Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are my new wheels, they are 235/75R15 Tires. The tires came on the wheels and were in good shape so I used them. I like the fitment and looks great in person. The wheels are stock 15" wheels off of a YJ. I powder coated them with a light textured black, sonething different. These maybe hard to keep clean because of the texture, but I like the look of them and so does my wife:smiley_thumbs_up:! Sorry the tires need to be cleaned:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
NICE CHOICE!

But I had heard that 15's would work on MK's because of the rear calipers. Do you have "drum" brakes in the rear?

I've always liked white vehicles....my old '94 XJ was white with tinted windows and black wheels. Your Patriot reminds me of it.

·
Registered
618 Posts
nice! that looks good!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NICE CHOICE!

But I had heard that 15's would work on MK's because of the rear calipers. Do you have "drum" brakes in the rear?
I didn't have any problem with the rear, I have rear disc brakes, there is plenty of room. As for the front there were fiment issues, to where lightly ground down the caliper down a bit, very little, and cleanly. I think my next order of business will be to powder coat the calipers.

I've always liked white vehicles....my old '94 XJ was white with tinted windows and black wheels. Your Patriot reminds me of it.
Thank you very much!

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
its a nice combo and i like the textured black it almost looks like a flat. it looks good :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Nice look! Did you get some extra height from the wheel set? Looks like you got some extra offset from the rims.

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
That is what Jeep wheels should look like.:smiley_thumbs_up:

I wish you had done this before I powder coated my stock Patriot wheels for basically the same look. I really wanted 15" wheels. I had forgotten about that basic Wrangler wheel with the large backspacing.

I went high gloss powder coat. I swear, just a quick rinse and they look like new again. View attachment 3630

Nice work.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
not to jack the tread but i also like what jepstr67 has done with his stock rims :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've gotten a slight lift from tires only and its very minimal. As for the wheels there is a greater offset from the stock wheels. These take the wheels to almost flush with the outside of the fender, which is the look I'm looking for. Thanks everyone for the compliments!

·
Registered
550 Posts
These are my new wheels, they are 235/75R15 Tires. The tires came on the wheels and were in good shape so I used them. I like the fitment and looks great in person. The wheels are stock 15" wheels off of a YJ. I powder coated them with a light textured black, sonething different. These maybe hard to keep clean because of the texture, but I like the look of them and so does my wife:smiley_thumbs_up:! Sorry the tires need to be cleaned:confused:
Just one comment...rebalance and put those weights inside the wheels...otherwise looks great:) I was trying to put 15' on as well, only calipers doesn't allow, I need spacers or that wouldn't make any change?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thank you very much!
You said that you ground down the caliper. Do you have any pics? What did you use to grind them down? How much did you take off?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will try to get some pictures up by the end of the weekend, I used an angle grinder and took very little off. The wheels fit on and tightened down fine but in some spots the wheel would rub the caliper and in some spots it wouldn't. So the amount I removed was very minimal.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nice job.

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
FYI for those interested, when I tried to put the Caliber wheel on the Patriot, I had to cut about 1/8 inch from the wheel, which I then decided was unsafe. Later I discovered it may not have had to be that much (by cutting the wheel in half). I would say, if you wanted to fit the Caliber wheel on there, cutting 3/32 off the caliper would do it. You might even get by with 1/6". The reason I did not do it is that I did not want to grind through the zinc plating on the caliper.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is true about grinding through the zinc plating on the caliper, that is why I'm going to powder coat the caliper also when I get the time.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is a pic of one of the calipers I ground down. Sorry about the low quality cell phone pic. I will take more after I powder coat the calipers.

caliper.jpg

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Painted Center Caps to Match

I decided to take my wheels off and paint the center caps to match the wheels, so here is my write up nothing special but it worked and looks better to me.

I removed the center caps and taped off the center emblem. Then took a razor blade and cut the excess tape from around the emblem. I then took sandpaper, I think around 160 grit, don't remember but it wasn't coarse and wasn't fine, and scuffed up the original paint. I then used a textured black spray paint made by Rust-Oleum to match the wheels. Here is how it turned out. The first pic is the center cap before.

2_23_09 008.jpg

2_23_09 007.jpg

2_23_09 005.jpg

2_23_09 006.jpg

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
koolkatken, curious about front-end feedback with the wider stance.
Care to comment on that? And yes, I agree with Heckler, black is back!
Prolly powdercoat the 17s next time the wife is out of town. LOL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts