Jeep Patriot Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The new tax changes were a negative for me...the changes in the deductions hurt...I am receiving close to $800 less this year...paid more taxes with a similar income. My state refund was similar to prior years. Not happy with the new tax law.
Thats weird, I see you are in ohio which supposively is low tax. Do you know if anything else changed since 2017 to 2018 besides the tax structure? Did your deductions change like tuition expenses or maybe a kid isn't a dependent anymore?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Read the link I posted earlier. a 23% rate would give the federal government more than they take in on taxes now and still reduce most peoples tax burdens. [/URL]
I disagree a 23% income tax would be enough if it was only on non food items.

Like I said, I hardly buy anything but food items. I only buy pants once a year, shoes once a year, electronics once a year. I think most people would fall into this category. If you only make my 4 times a year trip only 23% more expensive, that would hardly make up for the thousands not taken in income tax.

I probably spend more on home improvement than I do on anything else besides food. I guess they could tax that 23% but still would probably only come up to 1000 dollars in taxes at most.

If they think this 23% sales tax would work, then go for it because it would benefit me a ton. I would pay probably 70% less taxes because of it.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,532 Posts
Some pay more for reasons unrelated to income, some less. Some shop around more, some less. Alot of my purchases involve food considering my profession as a trucker, but I still make non-food purchases often enough. Just ordered an old Losi XXX4 off ebay, and a still-unpainted body for it. And asked a local fabrication shop about making a CB antenna mirror mount for my Patriot. And every month or two I'm in the local auto parts store for wipers or oil or something. All this brings up questions like would private sales such as done via ebay, craigslist, garage sales, etc., be charged this tax? Most of my Amazon purchases aren't currently taxed, but I'm guessing they would be in this hypothetical scenario? And what if people start charging less money for things because of this? Unlikely as it may sound, a group or community could exercise their choice to lower prices and do some good for those around them while easing the local tax burden.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I lucked out. Usually pay in, but reaching 65, dropped income, and properties, my agent says I should continue to file each year, because if I do and continue doing the same deductions, I am guaranteed $1500.00 extra per year. Aint much on rocket science, and aint much on stupid neither, so as long as my bones takes me down once a year I'll have money for about a week anyway.....

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
finally got my refund. Over 4000 dollars. Thanks trump for making me pay less taxes last year and even though I already adjusted to decrease my withholding last year, I still got a big refund. For once I feel like I am not the one paying for all the handouts as much. Way to go middle class!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts