Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went ahead and bought four Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus tyres and had them fitted today. Size 225/65/r17.

My previous AT tyres (though more road-oriented) were Michelin Latitude Cross 235/55/r17.

The Pirelli's didn't have that size but they had 235/65/r17, which after reading a few threads on here, most seemed to suggest that size would rub on full lock for an unmodified Patriot, so I opted for the 225's instead.

Downsides are:

1. The tyres of course now look a bit narrower, but yeah.....we all like wide tyres haha
2. Going for the 225/65 now means tyre is taller and apparently this offsets your speedometer and now it shows slower speeds than car is driving right? It seemed that way earlier tbh.
3. Taller/Thinner means slightly worse cornering in the dry, yes?

Upsides (I hope):

1. Better traction for any off-roading/winter driving as apparently thinner/taller = better for mud/snow
2. Better acceleration?

Initial observations after 20 miles driven earlier:

1. Handling/cornering seems as good as Michelins
2. Braking I think is marginally worse but people say you need to "break in new tyres," is this really true?
3. Road noise has definitely increased and ride feels a bit more bumpy. Can't say I'm surprised, it's a more aggressive AT, so I expected this.

Any other differences I should notice? And what will happen to my acceleration now I've changed to the 225/65s....some people say you get faster, others say slower?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump.....cmon one of you 90 viewers must have a valuable say on this!

BTW - turns out the increase in noise in these tyres was because the garage that put them on did not secure the wheels correctly! A vibrating steering wheel at 40-50mph and a clunking noise every second at 5mph parking up. Had a closer look and about 5 front lug nuts in both front wheels were fucking loose! And one of my locking nuts had been rounded off, so had to replace that and retighten the others.Rear wheels were fine.

Did that and the drive was smooth as hell, barely noisier than the Michelins now. Just waiting for some mud/snow after i've worn em in a bit more.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,058 Posts
I can't add anything of value about those tyres, the only tyres I've had on my Patriot have been Goodyear Wrangler SR-As and Falken Wildpeak AT/3's, both in stock 215/65-17 size. But, if the speedometer difference bothers you, you can use Appcar DiagFCA to correct it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't add anything of value about those tyres, the only tyres I've had on my Patriot have been Goodyear Wrangler SR-As and Falken Wildpeak AT/3's, both in stock 215/65-17 size. But, if the speedometer difference bothers you, you can use Appcar DiagFCA to correct it.

Thanks for the link man, though I'm gonna go with "JScan" which is a tad cheaper, if you're familiar? Will get the "veepeak" OBDII bluetooth scanner that's on amazon and download Jscan which is another app specifically designed for jeeps and works via IOS or Android. $18 licence I believe. But fair do's Appcar DiagFCA looks like a quality tool.

How are the Falken Wildpeak AT3s? I'll be honest, they nearly swayed me, but the Pirelli's are fairly unknown yet have amazing reviews so putting my faith in them!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone browsing this, as you can see - the Pirellis are definitely more aggressive, despite my crap camera shake!

Latitude Cross, according to Michelin:

"35% off-road, 65% on." M + S rated.

Scorpion AT Plus, according to Pirelli:

"60% off-road, 40% on." M + S rated, and 3PMSF rated.

PS AT Plus 2.JPG

·
Registered
225 Posts
3. Taller/Thinner means slightly worse cornering in the dry, yes?
In theory, yes. Probably not enough to really notice in practice, your contact patch won't be too much smaller.

1. Better traction for any off-roading/winter driving as apparently thinner/taller = better for mud/snow
Not necessarily, the idea is that tall skinny tires ("pizza cutters") will sink down to where there's more solid terrain and find grip there. But we're talking much larger tires, like 35's and up. In our size range I'd say it falls again to contact patch, the more contact with the road surface the better. I've found running a slightly lower PSI (around 32) gives me better snow traction, and if you're offroad you'll probably be running around 25.

2. Better acceleration?
Unfortunately not, a larger tire decreases the torque you can apply to the road surface, effectively giving you a taller gearing, which makes the vehicle work more to get up to speed. The upside is that at highway speeds, once you're up to speed, this means you can maintain a given velocity with a lower RPM, improving your fuel economy.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,058 Posts
Thanks for the link man, though I'm gonna go with "JScan" which is a tad cheaper, if you're familiar? Will get the "veepeak" OBDII bluetooth scanner that's on amazon and download Jscan which is another app specifically designed for jeeps and works via IOS or Android. $18 licence I believe. But fair do's Appcar DiagFCA looks like a quality tool.

How are the Falken Wildpeak AT3s? I'll be honest, they nearly swayed me, but the Pirelli's are fairly unknown yet have amazing reviews so putting my faith in them!
I never heard of JScan. I'll have to check it out. Sometimes, breaking out the laptop to use Appcar can be a pain.

I love the Wildpeak AT3s. They have been good in the little bit of off-roading I've done with them, but they have been terrific on-road in the Buffalo, NY snow and ice. My only little gripe is the road noise. I don't really notice it anymore, but i've had people in my Jeep that asked me what was wrong with it because of the noise.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never heard of JScan. I'll have to check it out. Sometimes, breaking out the laptop to use Appcar can be a pain.

I love the Wildpeak AT3s. They have been good in the little bit of off-roading I've done with them, but they have been terrific on-road in the Buffalo, NY snow and ice. My only little gripe is the road noise. I don't really notice it anymore, but i've had people in my Jeep that asked me what was wrong with it because of the noise.
I just got the veepeak OBDII scanner today and am gonna hook it up to the jeep tomorrow after work. I will download Jscan and let you know what I think of it. Should be able to change my tyre size to what it should be tomorrow.

I'm not actually sure we have the AT3s in the UK. I googled them and the aggressive looking falken AT tyre fitting that model name is not for sale in any UK tyre place....seems to just be Australia and the US.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts