot Team,

They said it could not be done, they said it should not be done. Perhaps an irrational and emotional decision on my part.. but I had to do it to get the look I really wanted in this little 4 cylinder wonder.

I'm very happy to report they fit and run great!

Below are pictures of my 2008 Jeep Patriot 2x4 cvt 2.0 with American Racing Rims 16x8 (12mm Offset) with BF Goodrich 295/50/16 TA s(that's an 11.6 inch wide tire with roughly the same height as a stock 16). No rubbing of any kind. I've even tested with hard turns and breaking. Over the next week I will test with extremely hard turns, breaks, inclines and drops .. but so far, no indication of rubbing. Again, this is all on the stock suspension, no lift, no spacers, no mods.

I know its very much a personal choice to put wide (fat) tires on the Pat, but it's the look I REALLY wanted and I feel it gives THE JEEP A much BALLSier look and feel. The car performs very well with them, handling and acceleration feels great.

I'll give you guys an update in a week or so. And I send an MPG update in a few weeks.

I do believe this is the fatest tire and rim combo you can get on the Pat.

Here are some pics. Enjoy.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
My only concern would be that since the tires seem to stick out ever so slightly past the fender, you would fail inspection when it comes up. Otherwise, they look good!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Im in Florida where they stopped inspections a while back. But I don't recall tires sticking out being one their check points.

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,679 Posts
My main concern is :::: if you get these Bogged down anywhere, your transmission could suffer some serious damage!!--- I'd just stick to Tarmac if I was you!!!

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,679 Posts
Sorry !!!! Is you Pat only 4x2??? should be OK then!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great pics, I like the wider look as well. I've been wondering about upping the tire size as I'll be due for some around summer. You'll have to let us know how it affects gas mileage

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks great!

Did you get an alignment yet? The rears look like the camber needs to be adjusted.

unfortunately, you'll need the adjustable upper control arms from RRO to be able to adjust it.
No alignment done. Seems to be driving nice and straight. Are you saying that because the rear tires seem to be leaning inward in the pic? That must be an optical illusion.. I can't see the truck right now, why would a wider tires do that?

·
Registered
472 Posts
thats wild lol, looks very nice with the wider tires. i got one question though, will it hydroplane easier now that the tire is wider and wont have a chance to make contact with the road at high speed. but u live in Florida right, i guess you'll be ok then. i want to get wider tires to but want to stick with my stock 16s for winter driving. i was thinking of 225/80/16 tire. that way to give more clearence, but summer rims and tires. will definitely be 20's.

once again, very nice setup

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
the wider tires put the inner contact point of the tire to ground closer the center of the Jeep (yeah, stop calling it your car please...). I'm pretty sure this will result in the wheels being cambered in.

The rear pic looks like the wheels are angled in at the top.

Take an L-square on some concrete ground and check how vertical your rims are. Might save you some tire wear, although you seem to switch tires every couple months, so it shouldn't be a problem. ;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
the wider tires put the inner contact point of the tire to ground closer the center of the Jeep (yeah, stop calling it your car please...). I'm pretty sure this will result in the wheels being cambered in.

The rear pic looks like the wheels are angled in at the top.

Take an L-square on some concrete ground and check how vertical your rims are. Might save you some tire wear, although you seem to switch tires every couple months, so it shouldn't be a problem. ;)
lol. I'll take that.

I just got off the phone with the tire shop. They said the camber setting on the Pat is preset and fixed and it's only noticable to me now with these fatter tires are on. I actually could sware I remembering seeing the same thing with the prior tires. But I do see your point, it's the tire itself that is chambered ?? not the rim or the mount right?

I took a look a the Jeep again and that picture is very deceptive, there is a very very slight lean in, but not anywhere as bad as that pic would indicate, and actually I'm pretty sure it was there with my 235/60/16s too. If what you are saying is that because the center point (the offset) of the tire is closer to the center of the car, then this would have more to do with offset of my rims and not the tires right? Afterall the tires expand out in both directions regardless of width. And my offsets are actually further out and not in.

I'll need to look into this further.

thanks.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
the tire shop's right - the Pat suspension doesn't have camber adjustment unless you add in the RRO lift components.

I'm not sure if there's a camber problem with super wide tires, but I think the extra width may cause the suspension to sit differently than with stock tires. Just something to be aware of.

I checked my camber after lifting in the carport, and my numbers were confirmed with the alignment.

Take a large L-square (a carpenters tool) and put one side on level cement. Put the vertical edge against your tire and measure the distance to the edge of your rims, at the top and at the bottom of the wheel. The distance will be the same if the wheel is vertical (0 camber). If you've got some math background, you can calculate the angle of the wheel based on the measurements. Basically - measure how vertical your rims are to the ground.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
There was an optical illusion in that initial picture, what I think you see is the curve of the tire.

Yes there is a slight lean in, maybe 3/8 of an inch. But I suspect stock has a slight lean in too.

I think really not worth messing with.

Check these out.

So far so good.

Thanks.

·
Mr. December 2008
854 Posts
nice fatties!

Good look with your Pat based on where you're at! I looked at the numbers and your sidewall is only an inch shorter than mine and overall diameter is 2 inches shorter than mine, which is why I can see no clearance problems on your end. Nice job!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Cyber, I can't believe I missed this thread for 2-weeks!
Does look great.
I'm wondering what other sizes did you find before you decided, say 265s? I understand you going for the 'beef' look.
First, you will have to protect your paint, either with flaps or laminates. Your splashs and leading edge rear flares will suffer gravely.
I would like to see your ride in person, let's rally, we are only 80 miles apart.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
A++ for your effort and dedication, Cyberpine! It is not a look I like, but you've got some smarts and balls to figure it out and try it. Glad it worked out for you and you've got a one of a kind Patriot.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Cyber, I can't believe I missed this thread for 2-weeks!
Does look great.
I'm wondering what other sizes did you find before you decided, say 265s? I understand you going for the 'beef' look.
First, you will have to protect your paint, either with flaps or laminates. Your splashs and leading edge rear flares will suffer gravely.
I would like to see your ride in person, let's rally, we are only 80 miles apart.
Original steel rims had 205/70/16 (way too skinny and offset not to my liking). Sold rims and tires for $300.

First I had 255/65/16 on AR Fuel Rims (16x8 12mm offset). Those rubbed on full lock and hard breaks.. exchanged (no charge) those after a few weeks for

235/60/16 - these ran and looked good, but not the really that wide look I was looking for.. so after a few months I sold these for half what I paid and got these next ones.. (Note Paid roughly $900 for rims and tires and installation). Later Sold Tires for ($200) to guy in the shop.

295/50/16 - and it's exactly the look I wanted and currently wearing. ($150 a tire + install = $700.. ouch)

Net Cost for my Excellent Tire/Wheel Adventure = -$900 (cost of rims/tires) +$300 (originals sold) +$200(tire rebates) +$200(tires sold) -$700 (BFGs) = -$900 (tires and rims)

LOL.. damn I know that seems like fuzzy math.. but it's for real... Was there time and money wasted??.. sure.. was it in Vain?? - HELL NO!

I did also consider these:

265/60/16 . I don't think these exist any more.

There were some 255/55/16 UHP from Kumho with a really nice tread I was also considering, but also tough to find. Not sure If would have made the move to these since only .75 inches wider than my 235.

The nice thing about the 295/50/16s is they are very close to stock height so donut will work.

I've gotten many compliments and looks on the road .. It really gives the Pat a totally mean and beefy look.

So far absolutely no rubbing issue! And I've actually not noticed a drop in MPG from the 235s. I've never done better than 21mpg since I do mostly city driving and always have my windows open even on highway. Also I think my Yakima roof rack is likely costing me at least 1mpg.

There is a premium for the 295/50/16 at $150 a tire vs about $90 for the 235/50/16 Hankooks.

I'm very happy - so long as I own this Jeep it will likely wear this size. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
That has been an Xcellent journey. I approve!:D
When I dumped the SRAs and found the Pep Boyz 4-4-3 tire deal, plus sold the SRAs; that was the deal for me (wifey).
Cheaper journey even with the lift.LOL

·
Registered
55 Posts
WIDDDE

Cyberpine, looks tight dude! I was wondering, I have similar wide tires, and they throw rocks/gravel @ other cars. Have you found any wider flares for the wheel wells that can be painted to match the vehicle by any chance ?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts